News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Dissecting the Stunts files, trying to. Anyone know more?

Started by Cyberman, July 23, 2004, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Last time I checked his sources there were a few updates from late June, so I guess it's still alive. Maybe if we did some more editing there would be positive feedback for developement, though. (if only I was in a more artistical mood lately... :-\ that reminds me I have to finish my R32 Skyline project someday!)

dstien

It's certainly not dead, just resting. :) I got distracted with some other projects lately. I tried compiling Stressed for Win32 when I saw Krys' post today, but it wouldn't link dynamically and static linkage resulted in a 11 megabytes executable. :-\

Krys TOFF

Quote from: dstienI tried compiling Stressed for Win32 when I saw Krys' post today, but it wouldn't link dynamically and static linkage resulted in a 11 megabytes executable. :-\
Well I don't understand the dynamic or static linkage thing, but 11Mb is not a problem for me to download if it was your issue.
I'd like to work on the design of my F1 2002 car project using your wonderful program. ;)

zaqrack

just found some short tips on how to disassemble dos game, some may be interested:

http://rewiki.regengedanken.de/wiki/Reverse_engineering_hints

and the whole site is about the reverse engineering of old dos games.

dstien

Finally got around compiling Stressed for Win32. Since Windows don't offer system-wide management of third party packages I've tried to include all dependencies (hence the file size). Tell me if I missed anything and if the program actually works at all. It should be able to open and edit resource files containing plain text, bitmap images and 3d shapes.

stressed-0.1.0-rc1-win32bin.zip

Quote from: Duplode on August 26, 2008, 12:52:18 AM
Maybe if we did some more editing there would be positive feedback for developement, though.
Further development can be done in exchange for cool Stunts creations or racing technique counseling.

Quote from: Chulk on May 06, 2008, 06:29:41 AM
Quote from: dstien on May 06, 2008, 12:25:59 AM
I'll try to whip up some Windows builds soon*.

*) Definition of "soon" is subject to change.
:D :D :D :D
Ok, it's settled, "soon" means "within 1/2 year". ;)

Quote from: zaqrack on September 24, 2008, 11:27:21 AM
just found some short tips on how to disassemble dos game, some may be interested:
The biggest problem with debugging Stunts is that the code is self-modifying, it can't just be loaded into a disassembler. LOAD.EXE patches together the executable code that needs to be loaded into memory based on graphics and sound setup. It would be interesting to know if the result from LOAD.EXE can be dumped to a DOS EXE image. Since the header files are included one might think so, and we've already reversed the worst parts of the loading process; data decompression.

When I reversed the run-length decompression located inside the variable-length compressed code files I used the DOSBox Debugger to locate the code and dump the memory. By importing the raw memory into a disassembler we can initiate code parsing since we know the locations containing interesting code. I'd like to avoid this messy workflow next time I explore Stunts code...

Mark L. Rivers

Fantastic job, one more time, dstien!  :)
I'm going to try soon your Win32 version, and for me "soon", in this case, means now!  ;)

Krys TOFF

Hell yeah ! Thanks dstien for all your work, keep it up ! :)

Mark L. Rivers

Stressed is wonderful! Again congratulations dstien!  :)
And here it is a light and fast restyling of Speedgate XSD.... Not a definitive restyling but an example about what stressed can easily permit...  ;)

Krys TOFF

I like the new rear wing. Official new release for Speedgate and GT3 expected then, just with new design. ;)

Duplode

Yay, now many more people with more artistical proneness (and less artistical laziness... :D) than me will be able to use dstien's wonderful toolbox. The rear wings look very nice indeed, Mark  ;) As for GT3, I promise I'll try to dress it in racing trim eventually, and modify the colour set too. BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, graphical updates of cars (replacing *.PVS/*.VSH and *.P3S/*.3SH) won't harm saved replays in any way, since the CAR*.RES need not, in principle, be changed, and thus the car will act the same regardless of what it looks like.

Mark L. Rivers

Thanks Krys and Duplode!  :)
But it's already time for a more defined tuning...  ;)

Highlights about Step 2:

- Cockpit has been enlarged e lowered;
- Fenders above forward wheels have been lowered;
- Frontal and rear have been "thinned", rear wings support included.

CTG

Can you tune the Indy to be a more or less realistic F1 car of the present?

Chulk

Just finished downloading Stressed (my first download with FF as well, I decided to swith because IE was messing around). I'll give it a try tonight, when I'll have more time.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Mark: you might wish to check whether that slightly modified dashboard I made a while ago works properly now; if you like the result, that is... :)