News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

HOWTO: Stunts on WinXP, Win2000, Linux

Started by zaqrack, January 28, 2005, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

Mmh, Dosbox used to work just fine, and it still does, except it doesn't load stunts anymore. I already reinstalled both Dosbox and stunts. When I start the program it only shows a blue square with info and then dosbox asks for a new command, it doesn't start the game. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

zaqrack

Overdrijf

Quote from: zaqrack on February 17, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
did you mount the stunts directory?
Yes, I mounted it. I added a picture of what I got when I called the program. At this point it should start, but it doesn't...

I can still play under windows, but my windows doesn't have a build in video capture function.

Krys TOFF

Protection crack (the blue page) is loaded and then program stops, so I think one file is missing in your Stunts directory, or one game parameter is badly adjusted. Try to run setup.exe first and put it to PC speaker sound. Maybe the default is on Adlib sound card and program stops because there's no sound parameters defined.

Quote from: OverdrijfI can still play under windows, but my windows doesn't have a build in video capture function.
So it means you want to give a try to noRH racing at FTT competition. Good news. :)
You are already enlisted in the website because you raced SDR noRH race(s) before so I added you for stats purpose. Send me by PM the password you want and I'll add it to your profile so you'll be able to publish your time on FTT website. ;)

Overdrijf

Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 17, 2009, 04:24:42 PM
Protection crack (the blue page) is loaded and then program stops, so I think one file is missing in your Stunts directory, or one game parameter is badly adjusted. Try to run setup.exe first and put it to PC speaker sound. Maybe the default is on Adlib sound card and program stops because there's no sound parameters defined.
You're on to something. When closing setup in Dosbox it tells me that "setup.dat cannot be created". It might be a problem tha started out by moving from one harddisk to another one time to many, but I doubt it, since reinstalling didn't help either. O, and the file setup.dat does in fact exist, it's not missing. What's it supposed to read when you open it with notepad? Mine reads:

rem 4 1 -1 -1 -1 -1
load.exe /u MCGA  /spc
Stunts
disk 'B'
disk 'B'
tdy.cod

Quote from: OverdrijfI can still play under windows, but my windows doesn't have a build in video capture function.
So it means you want to give a try to noRH racing at FTT competition. Good news. :)
You are already enlisted in the website because you raced SDR noRH race(s) before so I added you for stats purpose. Send me by PM the password you want and I'll add it to your profile so you'll be able to publish your time on FTT website. ;)

That was one of the things I was thinking about, the other was messing arround with the video, trying to fit more than two cars on a track or something like that...

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on February 17, 2009, 05:03:05 PM
You're on to something. When closing setup in Dosbox it tells me that "setup.dat cannot be created". It might be a problem tha started out by moving from one harddisk to another one time to many, but I doubt it, since reinstalling didn't help either. O, and the file setup.dat does in fact exist, it's not missing. What's it supposed to read when you open it with notepad? Mine reads:

rem 4 1 -1 -1 -1 -1
load.exe /u MCGA  /spc
Stunts
disk 'B'
disk 'B'
tdy.cod

My SETUP.DAT says:

rem 4 4 -1 -1 -1 -1
load.exe /u MCGA  /ssb
Stunts
disk 'B'
disk 'B'
tdy.cod

(I'm under Linux, but to DOSBox/Stunts the files should look the same). The only notable difference (ignoring the /ssb and /spc sound settings) is "rem 4 4" instead of "rem 4 1"; I have no idea on what it does but you could try changing it. If that doesn't do it, I suggest you to delete SETUP.DAT and run the Setup again.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on February 17, 2009, 07:54:18 PM
Quote from: Overdrijf on February 17, 2009, 05:03:05 PM

rem 4 1 -1 -1 -1 -1
load.exe /u MCGA  /spc
Stunts
disk 'B'
disk 'B'
tdy.cod

My SETUP.DAT says:

rem 4 4 -1 -1 -1 -1
load.exe /u MCGA  /ssb
Stunts
disk 'B'
disk 'B'
tdy.cod

(I'm under Linux, but to DOSBox/Stunts the files should look the same). The only notable difference (ignoring the /ssb and /spc sound settings) is "rem 4 4" instead of "rem 4 1"; I have no idea on what it does but you could try changing it. If that doesn't do it, I suggest you to delete SETUP.DAT and run the Setup again.

Mmh, nope, doesn't work. Found out the folder had declared itself read only, so I changed that, didn't work either...

Krys TOFF

Weird thing...
My setup.dat says "rem 4 0 -1 -1 -1 -1"', following is same as you have Overdrijf.

zaqrack

I guess you should reinstall stunts. Take the package from my site, it worked at everyone by far.

Overdrijf

Quote from: zaqrack on February 18, 2009, 10:18:45 AM
I guess you should reinstall stunts. Take the package from my site, it worked at everyone by far.
I already got the package of your site and unpacked it, didn't work on dosbox I'm affraid. Nor does un- and reinstalling Dosbox. What the beep have I done to this computer?

Chulk

Remove Read-only, delete setup.dat and run setup again. Maybe it didn't work last time because it was read-only when you tried running setup...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Overdrijf

The folder still says it's read only, all folders do, apparently, but the files themself say they're not. Installing a newer version of DOSbox yielded no results, making dosbox an exeption for the virus shield and firewall didn't do anything either. I'm starting to dislike XP over this...

Anyway, thanks for all the tips guys, but I'm taking this straight to the top: the dosbox forum... *insert some kind of really evil smiley here*

Overdrijf

It works, for some reason. I have to mount the folder, then type in C: (or however I called the mount) enter, and then I can open the files, but not the normal way. Yeah sure...

chapel

when I try to run it in DOSBox, I get to the blue screen, then it says insert disk b
I tried it like 5 times
then I rebooted DOSBox and tried again, this time typing the entire 'stunts_k.exe' instead of just 'stunts_k' and it worked
strange

Duplode

That's quite weird. Personally, I don't remember having this particular issue, but it's a fact that these emulated systems can be quite unpredictable for sure...
And welcome chapel  :)

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview