News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts Fun Pics

Started by CTG, March 22, 2004, 03:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Oh, man!  It's true!  But it was just a few weeks ago.... :o
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

GTAManRCR

If Stunts was made by Bethesda instead of DSI
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Cas

Man, long live offline games!  The internet has great things and has made our community possible, but it has also ruined a lot of what computers used to be.

GTAManRCR

Quote from: Cas on September 24, 2019, 03:03:50 AM
Man, long live offline games!  The internet has great things and has made our community possible, but it has also ruined a lot of what computers used to be.
You're right. DRM-free (Offline) games are better

Overdrijf

Quote from: GTAMan15 on September 24, 2019, 06:43:02 AMDRM-free games are better

*Opens Stunts using a second executable proudly announcing who hacked the game to avoid having to enter a word from the manual*

afullo

Quote from: Cas on September 24, 2019, 03:03:50 AM
In my opinion the problem arose when companies started to centralize online services in their hands.

In another topic we were talking about Doom. Well, the first two games of the saga possess probably the largest modding community of the whole gaming world, and they are still actively modded, see the annual Cacowards as awards for the best WADs of the year. Doom III is not so modded as Doom and Doom II are, but it has still a large base, with projects started years ago now in completion, such as Phobos starting not less than 10 years ago and available in its first episode since the end of 2018, while the second episode is still work in progress.

The Doom released in 2016 has basically no mods: support was very limited, if not absent, the software house allowed users to create their maps but with strong limitations justified only by the will to not create competition with the official contents, and so on. This, commercially speaking, has sense: with microtransactions, why do I have to allow you to create media, while I can sell you them for only 1 €, 2 €, 3 €... and you don't even realize how much is their cost, because you are using a prepaid card? But, in terms of game experience, it removes an important component.

Even multiplayer became less user-driven: with old games you were usually able to create a server, or join one, which was not under the direct control of any company. Now, several games allows the player only to connect to an official server, removing the chance of personalizing the gameplay.

dreadnaut

Quote from: afullo on September 24, 2019, 02:13:19 PM
Even multiplayer became less user-driven: with old games you were usually able to create a server, or join one, which was not under the direct control of any company. Now, several games allows the player only to connect to an official server, removing the chance of personalizing the gameplay.

And then the official and single server is turned off, and goodbye game.

For an interesting take on the issue: https://locusmag.com/2019/09/cory-doctorow-drm-broke-its-promise/

afullo

Indeed, often when they want you to buy their new game. I just read rapidly the article, I will deepen it later, but I agree with the idea that you don't buy a game anymore, but only the right to play it under the conditions of the rightholders, and the same is true also for music and other media.

Cas

I agree... absolutely!  The problem is not the internet itself, but how a few companies have hoarded it and control it even though it's supposed to be decentralised and free. Paying for a game was OK, but paying for limited rights on the copy bought, not so much. Now, having to play to be able to use it is really awful... It's like playing for cable TV compared to paying for a TV in the 80s: you no longer pay once and have the whole thing. You've bought it, but still have to pay regularly and are tied to what they choose to do with it.

Also, official game servers depend on the popularity of the game at the time. If you can open your own server, even if it's just LAN, you can always do multiplayer. You just have to gather a few friends who want to play. That's the healthiest way of doing the thing. Open adaptations of classic games often allow this and that's great. Besides Doom, you can count Descent I and II. I don't remember the name of the free port. Of course, it requires the original data files, but you can freely play the game. Duke3D also has eDuke.

afullo

Quote from: Cas on September 25, 2019, 10:29:22 PM
Also, official game servers depend on the popularity of the game at the time.
Sometimes they deactivate servers just in order to "convince" gamers to buy the next installment of the game studio.  :-\

Daniel3D

I've a stunts copy where I i can mess with files en settings.
I made a slight alteration in the main menu background (so i can see if i started the right one)
but i kinda like it. so i thought i share it with you.

Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

GTAManRCR

Daniel3D

Had some fun today with opponent files.
QuoteI fired Skid and hired someone new.
Also I tossed away my clipboard and picked up an Ipad.
after a bit of repositioning of the clip (can't delete it, that will break the game, but hiding works)
and lowering the opponent pictures to 13 pix

not really lore friendly. but fun in my testing copy of the game.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Ha, ha!  Oh, in the end, I had said I'd take a look at opponent files and I haven't. I've been concentrating on R4K and its code. Even the 3D engine is kind of stopped (although that one is near completion).

GTAManRCR

Quote from: dreadnaut on September 24, 2019, 10:40:26 PM
Quote from: afullo on September 24, 2019, 02:13:19 PM

And then the official and single server is turned off, and goodbye game.

For an interesting take on the issue: https://locusmag.com/2019/09/cory-doctorow-drm-broke-its-promise/

Need for Speed: World is such a game like this, except you install the offline mod for it