News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Drive experience

Started by Mark L. Rivers, October 25, 2008, 02:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark L. Rivers

Wow, dazzling experience for me this morning!  :)
I took part at a periodic event called "48 ore Volkswagen" (English for "ore" = hours), planned this weekend on Monza circuit (10 km from my house... ;)). After the inscription and a short briefing about safe driving (30 minutes), all the participants at the session (50 every 30 minutes) have made an absurd and comic run to the cars, in order to preempt the most powered. I miss the Golf R32  >:(, but I jumped into a white new Volkswagen Scirocco (1.4 160 HP  :o) beside a true driver.  8) Seat very low, and... fasten your seabelt!
One lap for me (only one lap...  :'() and one lap for him. I never drive a car with a so high grip: while I was driving into the second chicane, "Variante della Roggia" (after a strong brake from about 200 kmh to 70 kmh), and above all in first Lesmo curve (pushing on the gas from its half), it was very exciting! But it has been nothing compared with the lap where the driver had his hands on the wheel and his feet on the pedals... While I approached the 1st Lesmo curve modering a bit my speed, after the short lunge subsequent at the "Variante della Roggia", pushing on the gas only when I inserted the car in the curve, the driver has not lift his foot from the gas, exiting from 1st Lesmo curve about at 150 Kmh, obvously with half car on the curb...  :o :o  But this was nothing respect the entrance in the "Variante" Ascari after the "Serraglio" straight, when I thought "No! The car cannot stay on the road at this speed!  :o". But the car has showed (thanks also to the great ability to the driver) a fantastic grip, and we have exiting from the triple curve of the chicane with a perfect path at a "supersonic" speed....  :o :o :o (sorry, I can't report the exactly speed, I have not way to see the tachymeter while my mouth was open and I was thinking "It's not possible!"....  :D).

I have to say that I have not regrets having missed a more power car. One lap is not enough to take confidence with a very high power car, and that one I used was really suitable to feel true emotions having good drive sensation without too much scare about a mistake approaching the curves, or during the lap as passenger... 
Anyway, now I have seen as the event works, I think that when there will be the next "48 ore" I'll be there again...  ;)

Chulk

Great! Too bad Monza is too far from La Plata...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Nice event, and at Monza of all places!

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 25, 2008, 02:46:47 PM
After the inscription and a short briefing about safe driving (30 minutes), all the participants at the session (50 every 30 minutes) have made an absurd and comic run to the cars, in order to preempt the most powered.

Sort of a taste of vintage Le Mans?  :D

but I jumped into a white new Volkswagen Scirocco (1.4 160 HP  :o))

Very respectable stats indeed! :o That sounds like a really cool car...

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on October 26, 2008, 11:54:03 PM
but I jumped into a white new Volkswagen Scirocco (1.4 160 HP  :o))
Very respectable stats indeed! :o That sounds like a really cool car...
That's true, but I would have preferred the Golf R32 as well...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)