News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Dissecting the Stunts files, trying to. Anyone know more?

Started by Cyberman, July 23, 2004, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstien

Added the ability to manually edit primitives. Right-click on the primitives table to add/remove rows. This makes it possible to create simple debug shapes by hand.

Next up is import/export...

CTG

In spite of the fact it is a Boxcar, the acceleration is damned good! ;D

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on May 09, 2008, 05:52:41 AM
In spite of the fact it is a Boxcar, the acceleration is damned good! ;D

That reminded me of "Lego Räcers"... ;D

cody

i cant wait for .obj inport/export support since well, ive started on a few. i'll be able to do more work for stunts once i finalize a carpack i made for another game called flatout 2

Krys TOFF

Quote from: cody on May 10, 2008, 06:32:38 AM
i cant wait for .obj inport/export support since well, ive started on a few. i'll be able to do more work for stunts once i finalize a carpack i made for another game called flatout 2
Cool. ;)
Also, I like Flatout mini-games. ;D

dstien

I gave the OBJ format a shot, and I think it suit our needs just right. Materials are stored in an external file with fixed names in the range of Stunts000 - Stunts255. Just import these materials into your modeller. When exporting a shape from stressed the currently selected paint-job will be used. Sources are available as usual. It has only been tested against Blender's OBJ loader/writer...

Here are some screenshots from a fully drivable "truk" shape, slightly modified. The 3SH file with two paint-jobs is attached to this post.

Krys TOFF

Once again, a very good job from you Dstien. Well done and thanks for what you do. I'll test the truck shape. But what about parameters of the truck ? It seems you used the truck shape on the indy according to the power curve of this picture :

Same for the boxcar :

I like the big rear wheels of the boxcar anyway. ;)

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on May 13, 2008, 10:33:50 AM
But what about parameters of the truck ?

On what are you thinking Krys, a LM002 with quadruple weight, doubled torque curve and super tall gear ratios? :D

Fantastic work Dstien, I'll give it a try later on... the only doubt I want to check is whether Blender still decomposes n-gons into triangles for n>4.

Mark L. Rivers

Really a good job, indeed!  :)

And now, kidding: does Truck pass under the bridge...?  :D

dstien

I tend to use the Indy setup when testing. I'll leave the tuning job to someone more competent in that field. ;)

Quote from: Duplode on May 13, 2008, 03:20:07 PM
the only doubt I want to check is whether Blender still decomposes n-gons into triangles for n>4.
Blender has an internal primitive, "fgon", for storing composite faces. I don't know if it's accessible through the Python API, the OBJ importer will create them, but the exporter can't read them... I'll have to investigate it further.

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on May 13, 2008, 05:46:14 PM
does Truck pass under the bridge...?  :D
Yes, and it can jump half-way through the ceiling in tunnels. It's an interesting question because we don't know how custom vehicle collision is handled, or if it's even possible to modify.

Duplode

If you disregard the fact I do not really know how to use Blender, the .OBJ exporting seems to be working fine. And just now I realized the inclusion of the material exporting/importing on the .OBJs covers my suggestion of individual paint job manipulation... 8) Anyway, I forgot to mention a possible bug I'm having with stressed since I updated to the May 08 revision. On startup, stressed prints on the console the following for the whole 256-colour palette:

QColor::setNamedColor: Unknown color name '000000'
QColor::setNamedColor: Unknown color name '0000A8'
QColor::setNamedColor: Unknown color name '00A800'
// ...

And then, as a natural consequence, polygons, bitmaps and colour labels are not painted properly on stressed, but are just displayed all in black. I wonder if it could not a bug, but my system/Qt's fault... in that case, is there anything I should look for?

dstien

Quote from: Duplode on May 14, 2008, 06:08:29 AM
And then, as a natural consequence, polygons, bitmaps and colour labels are not painted properly on stressed, but are just displayed all in black. I wonder if it could not a bug, but my system/Qt's fault... in that case, is there anything I should look for?
Materials are stored in a config file, and since the program is in active development the default settings are changed frequently. When upgrading you should delete the old one (~/.config/stuntstools/stressed.conf) to force re-generation.

Paleke

Quote from: dstien on May 13, 2008, 07:06:27 PM
I tend to use the Indy setup when testing. I'll leave the tuning job to someone more competent in that field. ;)

I think that would be me, but there are two problems (maybe three, I haven't tested the truck yet):

1- I'm not sure how to edit the dashboard to make it look like a truck.

2- I was never good at editing cars with CarBlaster (and a truck usually has more than 5 gears, so probably will be easier to use the same gear relations as LM002 with different weight, as Duplode said)

3- How about the cockpit height? I mean, when you are using the F1 view (from inside), does it look that you are at least as high as in the LM002? (again, I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know)
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.

Duplode

Quote from: Paleke on May 15, 2008, 12:47:19 AM
1- I'm not sure how to edit the dashboard to make it look like a truck.

2- I was never good at editing cars with CarBlaster (and a truck usually has more than 5 gears, so probably will be easier to use the same gear relations as LM002 with different weight, as Duplode said)

3- How about the cockpit height? I mean, when you are using the F1 view (from inside), does it look that you are at least as high as in the LM002? (again, I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know)

1. That would require exporting the STDA*.PVS/STDB*.PVS bitmaps, editing them in your favourite editor (of course using only the default palette available to Stunts) and importing them back into the .PVS files. With stressed, importing and exporting of bitmaps is trivial, so artistic skills are the only limiting factor... ;)

2. Maximum number of gears for a car is six, if 5 vs. 6 really would make a difference. Anyway, I have no clue about how should a Stunts truck drive... :D but I could assist with the technicalities if needed (BTW, in case you're wondering about parameters, be sure to check the Wiki)

3.That's pretty simple, just question of modifying a parameter in CarBlaster (CAR*.RES).  :)

Quote from: dstien on May 14, 2008, 11:24:13 AM
Materials are stored in a config file, and since the program is in active development the default settings are changed frequently. When upgrading you should delete the old one (~/.config/stuntstools/stressed.conf) to force re-generation.

Well, I tested it quickly and it doesn't seem to be the .conf... I still have to try erasing everything on the stressed folder, though.