News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

SDR - NoRH Competition

Started by zaqrack, June 02, 2006, 01:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

I tried CTRL-ALT-F5 in DOSBox 0.65 but couldn't do a capture. What the hell can be the problem?

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "SuperBrian"It's right, I'm using the danish keyboard, and therefore I spend 10 minutes with finding the colon, with pressing shift+?, and 2 minutes more with finding the opposit slash pressing Ctrl+?, but as Paleke discribed for me, is this opposit slash making an automatically "enter", so I cannot write the right code:

Mount C C:\stuntcar\stunts_k
You will have this problem only if you do not configure DOSBox as I tolf you. then, of course, you'll need to type the mount command at each new start of DOSBox.
But if you write it in the end of the DOSBox.conf file, you will not have to write it everytime. It will be written once for all.
And as you modify DOSBox.conf file in Windows, this can be made using your normal keyboard. :wink:

SuperBrian

How do I write what in which end of the dosbox.conf file, I don't really know what you mean? :?
Charles Dickens said: "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."

SuperBrian

Wee, it works, I figured out that I could make the opposit slash in 2 ways, and that the one way didn't make an automatically "enter".
I also recorded a movie of my race, I think, because I cannot see the movies, in SDR-site it says:

IMPORTANT! Install movie codec (StartMenu ? Programs ? DOSBox-0.65 ? Video)

But what does that mean, and where shall I write it? :o
Charles Dickens said: "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."

SuperBrian

CTG, how many times have you tried? I don't know how you do it, but have you tried to push all 3 buttons at the same time?

And remember to do it before race and after race + name, that's all the advice I have...  :?

Chulk

It's a great idea but sadly I can't play because Stunts runs awfully!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

SuperBrian

Ya, it's right. It really runs bad and is very hard to handle, but remember one thing: It is the same problem for everyone, so we might end up with a close race with new faces in the lead, try make a video and participate anyway, even though the time gets bad. 8)

CTG

Quote from: "SuperBrian"CTG, how many times have you tried? I don't know how you do it, but have you tried to push all 3 buttons at the same time?

And remember to do it before race and after race + name, that's all the advice I have...  :?

4 times, always pushed them in the same time.

Mark L. Rivers

About video recording, yes, CTRL+ALT+F5 keys have to press in the same time. Personally, I press before CTRL, then ALT, then F5 and then I release all the keys. This activates the video recording (you can see immediately the creation of the .AVI file in C:\PROGRAMS\DOSBOX-0.65\CAPTURE which have substantially 0 byte or little more). When you press again CTRL+ALT+F5, this stops the video recording (you can see immediately in the same directory how the dimension of the file become real dipendently from recording time.

About ZMBV codec, maybe these are needed only for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I have checked in the official DOSBox forum (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php?c=7) and in the official DOSBox guide (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php) but I have not found a single topics that says that Video recording is only for Win2000/XP.
Anyway, you can install the codec press the "Start Menu" of your Operating System, then pointing "Programs", then pointing "DOSBox-0.65", then pointing "Video" and then clicking on "Install movie codec".

About how the application runs, as I has wrote before, you can try many other information to speed up DOSBox 0.65 reading these link:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=RunningResourceDemandingGames

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=dosbox.conf%2Fcpu

A little guide to make more fluently the game is here (this is an extract of the readme.txt included in DOSBox 0.65):

===================================
8. To run resource-demanding games:
===================================

DOSBox emulates the CPU, the sound and graphic cards, and some other stuff, all at the same time. You can overclock DOSBox by using CTRL-F12, but you'll be limited by the power of your actual CPU. You can see how much free time your true CPU has by looking at the Task Manager in Windows 2000/XP and the System Monitor in Windows 95/98/ME. Once 100% of your real CPU time is used there is no further way to speed up DOSBox unless you reduce the load generated by the non-CPU parts of DOSBox.

So:

Close every program but DOSBox

Overclock DOSBox until 100% of your CPU is used (use the utilities above to check)

Since VGA emulation is the most demanding part of DOSBox in terms of actual CPU usage, we'll start there. Increase the number of frames skipped (in increments of one) by pressing CTRL-F8. Your CPU usage should decrease. Go back one step and repeat this until the game runs fast enough for you. Please note that this is a trade-off: you lose in fluidity of video what you gain in speed You can also try to disable the sound through the setup utility of the game to reduce load on your CPU further.

So press CTRL+11 or CTRL+12 and CTRL+7 or CTRL+8 to regulate the basic parameters about speed/fluently.

I hope this can help you.  :)

SuperBrian

Yea, Mark I could see your "unknow(n)" video, but I couldn't see the one I made, but it was just the first video I made I couldn't see, I can see the latest ones now, so I'll send a video and replay later today. :D
Actually I made a 1.04.xx, but I forgot to save the replay! :(

zaqrack

dosbox has a nice keymapper, in linux its invoked by dosbox -keymapper at the command line, in windows I dunno how.

I have easily changed the start/stop key of capture to simply F5. Works like a charm.

SuperBrian

Hmm, good idea Zak. :P

Mark, I have send you 3 mails. In the first one I send the NoRH-replay and the zipped video, but I think the mail was too "heavy" to send, because my mail only allows to send 2MB. :!:
Then I split the next two mails into 2 pieces, one with replay and the other one with video, but the one with video seems to be too "heavy" as well, so if you don't have the video, when read this, please tell me what to do! :cry:

Mark L. Rivers

SuperBrian, I have received all your three e-mail, and if you check on SDR you can find a pleasing surprise....  :D

Yes, SuperBrian has made the first race using fully DOSBox 0.65!
The way is open...   :D

Chulk

Quote from: "SuperBrian"Ya, it's right. It really runs bad and is very hard to handle, but remember one thing: It is the same problem for everyone, so we might end up with a close race with new faces in the lead, try make a video and participate anyway, even though the time gets bad. 8)
OK, you've made my mind about that. I'll race (or at least try).
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

not working :?

I'll try it with snagit capture although it's extremly slow. Let's see if it works.