News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

New Design?

Started by zaqrack, November 10, 2004, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Do we want it or not? Lately I have SOME motivation to do a redesign. The menu sructure is near perfect now in my opinion, I'd put up some new graphs, and improve the news posting system a bit. but i'll have exams soon and have to make the 2005 engine anyway, so it's not sure this project will start in the near future, but strangely sometimes I feel I'd like to work with it a bit :)

Put your wishlist here...

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Hey, Zak, I think the design is great and there's no need for changing it. I was also satisfied with it 1-2 years ago.

If you have free time and motivation, please:

- do the missing analysises
- the missing chat stats
- create the podium again
- refresh the live race system because last time it didn't work
- after 5 months, please make an update at Transport Tycoon competition (am I right, Gutix?).

In my opinion. Waiting for the other people's opinion.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Because these things make me say there's a competition and a community, and not the hyper super ultra mega improved design, which was fair enough 2 years ago, too. Think about it.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Mingva

The things Akoss mentioned here are not related with site design at all, so Zak won't do it :mrgreen: Akoss also could ask what is "coming soon..." on this page :lol:

ok, now let's be more serious. Would be nice to have site themes. At least colors. Maybe someone is nostalgic to previous brown or bluish colors  :wink:

Mingva

The things Akoss mentioned here are not related with site design at all, so Zak won't do it :mrgreen: Akoss also could ask what is "coming soon..." on this page :lol:

ok, now let's be more serious. Would be nice to have site themes. At least colors. Maybe someone is nostalgic to previous brown or bluish colors  :wink:

zaqrack

Quote from: "Akoss Poo"Hey, Zak, I think the design is great and there's no need for changing it. I was also satisfied with it 1-2 years ago.

If you have free time and motivation, please:

- do the missing analysises
- the missing chat stats
- create the podium again
- refresh the live race system because last time it didn't work
- after 5 months, please make an update at Transport Tycoon competition (am I right, Gutix?).

In my opinion. Waiting for the other people's opinion.

analysis: I'd like to have some help there, its clearly only time...
chat stats: I guess only 2 are missing, I'll do them, its no time.
podium: again: its too much work, and I havent got used to Gimp yet (remmeber I use no windows, and that means no Paint Shop Pro)
tycoon: shame, but I lost the savegames somehow. When last time you asked in the news I wanted to update but couldnt find them anywhere. Please send them again!
l

the main reason for the site redeign is not that I dont like the way it looks. It's just that I'm fixing the same old code with small patches sice 2 years, and it looks like a big garbage bin... it'd be nice to make the whole site 100% HTML 4.0 and CSS compatible  - which means rewriting the code again, and so maintain expnasibility and flexiblity. Then also users could send some colour themes, and so everyone could see ZS as he wants to.

The problems with the lacking content - I agree with you (see? :)), but those things need continous free time and efforts. And thats something I dont have right now. Thats why a code rewrite would be nice, with some ppl doing analysises, podium, etc - and they could also upload to the site with a form. Of course only if some of you would like to cooperate in maintaining the site.

BonzaiJoe

I love the design as it is now, so if you are going to rewrite the code, please don't change it too much... There's no need to change a wonderful design.
If you send me all the replays and fit all the numbers onto the site and do the pictures, I'll do all the analysis. About the podium, it's okay if you don't want to do it, but if you take it up again at some point, use pictures of the pipsqueaks too :D

I agree with Akoss Poo that you should rather spent the little free time you have on other things than improving the design, which is already great.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

I have template Excel files for the analysis, all you have to do is selecting the checkpoints, and writing the times on the first page on that excel chart+ the pciture of the track w checkpoints Then all that has to be done is sending it back to me, and from on all I have to do is convert the xls to cvs and import to the database using phpmyadmin.

the problem might be that some replays are missing...

zaqrack

about the podium: the last podium was too complicated. Always redoing the picture from scratch.
I liked it, and probably there'll be a new one - which only needs the names, teams, pictures linked as name, and putting the appropiate pics on a background, which contains the podium itself.
if we'd like to have pictures then it means we need to have pictures from everyone, and in the same aspect ratio.

zaqrack

oh damn, instead of speaking i'll go and explore the HTML editor of linux and try some changes :)

BonzaiJoe

Just try to send me as many of the replays you can, and the template Excel file. Then I'll do my best! I have my own replays, of course, so don't bother if some of those are missing.

zaqrack

Jacky: Ok I'll sned the replays and XLS :)

Everyone:

I have rewritten the index page. Now its static, but it not a hard job to implement these nice functions on the right side.

http://stunts.mine.nu/zakstunts/2005

changes:

-using 1024x768 now as default
-optimised for mozilla firefox browser, forget IE.
-clean, nice HTML code which is easy to work with ;)
-HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS compatible - some bugs, correcting them

you can always check the latest progress of the 2005 site (ZS6.0 on this page mentioned above) No redesign now, but implementing some nice new features.

Like scoreboard will show your difference in time compared to your previous time sent.
And other ideas you might suggest here ;)
[/url]

Mingva

Quote-using 1024x768 now as default
pfff  :?  No more races, no more visits  :(  :cry:

BonzaiJoe

Check the link first... I use 800*600 too and of course the site looks a bit better for me now, but the difference is very small.

Usrin

I just had a look at the new version. Fortunately, the design wasn't changed, so it looks good. But... was there any complaints about present system of news? Will we be able to see news in the center frame, with a bigger character size, or only on the right side, with these small characters, and with place for only 3-4 news? And why won't be able to post longer news??? I'm always happy when I see many news, many LONG news on the page. It means there is life on the page... why don't you want to see that?

Other things: why do you want to use 1024x768 as default? Pages made for 800x600 look good also on a screen with higher resolution. But you can't tell this about a page made for 1024x768 when you watch it with lower resolution... Yes, at home I use 800x600. Am I alone? (OK, I'll have to see the test page from home...)

I think most users use IE, not Mozilla. Probably that's not good, but that's a fact. There is no problem with the "old" homepage when I open it in Mozilla. So why do you have to change anything?

I agree it would be better to see working stats, podium, etc... instead of new design. I think I could make one image for the podium, if that's the problem. I liked podium very much, and always watched (and listened) it.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.