News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Bike topic

Started by zaqrack, November 07, 2005, 08:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

Mislav

Zak, that's a nice video! You seem like a bike tour expert so I'd like to know how many bigger bike tours you made, and how big the distances were you solved in one day, the topographics of the terrain etc. If you could make a short list of your bike tours with main distances(etappes?) and tour lenght (km/days). I ask cause I'm going to travel with a friend from Zagreb to the Adriatic see, by bike! It's about 180 kilometres, there's a big mountain complex before arriving to the coast, so I think we'll need for the tour about 3 days. It's gonna be exausting, maybe we'll never arrive so if you have some expert suggestions, they are welcome!

P.S. Nice bike Krys Toff has!  :D

zaqrack

with a semi-skilled team (regularly biking, but not often) 80km/day on flat terrain is OK, so I guess 3 days for the 180km with mountains is just fine.

Sadly I only did only a few multi-day trips. On one day trips my records were 160km (mainly flat) and 120km (4400m uphill altitude gain), both on terrain, no paved roads.

On multi-day trips on paved road I usually headed for quite a hilly terrain and did 80-100km/day for 2-4 days.

It is important to bring some necessary tools, lots of spare food (even if you intend to eat in restaurants) and plan the accomodation always with a 'B plan' in advance. Try to avoid bags on yourself, put the weight to the bike. Hold many short breaks, and rise early, it is easier to ride in the morning and the late afternoon, the heat can be much more exhausting than the distance.

CTG

alanrotoi

Chulk

That must be really hard to do with such a tiny bike
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

The biggest respect to him! I wish to see the same after his 105th birthday!

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/02/17/100-year-old-sets-cycling-record/

zaqrack

Any comments on Armstrong? Anybody surprised?

BonzaiJoe

Slightly surprised that it's uncovered already. I thought they would hold it off for 5-10 more years.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on October 22, 2012, 03:53:02 PM
Any comments on Armstrong? Anybody surprised?

The only surprise: I thought it won't ever happen to an American "idol". But I'm happy to see I was wrong.

Chulk

Is there at least one top dog at cycling (or swimming, it's the same) that doesn't do these kind of things? They just do it in a way it can't be discovered today, but if they check today's guys' blood in 10 years they would find everyone was doping
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Usrin

Of course I'm not surprised that he doped. But neither I thought that it would be uncovered - not only because he was an "American idol", but because this scandal can destroy the whole business around competitive cycling. Will anybody believe that the others, now "shocked" by the news about Armstrong, were clear? It is physically impossible to complete Tour de France without doping...
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

CTG

Quote from: Usrin on October 26, 2012, 12:33:32 AM
It is physically impossible to complete Tour de France without doping...

Like swimming 100 m in 47 seconds or throwing 82 m with a hammer. The whole professional sport is based on dopes.

BonzaiJoe

I don't think that's true about the Tour de France. Blood doping is just the extra 5-10% edge. It makes a huge difference to determine the winners, but it's far from impossible to finish the Tour de France without it.
But we can't be quite sure.