News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Politics around the world

Started by CTG, November 17, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somehow I think Obama won't be a president for a long time. What do you think?

He'll be the president for 8 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll be the president for 4 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll fail earlier because of the economical crisis.
1 (4.5%)
He'll be murdered earlier by terrorists/Ku Klux Klan/McCain/Hillary Clinton :D
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Duplode

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 09, 2012, 12:04:57 PM
How is voting rights for 16-18 year olds working out? Are people happy about that? Are you?

We do not see it as a problem here; in fact, I can't recall ever having read anyone seriously criticizing the limit. Maybe it has to do with the historical context, as lowering the limit to 16 y.o. was one of the "optimistic" measures incorporated in the 1988 constitution which sealed the re-democratization process in Brazil. In any case, there is one extra caveat: voting here is obligatory, but only for people between 18 and 65 years old (so it is optional for the high schoolers).

Quote from: Chulk on November 09, 2012, 06:03:10 PM
I find it weird being responsible enough to decide a country's destiny (voting) or having a job and not being responsible enough to buy alcohol or drive...

It is a little weird, for sure; but maybe not so much if you compare the gains and, specially, risks involved (when driving the country you share the driver's seat with millions of others; while a young lad who drives holds in his hands the responsibility of, e. g., not crashing into a bus stop packed with commuters).

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on November 10, 2012, 03:56:04 AM
It is a little weird, for sure; but maybe not so much if you compare the gains and, specially, risks involved
On the other hand, driving needs a lot qualifications and knowledge than voting does. I don't know what's the case there, but here, most 16-18 y.o. are really immature and haven't got the simplest idea of politics or even a minimal knowledge about constitutional law...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

JTK

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 09, 2012, 12:04:57 PM
How is voting rights for 16-18 year olds working out? Are people happy about that? Are you?
I would have loved to have the right to vote at the age of 16. And it really is o.k for me for some reasons:
- Elder people  numbers are growing more and more so there's an overweight of the elder interests
- If you talk about politics with 16 years old you might have the experience, that they really think of what they can do with their voice and that they are concious of the meaning of a voice
- Why not representing the younger's world in politics? In Germany there are even thoughts of giving parents an extra vote for each child so that the children's interests may be represented.
- The earlier you may vote the earlier you might start understanding politics and might also start being involved.

And as long as it is on the lower regional level it is really o.k. by me.
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

JTK

I just read some articles about voting at the age of 16, very interesting arguments, pros and cons. Not in every federal state in Germany you may vote when you're 16, here in Schleswig-Holstein you may. I thought this article is quite interesting (German, of course, sorry...): http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/bremen-waehlen-mit-ein-erwachsenenprojekt-1.1098755
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

CTG

As far as I see, Hungarian teenagers know almost nothing about politics and they would vote only for "fashionable" parties. Since MSZP is rather supported by elder people and physical workers, they think it sucks, while Fidesz is "cool", because they are so popular (dunno why, Orbán is an annoying arrogant dwarf). Or shall I mention that Jobbik has an unapproachable support among the teenagers compared to any other age-groups?

Most of young people are simply retarded in Hungary. Or as I call them: the post-Chernobyl generation.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 08, 2012, 06:02:34 PM
Bonus:
Sex: 15

It's more complicated here.

Everything is allowed over 14.

If the older one is over 18:

- younger under 12: coitus is "sexual abduction", other perversion is "indecent behaviour", both are punished
- younger between 12 and 14: all forms of sex mean "pervert seduction", punished

If the older one is between 14 and 18:

- younger under 12: the same as in the case over 18
- younger between 12 and 14: coitus is "pervert seduction" (punished), other sexual acts are unpunished

If both of them are under 12, nothing happens.

Btw the "age of sexual consent" used to be different for hetero and homo relations before 2002 (14 and 18; now both are 14).

zaqrack

Quote from: CTG on November 09, 2012, 12:11:25 PM
Voting rights should be also limited by education level. I don't think somebody with 6 finished primary school classes and IQ 70 should be a voter (but they are - and check who is the current leader of Hungary).

I would rather support that taxpayer's votes count double or that parents can vote in the name of their children.

Obligatory vote between 18-65 as quoted by Duplode is also interesting to counter-measure the overweight of pensioners (e.g. in Hungary all parties are basically pensioner parties, as they form the largest voter's block so nobody wants to upset them)

Usrin

Quote from: zaqrack on November 15, 2012, 04:25:51 PM
Voting rights should be also limited by education level. I don't think somebody with 6 finished primary school classes and IQ 70 should be a voter (but they are - and check who is the current leader of Hungary).

I woudl rather support that taxpayer's votes count double...

That can't be realized. If there is no minimum tax for the right of the double vote, suddenly all pensioners will earn 1000 HUF/year, and pay 200 HUF tax. But applying a lower limit would be unfair aganist some poor, but working people.  And I hope that you count public servants as taxpayers, even if their tax is only taken from one pocket of the state to the other. (Talking about teachers, doctors, etc. as parasites of the society is common demagogy in Hungary...)
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Usrin on November 15, 2012, 04:46:14 PM
Quote from: zaqrack on November 15, 2012, 04:25:51 PM

I woudl rather support that taxpayer's votes count double...

That can't be realized. If there is no minimum tax for the right of the double vote, suddenly all pensioners will earn 1000 HUF/year, and pay 200 HUF tax. But applying a lower limit would be unfair aganist some poor, but working people.  And I hope that you count public servants as taxpayers, even if their tax is only taken from one pocket of the state to the other. (Talking about teachers, doctors, etc. as parasites of the society is common demagogy in Hungary...)

Agreed. Individual citizen rights and state policy-making go far beyond economical concerns. Also, the legislative assemblies decide on many matters other than how to spend taxpayer money.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Viktor Orbán - even as a prime minister - prefers to spend his time in more important places than the parliament. Now he posed with Guardiola after the Golden Ball ceremony. I'm "happy" to see he has time, energy and money to visit all the important international football events. Especially on a workday.

alanrotoi

BonzaiJoe

Really? I don't know much about Venezuelan affairs, but he seems like a total demagogue.

alanrotoi

Yes, you don't know. The american press makes him a devil and a stupid latin pharaoh.

BonzaiJoe

I know that the American perspective on Chavez is manipulative, and probably most European mainstream news also, but he still seems like someone who is mainly good with words and lofty promises, a bit like Obama.
But I'd like to hear a South American (although not Venezuelan) perspective.

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 10, 2013, 09:09:30 PM
Really? I don't know much about Venezuelan affairs, but he seems like a total demagogue.
I agree... and Alan and I also disagree about our own government (which is mainly the same as Chavez)
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)