News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

SETI@home vs. Stunts

Started by Usrin, March 27, 2005, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usrin

I've a special problem... I run SETI@home on my computer, it always works in the background while I'm using other applications. But it doesn't work while I'm playing Stunts. Runs, but doesn't work: time of playing is added to CPU time in SETI@home, but the analysed part of the dataset doesn't increase even with 0,01%. Why? :?
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

al il professore

I also notice that overnet/edonkey does not download anything while i run
a DOS game like stunts. It works, but does not download. why?

if while playing stunts, usrin find an ET signal... after WOW! and LGM the next candidate for an ET signal will be called USRIN
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Krys TOFF

I also noticed that all downloads are stopped when playing Stunts.
I even had problems sometimes when playing Stunts while logged into chatroom.
I think it's due to that way a pure DOS game uses the ressources of the computer.

Mingva

Usrin: it's not only Stunts. I also run seti, and it stops playing a game which demands some PC resources. E.g., NBA Live, NFS Underground,...

Krys TOFF

Anyway : main question was "SETI vs Stunts", and the winner is...
Stunts !!! :smt109  

Usrin

Quote from: "Mingva"I also run seti, and it stops playing a game which demands some PC resources. E.g., NBA Live, NFS Underground,...
That's OK, because these games really use the resources that SETI would need. But I don't think Stunts use so big part of the resources on today's computers. And I have to mention that Szakadt cs?ves '88 (Akoss and CTG know what's that - the whole game is 55 kilobytes) also makes SETI very slow...
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

zaqrack

when starting a DOS window in windows it reserves 100% of the resources available for himself.
god bless windows ;)

Mingva

Quote from: "zaqrack"when starting a DOS window in windows it reserves 100% of the resources available for himself.
Yes, exactly. It's not the fault of the game but with the operational system :)

al il professore

two points:

1. SETI has stopped on 15 december, now its a part of the BOINC project. proteins, climatology and ET research...

2. stunts stops the internet connection for a home network under some conditions. under other conditions, it seems to allow a computer on the network to download and upload. here at the moment, stunts stops the connection for all the network.
It is reasonable to expect that genetic influences on traits like IQ should become less important as one gains experiences with age. Surprisingly, the opposite occurs.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview