News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Test Drive II & the duel

Started by alanrotoi, December 24, 2002, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

The best racing game after stunts (in my opinion) is Test Drive II. The music of this game is awesome and the driving its very comfortable. I always thought that Stunts is a kind of mix between Indianapolis 500 and Test Drive II. We know about TD2 because its almost the same team of designers, but the INDY500 have a lot of similar things, like the clouds, the replay management, the graphics when the cars exploid...
I only miss that in stunts there isn't the Ferrari F-40 (best car by far in the 70-80's).

My top 5 oldie racing are:
1. Stunts
2. Test Drive II
3. Grand Prix Cycles (next version of grand prix circuit)
4. Indianapolis 500
5. Iron Man (off road blabla)

al il professore

i love indy car racing and formula one grand prix grammond.

those times i play cycling manager and ride my bike. I cant do what armstrong can do, but its nothing about the bike's weight or brand.

i also recommend to babies the fantastic car and driver and the awesome need for speed. but nfs isnt an oldie yet.
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

alanrotoi

ooooooh!!!! How could I forget the Car & Drive??
You can drive against your self!! (and use the F-40 :))

Krys TOFF

Test drive series... Good memories.
The 1st I raced was Test Drive 1, on my Commodore 64 ! :D
Then came TD 2 (aka The Duel), but the 1st "revolution" was TD 1.

About Car and Driver : that's a great game too. I can still remember that on my 1st PC I was unable to put all details on because the game was much too slow then :!:  :lol:

Indy 500... How many hours I spent on this one ! Great game. Very fun to drive. Very fun to race at the wrong side and create awesome crashes when u are on a 10 laps race and undestructible !!!  :lol:
I remember that I managed once to create such a huge one, just on the start/finish line, that it was impossible to race on the road ! All cars were crashed. ALL :!: And I finished racing alone, going thought the pitstop at every remaining turns.
But I finally get bored of these crashes because there was only one single road to race... :(

zaqrack

I've played TD1 on the c64 too, it rules there.
I remember when I first acheieved to go on the last stage, (of course with the second most beautiful sportcar in the world, the Lotus Esprit), and I was going with keeping the speed rules to maker sure I'll finish :P

Zak

Ryoma

Do you think that's possible to add news cars? My idea is to add easily cars I made from stunts. The danger would be ega graphics.

Zapper

I think it could be, since in the original Test Drive I test some mods (long time ago using MsDos Edit tool in binary mode) in torque curve and needle position coordinates, and the car list was also a text file.

Ryoma

Ryoma

Can someone do the same job as Stunts ? I can make dashboard and res files but I'm unable to program a software.

Cas

In the last years, I've been learning a lot about 3D engines with my 3D projects. I can't tell you that I can fully reproduce a game like Stunts right now, but I'm much closer to it now than I was before. I know that I can do it, but it's still hard for me. At least, I have conquered the land of plain 3D polygons.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Ryoma

Daniel3D

It is interesting. But not a easy task.
The game is different and would need a lot of research.
That is quite a task for a game that is not very actively played as far as I know.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Ryoma

Daniel3D

Quote from: Ryoma on July 27, 2021, 12:03:18 PM
And for test drive 3?
I don't know.
Does it have an active driving community?

Whatever the game, it will be different and unique. At least the early nineties games. It took a lot for the stunts game to be modified. I don't expect that effort to be put in an other game.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Stunts got its community because of its flexibility. You can make your own tracks, save replays and share them and in the last decade, even make your own cars!  But even before that, Stunts had more cars than most other games. Test Drive III is a very nice game, but its focus is somewhere else. I would like, however, to be able to make a nice engine someday with capabilities that could well combine these games. Really, the graphics part is some work, but I've begun to understand it pretty well. It's collision that I'm very lost with right now.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.