News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Dissecting the Stunts files, trying to. Anyone know more?

Started by Cyberman, July 23, 2004, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleke

That's actually what I'll try to do with the truck's dashboard. The only thing that bodders me in this moment is: what brand do you think the truck is? "Man", perhaps?
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.

Krys TOFF

CTG

Quote from: CTG on May 18, 2008, 10:23:21 PM
My dream: using Big Foot/Monster Truck cars in Stunts. ;D

Like this MonsterTrabant ;D

BonzaiJoe

But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on May 23, 2008, 02:03:47 AM
Is it possible to make an invisible car?

Oh I see the future: invisible car on Krys Toff's tricky track with hidden corners - mission impossible. ;D

Krys TOFF

Quote from: CTG on May 23, 2008, 07:54:53 AM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on May 23, 2008, 02:03:47 AM
Is it possible to make an invisible car?

Oh I see the future: invisible car on Krys Toff's tricky track with hidden corners - mission impossible. ;D
And impossible to verify if you respect OWOOTT rules ! :D :D :D

Anyway, as indicated by dstien in the wiki, there is a transparency color in Stunts VGA palette. So it should be possible to have invisible car. ;)

CTG

Paleke

Quote from: Krys TOFF on May 22, 2008, 05:47:06 PM
Scania maybe ?

That's a good one, but how about this Man?

EDIT: Nah, I think Scania is the best choice... Now, here it is another idea:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/The_Homer_by_Carlos_Bisquertt.jpg

:D :D :D :D
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.

Krys TOFF

Well, a truck is a truck. Do as you like for the dashboard. ;)

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on May 23, 2008, 12:40:31 PM
What about making cabrios? ;)
It should be possible making the roof invisible, right?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

BonzaiJoe

But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

I don't really think there will be cabin graphics as programmers didn't thik they were needed...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Krys TOFF

Is it possible now to create new scenery elements ?
Will we be forced to replace elements (Joe's bar, windmill, ...) by the new ones or can we add them to existing ones ?
In case we can add them, is there a limit of scenery elements we can add ?
And finally, how to place them in the tracks without hex-editing the track file ? In case we have to replace original elements then it could be possible to add them throught in-game editor or Track Blaster Pro, but if they are added to original ones I think that hex-editing the track file is the only way to put them on the track. But maybe I'm wrong...

I'd like to have the Triumph arc and the Eiffel tower to create Bernie Ecclestone's dream of a F1 race in Paris for the finale of FTT 1st season in december. ;D

Triumph arc :

Eiffel tower :

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on May 27, 2008, 11:48:29 AM
Is it possible now to create new scenery elements ?
Will we be forced to replace elements (Joe's bar, windmill, ...) by the new ones or can we add them to existing ones ?
In case we can add them, is there a limit of scenery elements we can add ?
And finally, how to place them in the tracks without hex-editing the track file ? In case we have to replace original elements then it could be possible to add them throught in-game editor or Track Blaster Pro, but if they are added to original ones I think that hex-editing the track file is the only way to put them on the track. But maybe I'm wrong...

Summing up the answers according to current knowledge:

1. We can create new graphics for scenery elements, but we can't change the collision models. So, if you replace Joe's graphics by a (mini) Triumph arc you won't be ever able to drive under it...

2. Adding new elements is not viable at the moment because we don't really understand what are the inner mechanisms that Stunts uses to identify a byte value in the .TRK and use the info to load the correct shape and physics for the element, and as a consequence we have no idea where we should put data for new elements. The closest thing that seems to be possible (haven't fully tested it, though) would be making new combos with the current elements by messing up with TEDIT.RES (among other stuff, that file defines which elements are available in which F1..F10 panel of the editor), but I doubt that would be of much use anyway.

3. Therefore, at the current state-of-the-art we are limited to replacing graphics for current elements without changing the underlying collision model. Creation of new track elements is pretty limited for purposes other than making alternative visual environments by playing with texture sets. Of course, the same is valid for cars, but since all cars seem to have nearly the same physical shapes/collision model the issue is not that critical. That probably explains why sometimes, when trying RH-heavy tricks (narrowly jumping over bridge walls, for instance) the car seems to crash into the air: the collision and graphical models do not match exactly...

4. Now, let's suppose that one day we actually get to introduce new track elements without replacing existing ones. When that day comes, we will know enough about the track-construction code for assigning unused byte codes in the .TRK and TEDIT.RES files for the new elements, thus allowing for normal manipulation of them within the editor. That will be another nice day for the Wiki chronology... :)

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode1. We can create new graphics for scenery elements, but we can't change the collision models. So, if you replace Joe's graphics by a (mini) Triumph arc you won't be ever able to drive under it...
This is not my goal, in real life you can't drive under it too. This is possible only with Midtown Madness 3. :D
I just want to give pipsqueaks the impression to race in Paris.

Quote from: Duplode2. Adding new elements is not viable at the moment because we don't really understand what are the inner mechanisms that Stunts uses to identify a byte value in the .TRK and use the info to load the correct shape and physics for the element, and as a consequence we have no idea where we should put data for new elements. The closest thing that seems to be possible (haven't fully tested it, though) would be making new combos with the current elements by messing up with TEDIT.RES (among other stuff, that file defines which elements are available in which F1..F10 panel of the editor), but I doubt that would be of much use anyway.
Maybe a key to it is the way Mark Nailwood managed to add a car in scenery possibilities (see F10 part of TrackBlaster compared to in-game editor).

Quote from: Duplode3. Therefore, at the current state-of-the-art we are limited to replacing graphics for current elements without changing the underlying collision model.
I we make an eiffel tower the size of a windmill and a triumph arc the size of a building, collision is not an issue. These are just scenery elements, not stunts elements to be driven through.

Quote from: Duplode4. Now, let's suppose that one day we actually get to introduce new track elements without replacing existing ones. When that day comes, we will know enough about the track-construction code for assigning unused byte codes in the .TRK and TEDIT.RES files for the new elements, thus allowing for normal manipulation of them within the editor. That will be another nice day for the Wiki chronology... :)
One day, we will have different custom mods for Stunts. I'd like to have a desert Stunts (simply grass color replaced by sand color), perfect for Paris-Stunts-Dakar. :D