News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Windows vs others

Started by CTG, October 20, 2005, 10:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Sometimes I feel it's time to change. I want Linux but my work needs Windows XP. Damn, this situation is crap. :?

Yes, my XP is in ruins again...  :roll:

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Linux is the operation system of monitor addicts, of men with cube-shaped face with glasses who learns maths and/or computer science. CTG, you are not that kind of man!
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

zaqrack

Quote from: "Akoss Poo"Linux is the operation system of monitor addicts, of men with cube-shaped face with glasses who learns maths and/or computer science. CTG, you are not that kind of man!

thats an outdated stereotype, there are some linuxes which are like that, and there are some which are easier to use than windows.

Krys TOFF

Red Hat Linux is for computer addicts, Mandrake Linux is for everyone.

Anyway, I still prefer good old DOS. :-D
I remember making batch programs, small but efficient ones, using "be" program (which means batch extented) to make some special effects and another small program called "3D Menu" for launching games.
A few months ago, one of my colleagues sent me a keylogger, but I detected it. I answered to him with sending him a batch file that I converted to executable and renamed it "sex.exe" just to be sure he would open it.
This simple batch program just renamed all his .mp3 files into .txt files in a few seconds. It took him 3 days to rename them all one by one !!! :lol:
This program also took all his True Type fonts and copied them to his Windows desktop. It also took his some time to delete the all in oreder to get his Windows desktop back. :lol:
I'm just a crazy guy sometimes... And I love it. :-D

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I also liked the good old DOS the most. It would be the best if we had a modern DOS version. It is still the most intelligent operating system ever made. I also had many many batch programs, so for instance, I only had to type a single letter+enter to start my favourite games. Under DOS, it was available to start Windows, from Windows, we can returned to DOS... oh, good old times with my 386...
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on November 02, 2005, 11:05:17 PM
I also liked the good old DOS the most. It would be the best if we had a modern DOS version. It is still the most intelligent operating system ever made. I also had many many batch programs, so for instance, I only had to type a single letter+enter to start my favourite games. Under DOS, it was available to start Windows, from Windows, we can returned to DOS... oh, good old times with my 386...

And DOSBox is not the same... Skid IT development! ;D

Friker

O.o talking about DOS as the most intelligent OS is very wierd and stinky.. Also I've never had a single problem with stability of my Windows. and to the topic - I think choosing your favourite OS is only matter of taste.

CTG

Quote from: Friker on May 30, 2013, 09:59:43 PM
I've never had a single problem with stability of my Windows.

Good for you. As far as I remember, Windows 2000 was a nightmare (with daily blue death).

Friker

Quote from: CTG on June 01, 2013, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: Friker on May 30, 2013, 09:59:43 PM
I've never had a single problem with stability of my Windows.

Good for you. As far as I remember, Windows 2000 was a nightmare (with daily blue death).

O.o and it is said that win2k is the best of wins. :) well.. we agreed with my friends that stability of windows is matter of taking care of them.

Daniel3D

Some time has passed. But some things never change.

Windows logic....
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Ha, ha, ha!  Well, I haven't used Windows on my own computer since about 2005 or 2006, but it was never my primary OS. I didn't have it before 2000 and in those years in between, I only used it to go online (which wasn't something you were doing all the time back then). GNU/Linux is much better in some respects, like about these auto-updates, but does have its daemons (literally :P). I particularily hate the dependency-hell problem, but several potential solutions have come up through the years and I expect one of them eventually will prevail.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

I grew up with Windows, I have dyslexia and DOS wasn't easy for me. At the time windows was the only alternative I had access to. I was four when our first DOS computer came (work computer of my dad) and 5 or 6 when it was replaced with a Windows one.

I could just click on the game I wanted to play and that was easier than typing.
(True, I learned how to type enough to load a game before I could read and write. But I didn't have dyslexia back then)
When I was 5 I got seriously ill and although I got better within a week some minor brain damage was done.
Windows was a salvation and I have had most versions after that. At first because I had no choice but later because I knew everything about it, understood it logic. Can't get used to an other OS now. I've tried. I like Linux, more honest than Microsoft or Apple.

The laptop that was running Linux (mentioned that in an other topic) has been updated to Windows again because I broke Linux (Ubuntu and mint) for the fourth time in 2 months.
But it's amiliorated. (All native spyware removed)
No update, no edge browser, about 20% of windows removed. It doesn't even know if the computer has a internet connection because windows is not allowed to check.  8)
Makes it faster and more stable to  ::)

That I can do no problem. Install a server, domain controller, no problems. Did it without trouble and learning afterwards that the things I did are normally learned in a full time 4 year education..
And then some...
I said, but it is logical, why would you need to go to school? Just do it.

So what some of you have with DOS or Linux, I have with Windows.
(Sorry for rambling on.. it's 11PM. Just got off work. I felt inspired  8) )
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

Quote from: Daniel3D on January 14, 2021, 11:00:28 PM
So what some of you have with DOS or Linux, I have with Windows.

I'm a "use the tool that does the job best" person, and Windows is best at... windows. I know Linux inside-out at this point, and I know my way around MacOS if I need to (hello latest job), but comfort means Windows. Tricked out, cut-down, re-configured, but still Windows.

And what I used to do on head-less computer, then later in a Linux VM, now runs in the linux subsystem.

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on January 15, 2021, 07:13:43 PM
the linux subsystem.
O, I loved when ms implemented the subsystem. I broke it in two days though.
Something with 'not intended to run a graphical interface'  8)
It could though, Gimp worked fine...
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

Yes, it breaks if you step outside the beaten path :)  But you can uninstall and reinstall it in 3 minutes, and you are good to go again.