News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Beer

Started by CTG, May 30, 2005, 05:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Latest beer tests and ratings:

Arany Fácán/HUN: 4/10
Augsteiner Weissbier/GER (Penny Market): 3.5/10
London Pride/GBR: 6/10
Trooper Beer (official Iron Maiden beer)/GBR: 7.5/10
Paulaner/GER: 6.5/10 (the wheat beer is much better)
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Well, I forgot to write it here, but:

Kroenenburg 1664 (FRA, semi-wheat beer, 5.0%, 269 HUF/0.5l can, Kazincbarcika Tesco) 7/10 - surprisingly good.

629.09 km

CTG

NEPOSZTOJJÁ' BAZMEG!

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on August 09, 2014, 08:22:11 PM

Kroenenburg 1664 (FRA, semi-wheat beer, 5.0%, 269 HUF/0.5l can, Kazincbarcika Tesco) 7/10 - surprisingly good.

Have you ever tried Kronenburg with coriander-orange taste? That's a perfect drink. Not a real beer, but still perfect.

Quote from: CTG on August 09, 2014, 08:23:31 PM

Have you ever tried Kronenburg with coriander-orange taste? That's a perfect drink. Not a real beer, but still perfect.

No, I haven't. But I think Kroenenbourg 1664 probably has the nicest can design.

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on August 09, 2014, 08:43:23 PM

No, I haven't. But I think Kroenenbourg 1664 probably has the nicest can design.

You mean this?

Quote from: CTG on August 09, 2014, 09:07:40 PM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on August 09, 2014, 08:43:23 PM

You mean this?

That's a bottle. I mean the can. http://popsop.ru/wp-content/uploads/kronenbourg_new_campaign_01.jpg

629.09 km

CTG

Both the can and the bottle are beautiful.

Some Czech beers are in the Lidl supermarkets! I tested three of them:

Uhersky' Brod - full of taste, maybe a bit too much of it... but a good beer, 6/10
Démon Polotmavy' Speciál Chlumec - semi-dark beer, not my kind, probably the worst Czech beer I've ever tasted, 3/10
Rychtár'- that is my kind of a Czechoslovak type of beer, 7/10 (highly recommended!)

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on August 15, 2014, 01:36:46 PM
a good beer, 6/10
7/10 (highly recommended!)

7/10 as recommended? 6/10 as good? LOL! As for me, 6 is still mediorce, 7 is good.

We might use a different classification system.

Quote from: CTG on August 15, 2014, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on August 15, 2014, 01:36:46 PM
a good beer, 6/10
7/10 (highly recommended!)

7/10 as recommended? 6/10 as good? LOL! As for me, 6 is still mediorce, 7 is good.

We might use a different classification system.

I think the distribution of our given marks doesn't differ to a significant extent. Our numeric rating scale probably tells the same.

I think the difference is between rating words. And maybe even less than you thought. Because, after a self-analysis of my rating system (numeric and labelled scale), I found that saying 'good' or 'mediocre' or 'recommended' is rather the function of the price/value ratio than the unbiased, independent mark. I would also say '7' is good, but if the beer is relatively cheap - like it was for my Czech beers, 189 HUF/0.5l each - I would say 'good' even if the beer's rating is only 6.

And Rychtár' (r'=Czech rzh letter, not displayed correctly here) is a strong 7 and still only 189 HUF, I can recommend it to everyone who finds this beer. But if the beer costs 350 HUF for example, at least a strong 8 is needed to call it a 'highly recommended' beer.

629.09 km

CTG

Drinking a cold Kwak in Danish Tavern (Brussels), from its' own unique design glass... fuckin' highly recommended, even if it's 3.80 Euro. ;D

http://www.danishtavern.be/photos_en.html

CTG

Hey, hey, hey!!! I've just found this abstract: DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.06.021

According to the article, gluten level of beer is a lot lower than I thought. For comparison: bread contains 20,000-100,000 ppm (part per million) gluten; a really thick wheat beer is around 400 ppm, light beers contain only 20-50 ppm, while <20 ppm is already considered as "gluten free" in food industry. Shall I drink beer again instead of cider - which is even more fattening with its' high sugar content? :D

BonzaiJoe

I've just read an article reporting that non-celiac gluten intolerance has been conclusively shown not to exist in a rigorous placebo study.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

OFF:

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on August 22, 2014, 05:16:11 PM
I've just read an article reporting that non-celiac gluten intolerance has been conclusively shown not to exist in a rigorous placebo study.

My case is quite a strange one - probably many of my intolerances are cross-reactions. In many cases, lactose and gluten intolerance occur together, although you acquired/inherited only one of them - if so, the other one should disappear when your bowels are regenerated during the strict diet.

Two years ago I had a sudden weight loss accompanied with serious bowel and liver symptoms.
1, Two independent lab tests proved that I have mediorce to severe level IgG-mediated intolerance to differents foods, including all the cereals with gluten content (wheat, rye, oat, barley), eggs, nuts, some fruits, etc. Lactose intolerance was not detectable with this test - however, hydrogen exhalation test could prove it later. Severe eosinophilia was also recognized (sometimes it shows an extreme level, 6-8 times to normal) - caused by an immunological reaction of my body.
2, In contrary, the classic celiac disease test (IgA-specific) gave a negative result.
3, According to the stomach and intestinal biopsy results, I had (and probably still have) a chronic inflammation in my gastrointestinal tract.
4, When I started the "everything"-free diet, the stomach symptoms became more tolerable (less pain and cramp, moderate inflation), my ingestion became more effective / predictable and the weight loss stopped, too. But when I break the rules (e.g. with a panino or a shitty Alpenmilch chocolate), the symptoms - like the strong pain and lack of "ZCT149" for 3-5 days - re-appear.

I'm pretty sure it's not celiac disease, maybe another kind of malnutrition problem (or just the long-term response of my body to the chemicals, failed pharmaceutical ingredient candidates I worked with).

ON:

I'm going to test some really shitty beer brands in the following weeks. To esteem the good quality, sometimes you have to see the other end of the scale...