News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Statistics

Started by CTG, March 08, 2006, 03:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An official monthly race needs at least...

2 pipsqueaks
2 (25%)
3 pipsqueaks
1 (12.5%)
4 pipsqueaks
2 (25%)
5 pipsqueaks
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 08, 2006, 03:43:06 PM

CTG

I must start with an important question. I do the racing stats for ages and I met some races from certain championships with 1 or 2 pipsqueaks. As you know there's an overall medal table of all championships. I don't want to delete these races totally but I want to remove them from rankings list. Do you agree with this? What's the minimal number of pipsqueaks when we can call it an official race? Let's vote!

JTK

Two people compting in a race - to me that's a race (also 1 pipsqueak against clock is a race...).

BonzaiJoe

Well, since it's just a medal table, and not a list of who are the best pipsqueaks, I think it doesn't matter so much how many pipsqueaks participated in the races.
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

Ok, one pipsqueak against the clock = a race.
BUT : medal table needs at least 3 pipsqueaks, else there would be more gold medals than bronze medals. This would be strange.
And an interesting race needs at least 4 pipsqueaks, like snowboard cross finals at Olympic winter games. If all pipsqueaks are sure to get a medal, there's less interest. At least one must fall in order to give importance to the podium.

Argammon

I agree with Krys Toff.

The grammatical definition of race should be independent of what we are trying to do here :)

And any competition with less than 4/5 pipsqueaks can't be taken seriously.
At least if it is an internet world wide competition which is compared to Kalpen,zakstunts and the like.

Another point is that I would stay away from mixing several competitions into 1 rankinglist.For example if I would win 5 races in stunts-lol that's still a lot easier than to win 1 race in zakstunts.

Maybe even a Zakstunts top 5 place is more prestigious and harder to archieve than a stuntslol victory...

CTG

My point of view is similar to Argammon and Krys. I voted for 3 pipsqueaks but it was a hard decision between 3/4. I'll keep even the one pipsqueak contests in NUMBER OF RACES stats, because that pipsqueak took the time and drove the track. He deserves that extra race. But in medal table stats we need more pipsqueaks, at least 3 or 4.

To disagree a bit with Argie: there were some (not too much, maybe three) races in Stunts LOL having higher level than early ZSC races with Fdrzieva. But in general you are totally right. :) That's why I count all the championships in separate medal table too.

Mislav

Let's take an example: Formula 1 2005 - USA.

On the starting grid, six cars - it was a shame, and nobody could say anything serious about the race. Our TV commentators just laughed and said after three laps, "we will not comment that race, it's to senseless".

So every medal has it's own story, worth and price. But to start analyzing it, that would be impossible. Is a 2nd place with 20 competitors more worth than a victory with only 6 pipsqueaks? We can't really tell.

But what we can do is - if two pipsqueaks have the same number of gold medals, let's say 1, then both 3 silver and 2 bronze (so an equal points at the medal table), the pipsqueak with a gold medal who won in a race with more competitors should be better placed that a pipsqueak who won his gold in a race with 4 pipsqueaks.

Argammon

Mislav I think your analogy is not 100% correct ;-)

For example imagine that next month for whatever reason we will only have 6 pipsqueaks in Zakstunts,which is the strongest stunts competition nowadays.That's analogous to the formula 1 situation you described.

And now imagine I would take some local Cart-race championship and add it's podiums to the podiums of the formula 1 drivers.

So yes I can tell which competition is strong and which is not.
And it's not only dependent on the number of pipsqueaks of course.

Argammon

CTG,you can't compare.

With the (maybe) exception the older ZCT races where made without 'advanced replay handling'

That doesn't change the fact that in the early days Kalpen was the strongest competition and not ZCT!

But I think comparing stunts LOL 2005 ?? to zakstunts 2000 is .... ;-)

CTG

Quote from: "Argammon"CTG,you can't compare.

With the (maybe) exception the older ZCT races where made without 'advanced replay handling'

That doesn't change the fact that in the early days Kalpen was the strongest competition and not ZCT!

But I think comparing stunts LOL 2005 ?? to zakstunts 2000 is .... ;-)

I compared the names.

Mislav

Argi, maybe we didn't understand each other - I also think that ZakStunts medals are harder to win (achieve? is that the right word?) than any other, so it's sensless to put all medals in one scoreboard.

If we really wanted that all medals count the same, we should have every time the same number of pipsqueaks and even better, the same pipsqueaks (like Formula 1)...and only one and only championship...  but that is impossible...and by the way, that would suck... :)

BonzaiJoe

Excuse me, but isn't this supposed be a medal table, and not a world-ranking-list? Let's keep them separated. Medal tables don't have to have the absolutely best pipsqueak on top.
But we can't be quite sure.

Argammon

Excuse accepted  :D  joking ;)

Ok well I see your point Jacky but there's always a limit :)

Even a medal table should make at least 'a bit' sense.If the difference between 2 competitions is to large they shouldn't be thrown together IMO.
You could argue that the medal table is totally irrelevant anyways and right are you :)

CTG

Quote from: Argammon on March 09, 2006, 06:32:35 PM
Excuse accepted  :D  joking ;)

Ok well I see your point Jacky but there's always a limit :)

Even a medal table should make at least 'a bit' sense.If the difference between 2 competitions is to large they shouldn't be thrown together IMO.
You could argue that the medal table is totally irrelevant anyways and right are you :)

Comparing the value of medals? Watch the Olympic Games: golden medal of basketball tournament is equal to skeet shooting victory on the medal table...

Duplode

CTG: in the latest version of Statistics, WSC Round 6 (Pizza) results were not included as Paleke was, due to technical issues, unable to update the site. Official results were published on the forum, though (here, although it is unreacheable currently due to further computer trouble). The standings were: Mark, Duplode, AbuRaf, Krys and Paleke. And BTW, for anyone interested in IRC, Round 7 (Emoci?n, penned by Mark) deadlines this week...  8).