News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

stunts.mine.nu

Started by zaqrack, April 06, 2004, 01:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

As you maybe noticed from the lots of downtime, I was working hard with a friend of mine to install the new server and especially the software on it.
In the past 3 days we managed to achieve a  stable level, so I could migrate to site to the new server.
Some technical and update info for you:

Hardware+SW
Gigabyte GA586DX dual Pentium mainboard ATX form
2 times Intel Pentium 166Mhz processors
2x64+2x8MB Kingston EDO ram
1.6GB + 1GB hard disks (about 1.5GB for the site)
unfortunately bandwith stayed: 12k/sec :( maybe it'll be 18k/sec soon but I cant get more than that. :(
-server supplied by eBalazs :)
SW: UHU-Linux (based on Debian) Server edition 1.0RC3 with SMP multiprocessor kernel
--installation and configuration support by mrmaim :)
Errors corrected, new things:

-finally you dont need a / at the end of URL's to make them work
-mail system is fully configured, no tons of error messages
-server load is about 1/3 of the one before -->still slow copnnection but very stable
-eggdrop installed, please welcome our new bot: Skid. I'll kick out Helen after one week testing of Skid (he logs and he sits there, and doesnt whine at all, so its fine :)
-mailman mailing list server configured (only 1 bug left :() this means when I find that bug I can host a mailing list for every team, and so there'll be an option that if you send your replay, it'll be posted to your team mailinglist too.
-you can ask for ssh/ftp access for the server, I can grant about 50MB of webspace for every of you. soon you can get a stunts.mine.nu mail address too :)

about thats it. I think this new server will supply a stable base for iproving the site in the following months, years :)
you might experience more downtimes as usual, because I'm not sure some configs are written well. If you experience any problems please tell me.

Zak

JTK

Whow Zak! :shock:

Sounds like you've been busy as can be keeping the Stunts communitzy alive once more.  8)

zaqrack

Well my internet provider allows me from yesterday to upgrade connection speed with no additional price to be paid for the upgrade, just the new monthly price, and of course a long-term (3 years) contract.

Since I'm really satisfied with them (1 day downtime in 2 years...) the contract is no problem, and the monthly price is only 3EUR more than the current one, I'll try to convince my mother to upgrade our connection.

this means:

download: 384kbps -> 512 kbps (wont affect you :))
upload: 64kbps -> 128 kpbs

this means if I succeed the server's speed will be almost doubled (it's a bit higher now than 64kbps, but it means it can also be a bit higher than 128 :))
Wish me luck to convince my mother :D

Zak

Mingva

Good luck, Zak  :wink:

al il professore

wow!! do that!!! its amazing to double the server upload bandwith!! tell your mother it will double your personal charism and help you be successful in life!!
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

zaqrack

connection upgraded.

new download speed:  62-64k/sec
new upload speed 18-20k/sec

enjoy ;)

Mingva

Quote from: "zaqrack"connection upgraded.

new download speed:  62-64k/sec
new upload speed 18-20k/sec
Zak, I think you was fooled by your provider :!: They gave you 100 times worse speed :P  :evil: I'd suggest to bomb them out  :twisted:

zaqrack

no, no, the problem is that lately my and my brothers computer is continously downloading from emule, and altough I have restrcited the upload bandwidth for the programs its still 8-8k/sec, so it takes 16k/sec.
sorry, soon the musics I want will be downloaded ;)

Zak

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: "zaqrack"no, no, the problem is that lately my and my brothers computer is continously downloading from emule, and altough I have restrcited the upload bandwidth for the programs its still 8-8k/sec, so it takes 16k/sec.

Zak

No comment... :cry:
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "zaqrack"no, no, the problem is that lately my and my brothers computer is continously downloading from emule, and altough I have restrcited the upload bandwidth for the programs its still 8-8k/sec, so it takes 16k/sec.

Zak

As long as the site is hosted at your home computer, this site speed problem will stay... :roll:
But web hosts would mean a cost for Zak, or some ads, no ?

Isn't there a web space allowed by your web provider for homepage for free (I mean, no more than your current web access cost) ? For example, my provider is free.fr, and they give me 100 Mo of drive space.

:idea: Maybe abandonware games download could be on your home PC (because of the file sizes), but ZakStunts, Stunts portal and forum on a web host ?This way, site wouldn't be down if your computer is down and speed would remain unchanged. :idea:

BonzaiJoe

Don't worry, you heard him say the speed will go up again in a few days. I like it very much better like this than with a lot of ads. And in the past when this site has been webhosted, I think the downtime has been even higher.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

the problem is with free hosts that if they allow PHP, the very rarely give MySQL access for the site what is essential.

Another solution is a friend's server: http://digitaldynamite.demoscene.hu
I have a subdir here. check the speed please from other countries, I dont think its enough...

Mingva

Thanx for complaining situation, Zak  :wink: Would be nice if you'd post a message in news about ur busy connection  :idea: btw, I think you should move stunts.mine.nu index page (portal) to another free server. Then at least potential surfers will visit other Stunts related sites.

P.S. Your friend's site even slower than yours  :lol:

zaqrack

http://zaqrack.fw.hu

People outside Hungary: speed test please.
I created this account some months before, I have php,sql,everything I need + a stupid ad-banner :-S
if the connection speed is OK we can move here, or even better - have a mirror.

I know the databases are not working yet, just test the site speed and report here. Thanks.

alanrotoi

The speed is fast for me! It would be better if you don't change the main address (because every 1 year - six months the address changes cjb, bsd, mine, etc) so a mirror would be ok! BTW I don't know if it will be a lot of work for you.