News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

EA F1 2002

Started by CTG, December 21, 2006, 01:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Yep the third place driver usually crashes me from behind (starting from pole is obvious).

Chulk

Is it a matter if car setup or you just can't improve you're starting skills? It never happened to me
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Not exactly at the start but usually before the first corner. Maybe because I want to avoid overtake with the car's body. ;D

Chulk

So you switch off car damage to do some illegal moves... moves M. Schumacher did around 10 years ago...

CTG

Imagine a race with keyboard and with damage in Monaco. Surviving the first lap is a kind of magic.

Duplode

I could do that - in GP4, though (where handling feels rather more on the low sensibility side). Never got past ~15 laps anyway...

CTG

Usually I just give up Monaco, I don't like that. My marks to tracks (0-10):

10 - Interlagos (Brasil)
10 - Spa-Francochamps (Belgium)
9 - A1 Ring (Austria)
8 - Albert Park (Australia)
8 - Estoril (Portugal) - 1995 mod
8 - Indianapolis (United States)
8 - Aida (Japan) - 1995 mod
7 - Montreal (Canada)
7 - Silverstone (Great Britain)
7 - Buenos Aires (Argentina) - 1995 mod
7 - Imola (San Marino)
6 - Monza (Italy)
6 - Magny Cours (France)
5 - Hockenheim (Germany)
5 - Hungaroring (Hungary)
5 - Barcelona (Spain)
4 - N?rburgring (Germany)
4 - Suzuka (Japan)
4 - Sepang (Malaysia)
2 - Monte Carlo (Monaco)

Duplode

So here is my ranking, based on GP4. Order is loose, and I don't fancy numerical marks (after all, I sorta like most tracks).

A1 Ring FTW! (there is something special about it, don't know quite what)
Spa-Francorchamps (what to say... Malmedy-to-Fagnes stretch, split 2, is as fun to drive as the legendary parts)
Montreal (fast chicanes with inch-close walls - raw excitement!)
Magny-Cours (so little love for it... quite a number of unusual, technical corners for such a short track)

Hockenheimring (ancient layout rules... 8) )
Suzuka (Difficult and distinctive tracts, worth the effort)
Interlagos (a model for slow infield sections)
Nurburgring (pre-2002 layout, the rhythm used to be very nice before they put the damn slow first section and tightened the final chicane...)
Hungaroring (the karting feel can be a nice change of pace contrasted to  the other tracks - in a game, that is)

Silverstone (OK track, those fast round corners in split 1 remind me of IRC-Stunts...)
Imola (The Tosa-to-Acqua Minerale section, split 2, is lovely. Too bad new Tamburello/Villeneuve is that sterile...)
Monaco (can be fun when I'm in the mood)
Monza (Ascari/Parabolica is great, but oh how I *hate* the first chicane, it is so easy to get punished for shortcutting there...)
Indianapolis (Fine, but slightly bland other than the banking)

Albert Park (pseudo-street circuit, not my cup of tea)
Barcelona (talk about conventional...)
Sepang (damn complicated track, tires the hell off me)

Mislav

My favorites are

Spa
Suzuka
Sepang

Hm...all tracks with the "S"

But I don't like Silverstone all to much :)

zaqrack

because it has another S!  ;D

Last F1 game I player was Geoff Crammond's Microprose F1GP2, with the 2000 season patch.
The great thing was, that I played all tracks at full length, driving as many laps with my steering wheel, as the real drivers do. It was very exhausting and a lot of fun!

CTG

Quote from: CTG on September 20, 2007, 07:01:14 AM
Usually I just give up Monaco, I don't like that. My marks to tracks (0-10):

10 - Interlagos (Brasil)
10 - Spa-Francochamps (Belgium)
9 - A1 Ring (Austria)
8 - Albert Park (Australia)
8 - Estoril (Portugal) - 1995 mod
8 - Indianapolis (United States)
8 - Aida (Japan) - 1995 mod
7 - Montreal (Canada)
7 - Silverstone (Great Britain)
7 - Buenos Aires (Argentina) - 1995 mod
7 - Imola (San Marino)
6 - Monza (Italy)
6 - Magny Cours (France)
5 - Hockenheim (Germany)
5 - Hungaroring (Hungary)
5 - Barcelona (Spain)
4 - N?rburgring (Germany)
4 - Suzuka (Japan)
4 - Sepang (Malaysia)
2 - Monte Carlo (Monaco)

Some "new" tracks from racingsimulators website,

8 - Road America
7 - Watkins Glen
6 - Sachsenring
5 - Fiorano
4 - Zandvoort
4 - Assen
3 - Shanghai

Btw any experiences with F1 2011 (from Codemasters)? Is it worth to buy?

Duplode

I remember playing at Road America many years ago with an early '00s simulator called Sports Car GT, and indeed it was a very cool track.

Quote from: CTG on November 03, 2011, 12:59:49 PM
Btw any experiences with F1 2011 (from Codemasters)? Is it worth to buy?

Didn't try but would like to - getting hold of a steering wheel first would be needed, though.

Chulk

In my experience, Codemasters' games tend to be the best, but a force feedback steering wheel is imperative.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on November 04, 2011, 03:46:05 AM
Didn't try but would like to - getting hold of a steering wheel first would be needed, though.

After watching some YouTube videos about the game, it gave me nothing special or really new. Graphics was already quite good in 2002 - of course the new game seems to be ways better, but rather in small, not so interesting details. I think it gives only a minor extra in gameplay. Maybe the only interesting addition is the usage of KERS and DRS. Nevertheless I would like to try it once.

If I compare FIFA 2000 and 2009, the latter has worse gameplay.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on November 04, 2011, 10:07:43 AM
After watching some YouTube videos about the game, it gave me nothing special or really new. Graphics was already quite good in 2002 - of course the new game seems to be ways better, but rather in small, not so interesting details. I think it gives only a minor extra in gameplay. Maybe the only interesting addition is the usage of KERS and DRS. Nevertheless I would like to try it once.

Fair point - after all, a simulator is bound by the constraints of reality, and so with the current state of the art (that is, without things like serious virtual reality, etc.) I can't see anything important missing from games as old as Grand Prix 4 or Grand Prix Legends (the latter unfortunately is rather unplayable without a wheel, too...). The long interval without F1 games for PC (no releases between EA F1 Challenge '99-'02 and Codemasters' 2010 game!) left me a bit curious, though.

Quote from: CTG on November 04, 2011, 10:07:43 AM
If I compare FIFA 2000 and 2009, the latter has worse gameplay.

FIFA 2000! Had a lot of fun with that one, too. The ultimate classic, though, for me still is Fifa 98: Road to World Cup  :)