News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Tell us about it...

Started by JTK, February 11, 2004, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTK

Now, having read the "Cheese" topic I'm hungry. And I'm wondering which culinary enjoyments we can look forward to coming to Budapest. Where and what for should we spend our money to fill our stomachs?  8) What are Hungary's best specialities?

CTG

T?lt?ttk?poszta, hal?szl?, guly?s, hortob?gyi h?sos palacsinta, stb. :)

But ask Zak, he is the waiter!  :P

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I vote for hal?szl?.

And of course we'll drink p?linka after it.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

Oh i forgot to mention Soml?i galuska, paprik?skrumpli and a drink as Akoss mentioned: real home made p?linka (50-60 vol% alcohol)!  :)

JTK

I'm in deep need of a food translator now  :wink:

CTG

OK, I try!

T?lt?tt k?poszta = stuffed cabbage
Hal?szl? = fishsoup
Hortob?gyi h?sos palacsinta= pancake filled with some kind of meat
Paprik?skrumpli = not so easy to explain, it is based on potato, pepper, sauasage and a lot of other things... :)
Soml?i galuska = dessert
Guly?s = I don't think i must explain it...
P?linka = home made spirit, it is made from fruits and contains 50-60 vol% alcohol

Anyway my favorite ones are t?lt?tt k?poszta, paprik?skrumpli and a non-hungarian one: grenadiermarsch (called krumpist?szta in hungarian).  :wink:

zaqrack

because they didnt care about explaining the things, I'll do that now :)

The majority of the Hungarian foods is based on meat, and thats usually pork. They are quite spicy and hot, western people often consider them greasy.
But if you like meat, and spicy foods you'll like them.
So I'll explain now the foods the others mentioned. :)

T?lt?tt k?poszta = stuffed cabbage
Take minced meat, mix it with rice, form balls from it, cover it with cabbage leaves, and put in a big boil full of "sauerkraut :)" and some bacon + spices. Then cook for a while.
Serve with clotted cream on the top + fresh bread.

Hal?szl? = Hungarian fish soup, really hot with lots of paprika, cooked from carp. In good restaurants its served in "bogr?cs" what is a deep black metal bowl. Again with clotted cream and bread, its one of the best Hungarian foods imho :)

Guly?s = Gulasch  :) You sure must know this one.

Hortob?gyi h?sos palacsinta = pancake filled with meat "Hortob?gy" style

Thats usually chicken meat cooked with paprika (its called p?rk?lt, has a nice red color), this is filled into pancakes, coated with the sauce of the meat + clotted cream (its quite popular in Hungary I must say :)) Usually served as appetizer.

Soml?i galuska: sponge bricks coated with chocolate and whipped cream

Now my computer lesson is over so I must go, but I'll continue.

CTG

Oooops I'm hungry! Zak, will u cook in the school today?  :)

CTG

And another question to Zak: what's your plan about foods on the meeting? Will you cook or will we rather visit a restaurant?

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Or we will eat tinned food/food cooked from tinned food again?
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

JTK

I definitely like meat and spicy stuff! T?lt?tt k?poszta sounds like a dream to me as I read your description. Litres of water are running out of my wide open mouth and I guess I have to buy a new keyboard for work soon  :lol:

All of this sounds good. Please serve in that order  :)

zaqrack

I bought my cooking suit today and got the plans for the cooking lessons for this semester :)
I wont copy it here but we'll cook all those things, serve it, and then at the end of the lesson... eat it all :))
so of course it's a big happening I'll cook everything myself from real ingredients, but I think we might as well visit a restaurant once, there is much more space to chat and stuff :)

JTK

Very nice! I'd like to taste it all... But now Zak, you know what all of us want: Please send a picture of yourself dressed in that new cook suit!!!

8)

zaqrack

ok but you must wait until I get my cook knife on monday :))