News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

NEW FORUM SOFTWARE

Started by zaqrack, July 14, 2006, 09:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

Oh, that's great - technology is moving ahead of me :) Thanks for implementing that, if it becomes necessary.
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on January 23, 2008, 09:02:16 PM
I can install a mod which can set daily post limit by users.
CTG=20 ghosts=1. Problem solved.
Not really... 20 daily posts limit is 600/monthly. CTG posts only half of that, so it will result on him spamming even more, just to reach the limit. Maybe a 25-30 posts/week can be a reasonable limit to everybody.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

I said 20 posts/day AND 70 posts/week. Double limit. If I post 60 messages between Monday and Wednesday, I have only 10 left for the next 4 days. Okay, it can be decreased to 50 posts/week. 25-30 messages/week is not enough, even you, Krys and sometimes BJ and Akoss used to post more than that!

Duplode

30 messages/week might be little in certain circumstances indeed (what would be of flamewars then?!  :P). Maybe hourly limits (something like 8 posts/hour, 12 posts/3 hours or whathever other more suitable numbers) could be easier to tune in order to prevent flood without restricting normal usage. I'd rather see the custom, user-specific, "emergency measures" Zak proposed, however...

PS: Sticking to the topic, post #300...  ;D
Edit/PS2: ROFL! Chulk reached post #1000 on this discussion as well!

zaqrack

due to the recent spamming I have strengthened the registration rules and of course deleted the spam accounts. Hope it'll help.

zaqrack

Since a couple of months accounts must get approval from an admin before they can be activated due to the high number of bots / spammers registering on the site. Is there anyone familiar with the SMF forum engine / plugins who could help me solve this problem?

Preauthorization works to keep spammers away, but it also keeps interested pipsqueaks joining discussions as they wish.

Oscar

I think the best way to prevent access to the spammers is to implement some field validation is not an existing plugin, it could also work well show another system or alternate systems capcha randomly.

zaqrack

captcha and email activation is already present. I will try to add more.
I am afraid these are not bots but real people who have the job to register on forums and then send spam.

Oscar

A crazy idea! We can add the stunts security system... same responses, if somebody wants to register must search the response.

zaqrack

Crazy, but good!
I will search for a plugin which allows to add user-defined questions as a registration requirement - we could define questions which all Stunts-fans know, but is hard for others to find out. Like: Who is the fastest opponent in Stunts? What is the fastest car in Stunts?

Chulk

Really a great idea indeed. Way to go!

zaqrack

Apparently version 2.0 of the forum engine just went stable. I will upgrade first - if downtime is expected, I will let you know.

zaqrack

forum updated, verification questions added, admin approval for registration removed. Another workday wasted (for good reasons :)) enjoy! :D

Chulk

I've just created an account "test" to see how it work and it works! I won't answer the activation email but if it still appears, feel free to delete it

zaqrack

cool! :)

I have also addedd language support for the following:
-German Informal
- Portuguese Brazilian
- Spanish (Latin)
- Danish
- Italian
- Hungarian

More on request.
Alan, this is mainly to attract 4dsl newbies.