News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Politics around the world

Started by CTG, November 17, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somehow I think Obama won't be a president for a long time. What do you think?

He'll be the president for 8 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll be the president for 4 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll fail earlier because of the economical crisis.
1 (4.5%)
He'll be murdered earlier by terrorists/Ku Klux Klan/McCain/Hillary Clinton :D
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Shoegazing Leo

We are in shock.

The brazilian democracy was killed by bribers who want to save themselves. Now, as president, Michel Temer can't be responsible by his acts before.

He bought senators with positions in state companies. Romario sold himself.

Shoegazing Leo

Now, the betrayor will aply the government plan of the second place of last elections. A program wich was rejected by the most of people. His allies are from PSDB and DEM, two parties of second place of last elections.

alanrotoi

I wonder how is a not democracy today. I mean, you still can write your opinion on internet... but I'm pretty sure those who has the media in brazil has the main internet companies. So you may forget your online privacy.

Hard times are comming :( XXI century style

alanrotoi

BonzaiJoe

Yes but.....

Since then,

- Brexit happened and is not looking promising
- The new American alt-right government is increasingly unpopular and makes for bad PR.
- elections in Netherlands, Austria and France have been won by pro-EU parties and lost by nationalists. Nationalists in Europe have had no victories since Brexit.
But we can't be quite sure.

afullo

Meanwhile, in Italy...

it took several years to get (at least apparently) rid of Berlusconi, which although being a quite able businessman, is basically an entrepreneur participating in politics only in order to defend his interests, and now:

• the left-wing PD (Partito Democratico, Democratic Party), with its allies, failed to take care of the necessities of the traditional social classes voting that side, and so had a huge drop (like in other EU countries, e.g. Netherlands);
  • the anti-estabilishment M5S (Movimento Cinque Stelle, Five Star Movement) is beginning to realize that you cannot do politics by just screaming slogans and talking of utopian ideals like basic income for everyone, so it's going to negotiate with other parties;
  • the anti-immigration Lega (League) is still considered untrustworthy in the south of the country, because of its past as Lega Nord (Northern League) fighting for less obligation for the richer north to sustain the welfare of the poorer south;
  • no one has a majority, not even in a single house: the M5S is the first party, but Lega with Berlusconi (and far-right Meloni) as a coalition outnumber them, although having less than half of both deputies and senators.

The risk is a compromise solution which would require to take aboard in some form Berlusconi again. Which, it has to be said, is more moderate on some topics than other parties, but if everything changes in order that nothing has changed, we would be trapped in a loop...

Cas

Well, in Argentina, we're at the middle of the presidential period, with the Kirchner "dynasty" having ended two years ago. Anger between what many refer to as "the two countries" si weakening finally, as some supporters of the former government are getting used to current reality and some defenders of the current no longer like what they're seeing, which makes people more similary, but times were hard a couple of years ago, like politics were a football game.

Things are more calm in some aspects and tighter in others now. The Kirchners had been fanatising some sectors, calling themselves "leftists" and dubbing their opponents "gorillas" and "neo-liberals", as if any politician had ever been on the side of people. But this propaganda works and the brainwash created the hatred the were incubating. It's better to let some people hate you very much as long as others turn into your loyal followers. That's a good bet for a political party. The new government is not fond of personality cult and populism, so things are calmer in this aspect. On the other hand, no longer throwing money up to the skies for prople to grab and get distracted, budgets have got a lot tighter. For international tourists, for instance, Argentina has turned from very cheap to very expensive really quickly. The government doesn't look as strong as at the beginning, so we're all wondering what will happen in two years. I'm guessing many Argentines of  different political positions are trying to save some money and getting their luggage ready for a quick run XD

Oh, this country, that never treats me well, but teaches me so much!   Some people thank their countries for making them love their flags and I thank mine for showing me how little value a flag can have and for making me a free citizen of the world.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Oh yes... and our currency devalued 9% in a week (a week with 4 holidays! weekend + 2 holidays). Well done Government!

Duplode

^^ Good one! It reminds me of the tales of Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray ultras protesting together against Erdogan.

alanrotoi

Hahaha  MAURICIO MACRI LA PUTA QUE TE PARIOOOOO

Duplode

Today I was surprised by news from Hungary in my mailbox... the Georg Lukács Archives in Budapest are being dismantled. Surely there are more pressing concerns in Hungary than the woes of a bunch of philosophers, and some of you know are overwhelmingly better able to talk about them than me. Still, it is revolting.

Duplode

Quote from: Shoegazing Leo on October 28, 2018, 11:14:50 PM
RIP Brazil. The fascists won...

A little over three years ago, I posted this:

Quote from: Duplode on August 16, 2015, 11:16:37 PM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on August 16, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
What's happening in Brazil? Duplode? Leo?

Economic downturn + corruption scandals + a politically weak and generally adrift government => demonstrators and sectors of the opposition (*) crying "Impeachment!". That has been the default state of affairs since January, so there is nothing to be too overtly worried about (**).

(*) I'd rather say overexcited demonstrators and sectors of agitators within the opposition, but that's my own political slant, and so YMMV.

(**) Of course the three things I listed at the beginning are quite worrying. I just mean we are not at the brink of an institutional crisis or anything really serious like that.

And look where we are now. That should teach me not to tempt fate...