News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

New Design?

Started by zaqrack, November 10, 2004, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usrin

Correction: "I could make one image for the podium EVERY MONTH, if that's the problem." (The other problem: I can't edit my own post, that's why I have to send a new one.)
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Mingva

Of course I checked the link Bonz'nJail  :!: :evil: :x I use 800x600 only, and I hate very much sites with higher resolution except those who have only adverts in right. Even at school I'm telling pupil to keep 800x600 and turn to higher in case program window cann't fit in screen.
1024x768 is only for 17" (and more) monitors. I must agree with Usrin about:
QuotePages made for 800x600 look good also on a screen with higher resolution. But you can't tell this about a page made for 1024x768 when you watch it with lower resolution...
IE also is a major browser for now, so you, Zak, firstly should to do site IE compatible :)

zaqrack

Browsers:

Everyone can install Firefox, Not everyone can install IE. That quite settles the things. Also it's some ideological thing, I hate IE, and I hate Microsoft. IE is the biggest shit they ever produced with 1000s of security holes. Anyway site will look the same in IE probably too, so its not a big thing, but its optimized for firefox - firefox users will see 100% what I wanted to show them.
But if you dont like o receive adware and spying progs, popups use firefox. I want to support it wherever I can, and this is the best solution. (anway 25% of the visitors elready use it)

1024x768:

60% or more of the visitors have this resolution since ages. BUT I remember how annoying is to see a page in 800x600 which was designed for bigger resolutions. See that textbox on the bottom of the left? Well thats a PHP Session login. Worked on it for 3 hours today, and it just works fine. What fdoes this mean?
That small user menu which comes up after logging in: currently: logout, post news, send replay
will have the following functions:

-delete user (I also think on quitters ;)
-change resolution to 800x600 - news will then go to the middle, but you can only see it then  when at the startpage.
-maybe color/CSS templates if there's a need for it.
-detailed personal stats and archive.

News:

I guess seeing them on the right side all the time will make people use them more. Its now a bit like a chatbox. Currently the boxes are suited for 180char messages - i guess there are rarely longer ones. And of course you can type longer ones, they'll show up.
I can change the number of the shown news to 6 maybe - it'll fit in the place.
But there will be nice small buttons on the bottom to see next/prev news.
I guess these all bring more functionality and usability to the newsposting.
And yes I like to see the long, many  news - except b?ff.

Podium:

It'll be dynamically linked, if possible, I'll check that out later, these days I'm converting the 2004 pages to the new 2005 page. If it's not possible to link it dynamically, I'll happily accept your offer ;)

zaqrack

oh and thanks for the suggestions, keep up posting, we still have 6 weeks until the new site is launched :)

zaqrack

I forgot to mention that users will be able to edit their profile, and upload pictures.

alanrotoi

Krys TOFF

Well, current design suits me fine, but color change would be good.
About resolution, well, I am actually 1152x864 and site made for 800x600 are quite small to read them. :lol:
But I remember my old computer when I was 800x600 and hated websites where I couldn't see everything, so it's not a problem if it stays 800x600. :wink:

What I would like is about news posting : some of my news never appeared just because of some caracters like ' are not accepted :x
And, as I don't verify each time if news were posted good, i felt often disappointed about that.
For example, I made a post about the 15th birthday of the Fall of Berlin Wall and I just see right now that it didn't appeared. :x  :(

BonzaiJoe

It gives you an error message when it won't post it. Then you can go back, and the news you wrote will still be there, so you can remove the 's. But I agree if it could be changed, it should.
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "BonzaiJoe"It gives you an error message when it won't post it.
Not always it seems... :?

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I use 1024x768 at home, Windows xp; 800x600 and Windows 98 in Debrecen.

Yes, until someone uses 800x600 (and there are some regular pipsqueaks who still use it), we should have this resolution. It is more annoying not to see the whole site than to see the page in a lower resolution than it could be.

I remember when my father used 640x480 at his workplace and the site was 800x600 it was really really annoying.

I think nobody will install Firefox just to see your site correctly, maybe for nobody ZakStunts is the only site which he visits. It was a very ridiculous excuse!!!

I think most of the drivers use IE (sometimes I use Opera), and they will use IE, and there's no reason to change the system Firefox and Mozilla compatible. It will be only you who will like it better.

I think it is a really stupid thing to lower the design level for the most of the drivers (including the post thing) just because you hate Microsoft and don't use Windows and IE.

Sorry that this should have been my 1000th post.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

zaqrack

Quote from: "Akoss Poo"I use 1024x768 at home, Windows xp; 800x600 and Windows 98 in Debrecen.

Yes, until someone uses 800x600 (and there are some regular pipsqueaks who still use it), we should have this resolution. It is more annoying not to see the whole site than to see the page in a lower resolution than it could be.

I remember when my father used 640x480 at his workplace and the site was 800x600 it was really really annoying.

I just finished the user setting system, which allows the users to change the color scheme (not implemented yet) and switch the site resolution between 1024x768 and 800x600 - as promised. Users who can use 1024 should use that one because its much more fucntional, who cant see, just switch to 800x600, and access the menu on the welcome page and from the menu -if they want to check the news later - just as it is now.
Problem solved.

I think nobody will install Firefox just to see your site correctly, maybe for nobody ZakStunts is the only site which he visits. It was a very ridiculous excuse!!!

I think most of the drivers use IE (sometimes I use Opera), and they will use IE, and there's no reason to change the system Firefox and Mozilla compatible. It will be only you who will like it better.

I think it is a really stupid thing to lower the design level for the most of the drivers (including the post thing) just because you hate Microsoft and don't use Windows and IE.

1. who spoke about loweing the design level? I only said it"s OPTIMIZED for firefox. That means it'll look like my imagination in Firefox. IE and Opera users will maybe see some design glitches -like one table is 2-3mm away from the place I wanted it to be.
Thats no decrease in functionality I guess. This whole thing has much smaller value than you all think. It's not liek it wont work perfectly in IE. Of course it will, I'm designing webpages since 6 years I know how to do it to be compatible with most of the browsers, dont worry.

2.  I dont need an excuse to choose firefox, it was a reason, not excuse. I'm for free and open-source software, as for cancelling all the copyrights for music,videos,software, etc. I dont force anyone to choose firefox - but if anyone changes to it because ZS is optimized for firefox (definitely not that is the most important reason to change, but protecting your computer from stupid ads, adwares, banners, popups, viruses, intruders) - then it was worth the efforts.
In 1998 70% of the net users used Netscape, and the remaining IE. If IE continues the way as it is now (with the current bugfixing speed from Microsoft its more than possible), this will come again, believe me. Major websites have already changed to firefox optimization anyway. It's just better. Opera is great too, but its not free without that stupid ad.
Spend once 10 mins and try firefox.

QuoteSorry that this should have been my 1000th post.

No problem, you'll probably never like anything I do.

back to work...

[/b]

Usrin

Zak, I was surprised when reading that 25% of your visitors use Mozilla - on my homepage, that's only 5%. The difference: 99% of my visitors are from Hungary. It seems that for some reason, Mozilla can't become a widespread browser here... I also like Mozilla, and I've never seen major differences between the looking of the same page in these two browsers. But you wrote "forget IE" - it was a bit strange and frightening, and it sounded like we won't be able to see the site perfectly in IE. (But 1.: there's democracy. 2.: people not always use there own computer, so they can't always choose the browser they use...) And it was strange to see you're against IE so seriously. I opened this forum many times in Konqueror, Mozilla or Opera, and I always got a stupid message "you should use IE". Due to God (or Zak? :) ), this message has disappeared, as I see.

A small idea: what about calculating time gaps between the leader and other pipsqueaks on the scoreboard? It has been done for ages on sites of other competitions, I don't understand why hasn't anybody missed it on ZakStunts. And I'm looking forward to see the podium refreshing every month (or to refresh the podium every month). :)
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

zaqrack

I dunno, I'm still hesitating if I should show timegaps (eveyone can calculate it easily), or time difference from previous replay sent from the pipsqueak. What do you think?

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "zaqrack"I dunno, I'm still hesitating if I should show timegaps (eveyone can calculate it easily), or time difference from previous replay sent from the pipsqueak. What do you think?
Don't choose, show them both. :wink:
Else, choose gap calculation between current 1st and best replay sent from the pipsqueak, like it is in USC.

JTK

Yes, Firefox, love it :!:. Now with the new design I can see the ZakStunts page even better? I think I have to go there again (in a few months?)... *sigh*

:?