News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

HOWTO: Change your cars... the HARD way

Started by bhtooefr, December 27, 2005, 06:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhtooefr

I'll demonstrate how to do this, using a "TDI Conversion" on the Audi Quattro Sport.

I used the information on this page to do the edits. XVI32 was the program I chose.

First, fire up a command prompt, and go the directory that Stunts is in. Then, type the following command:copy *audi* *autd*
That will give you a second set of files to work with.

Now, the TDI engine has a rev limiter at 5100 RPMs, optimal upshift point at about 4000 RPMs, optimal downshift point around 2000 RPMs, and idle speed of 903 RPMs. While the power curve is DRASTICALLY different, and the gearing is DRASTICALLY different, I've been told that the two counteract, and end up being relatively close. However, someone with a B5 Passat with the 134hp 2.0L Pumpe-Duese TDI engine might want to verify all of this.

The default idle speed of 03 (in address $2D) is fine - that's around 950 RPMs, but we can live with that.

Downshift speed defaults to 0F (in address $2F). That is way high, around 4150 RPMs, whereas we need a downshift speed of 2000 RPMs, or 07. Simply click in the cell that says 0F, make sure that it says "Adr. hex: 2F" at the bottom of the screen, and type 07.

Upshift speed defaults to 1A. I honestly forget the RPMs that this is at, but IIRC, it's somewhere between 7000 and 8000. Seeing as our engine has a redline of 5100 RPMs...  :shock: I dropped it to 0E (address $31), or just shy of 4000 RPMs.

Now, to get that redline set right. 5100 RPMs is right around 12. That goes in address $33.

Now, we have a fully functional car. I'm going to have some TDIClubbers test it out, but it's got a 9.4 second 0-60 (about right, the 2004/2005 Passat, which is a bigger car, but on a newer platform, has a 10.2 second 0-60), and a max speed of 122 MPH (that might be a little low - 120 is easy for a Passat TDI, according to a few members on the board who might have *ahem*accidentally*ahem* achieved that speed).

Let's put some identifying marks on it, so we know it's not the same as the Audi Quattro Sport gasser.

Click on the right hand side, on the "t" in the first instance of Sport. Type a capital T, and then go to Edit>Insert String... Type "DI" (no quotes), and put it in there.

Click on the D in DOHC. Type "PD-TDI Turbodiesel " (note: that is a space at the end).

Click on the 1 in 2133 cc, and type "000 cc, 134 HP".

Click on the 6 in 6.1 sec, and type 9.4.

Click on the 1 in 145 MPH, and type 122.

Click on the d in Audi, and type TD.

Click on the t in Sport, type a T, and go to Edit>Insert String, and type "DI".

Save the file.

Start Stunts, and enjoy your new bone stock, except not bone stock car.

(Note: I've still gotta figure out the power curve thing, and the gear ratios. Diesels are really torquey, too, and the power curve appears to be an HP curve.)

bhtooefr

Also, a problem I noticed with my guide: you need to open CARAUTD.RES in XVI32 to do these edits.

zaqrack

nice :)
if you produce some modified cars which art sort of different from the originals send them to me and we might use them on a track later.

bhtooefr

And, I'll go ahead and throw in the edited file, for those of you who are too lazy to edit it ;)

This post has ALL of the files necessary for the Audi Quattro SporTDI. Simply unzip to your Stunts directory.
The Mad Scientist: Experimenting with modding cars in Stunts!
Real-world car: 1985 VW Jetta | 1.6L NA diesel | 5 speed

bhtooefr

Updated version, with a correct power curve (I took the 1.9L PD100's power curve, and boosted everything to 2.0L PD134 levels), and better gearing (changed the final drive - everything else was close to an A5 Jetta TDI, which is close enough for government work).

Enjoy!
The Mad Scientist: Experimenting with modding cars in Stunts!
Real-world car: 1985 VW Jetta | 1.6L NA diesel | 5 speed

USC_closure

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview