News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Beer

Started by CTG, May 30, 2005, 05:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

CTG

Just lied: I have wine.

Usrin

I think I would have to re-rate the beers I know. Some good old brands have changed their quality (some of them improved, others declined) in the last few years. Or maybe my taste has changed...

Btw, I had a very positive surprise last week. Tuborg Green was sold for 150 HUF/0,5 l in Tesco, if buying at least 3 bottles. Nowadays even the basic Hungarian beers (Borsodi, Soproni, Arany Ászok, etc.) are more expensive, moreover, this Tuborg was not brewed in Croatia, so I didn't expect too much. But it turned out that Tuborg Green still belongs to a higher class of beers. Borsodi & Soproni (which I usually enjoy) are featureless, water-like liquids if compared to it...

Final result: Tuborg Green (CRO, 4,6% V/V) - 9/10.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Usrin

New evaluation of some further beers I have recently had:

Borsodi: 5/10
Soproni: 6/10
Soproni 1895: 7.5/10
Arany Ászok: 4/10
Dreher: 4.5/10 (very serious decline... in price/value ratio, even Arany Ászok, the 'low class' brand of the same brewery is better)
Kozel (HUN): 3/10 (the above-mentioned brewery in Budapest started to brew this crappy product with the good-sounding Czech name and logo).
HB (HUN): 4/10 (similar story, with the same brewery)
Löwenbrau (HUN): 2.5/10 (similar story, but with Borsodi Brewery)
Steffl (HUN): 4.5/10 (similar story, with Soproni Brewery)

Usrin

More to come!

Adambrau (HUN): 4/10
Arany Ászok Félbarna ("semi-brown"): 6/10
Dreher Bak (HUN, 7,2% V/V, brown): 8/10
Argus Strong (POL. 7,2% V/V, sold in Lidl): 2.5/10
Borsodi Bivaly (6,5% V/V): 5/10

BÖFF! ;)

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I also tend to think that the taste and quality of beers are changing. I rather believe in that, since the good old Pilsner Urquell, probably the best beer, still have the same taste and quality for me (and it is still a Czech import), which means my taste has not changed.

I strongly agree with the things Usrin wrote about basic Hungarian beers and average import beers, I also experienced that. I know a small shop where Borsodi was sold for 185 HUF last year, while Tuborg Green cost 180 HUF and Holsten cost 170 HUF. I never bought Borsodi there. Now this small shop is farther from me, I choose other shops.

But in shops like Coop, Reál and Alfi, Hungarian beers have a better price related to import beers, than in supermarkets like Tesco. In a nearby Coop, I can always get my canned Borsodi for 169 HUF. :D

Let me rate some beers then:

Pilsner Urquell 10
Löwenweisse 9.5
Dreher 7 (but not as good as it was earlier)
Soproni 1895 7
Holsten* 6.5
Amstel 6
Borsodi 6 (+erection induction +home beer -> 10 pts  ;D)
Tuborg Green* 6
Soproni 5.5
Grafen Walder (Lidl) 5
Köbányai 5
HB HUN 4.5
Steffl HUN 4.5
Carlsberg SRB 4 (!!!; I would not call it Carlsberg at all...)
Arany Ászok 3
Kozel HUN 3
Löwenbrau HUN 2

*I can't remember where they were brewed
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Friker

Quote from: Usrin on May 30, 2005, 07:46:15 PM
It's delicious, but more expensive than my Hungarian favourites, so I don't use to buy it in Hungary. And the REALLY good Slovak beers (Saris and Tatran) are sold only in Slovakia...
Šariš is a very bad kind of beer.. uff..
Quote from: Akoss Poo on February 23, 2012, 10:41:48 AM
I also tend to think that the taste and quality of beers are changing. I rather believe in that, since the good old Pilsner Urquell, probably the best beer, still have the same taste and quality for me (and it is still a Czech import), which means my taste has not changed.
Plze? (Pilsner Urquell) is a water compared to czech home-made beers, but still it is a good drink. :) i would rate it somewhere around 8. (also a style of serving is important)

I am very suprised - it seems you have lots of very bad beers in Hungary. We have also bunch of bad beers (priced around 100 HUF) but i am afraid of tasting them. :)

CTG

The really cheap (import) beers are mainly made in Germany / Czech Republic. With 3-4 % alcohol content... (pee)

CTG

Btw Hungary is the land of wine and pálinka. Our beers are simply crappy. "Czechslovakian" beers are mainly good, but they are far from my taste (my favorites from there are Budvar and Topvar Marina). Belgium... that's another class for me. :)

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Friker on February 23, 2012, 11:47:02 AM
Quote from: Usrin on May 30, 2005, 07:46:15 PM
It's delicious, but more expensive than my Hungarian favourites, so I don't use to buy it in Hungary. And the REALLY good Slovak beers (Saris and Tatran) are sold only in Slovakia...
Quote from: Akoss Poo on February 23, 2012, 10:41:48 AM
Plze? (Pilsner Urquell) is a water compared to czech home-made beers, but still it is a good drink. :) i would rate it somewhere around 8. (also a style of serving is important)

I am very suprised - it seems you have lots of very bad beers in Hungary. We have also bunch of bad beers (priced around 100 HUF) but i am afraid of tasting them. :)

The Hungarian beers are not that bad (the basic Hungarian brands are: Borsodi, Soproni, Köbányai, Szalon, Arany Ászok, Dreher). Soproni 1895 and Dreher are quality beers with a good taste, the other ones are around average.

The bad ones on our lists are brewed in Hungary under license of non-Hungarian beer breweries - these beers are marked with 'HUN' code, not the real Hungarian ones.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Friker

Well, next time I will be in Hungary I must try that Borsodi beer. :)

CTG

Quote from: Friker on February 23, 2012, 07:34:22 PM
Well, next time I will be in Hungary I must try that Borsodi beer. :)

Borsodi has corn taste... :D

Usrin

Quote from: Friker

Perhaps I was biased towards Slovakian products. :D Or maybe beers in Slovakia also underwent serious changes. The mystery should be solved by a beer trip to Slovakia. Coming soon!
8)

Friker

Quote from: Usrin on February 23, 2012, 10:25:59 PM
Quote from: Friker

Perhaps I was biased towards Slovakian products. :D Or maybe beers in Slovakia also underwent serious changes. The mystery should be solved by a beer trip to Slovakia. Coming soon!
8)
There is kind of mis(t)ery about Czech/Slovak beers. I don't drink so much and in most cases it was more important how it was served than which trademark it is.. And yeah - beer and slutty girls - that's what Slovakia is good at. :)

Usrin

Quote from: Friker on February 24, 2012, 02:55:59 AM
And yeah - beer and slutty girls - that's what Slovakia is good at. :)
I would add:
- great cuisine (for my taste), especially if regarding Czech+Slovak together
- great landscapes and really nice towns
- good-sounding language (although I understand only a few words, it always gives me a good mood)
- and so on...