News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Krys TOFF

Oh, I'm not the only one having 2Go RAM. ;D

alanrotoi

Chulk

Well, we have answers in the poll, but nobody told in the topic. Mine is 1024
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

Quote from: Chulk on July 24, 2008, 03:46:34 AM
I have the same. My laptop can be maxed out at 1.5G, I'll most likely do that step soon, as windows eats a lot of ram compared to linux, and 1G is not enough in many cases.

Duplode

Conversely, Rotoi didn't add himself to the statistics... :) I'm currently running on 2GB.

Paleke

Ok, mine is 256.

Quote from: Duplode on July 23, 2008, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: zaqrack on July 23, 2008, 05:28:08 PM
the cheapest way to speed up your machine is to increase RAM amount.

Seconded, not only cheapest but the most convenient by far.

Well, yes but... my computer is old, so it's hard to find memory for it. In addition, I'm still looking for a job  and I'm planning to change the cabinet (I'm not sure if it is the correct translation) as soon as I start working again, so I don't see any reason to spend more money in this computer. :P
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.

Chulk

Anyone knows about a good Anti-virus? I use Nod32 with automatic update of virus database, but still I got some Trojans and Worms (not the game, well, I have the game but it was not the problem...) Has anyone tried Kasperski Anti-Virus? I read in numerous sites that Nod32 and KAV are the best combination, so I'm currently using those, but maybe you can give some feedback about AV techs. Thanks in advance.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk on August 05, 2008, 09:39:28 PM
Anyone knows about a good Anti-virus? I use Nod32 with automatic update of virus database, but still I got some Trojans and Worms (not the game, well, I have the game but it was not the problem...) Has anyone tried Kasperski Anti-Virus? I read in numerous sites that Nod32 and KAV are the best combination, so I'm currently using those, but maybe you can give some feedback about AV techs. Thanks in advance.
I use Avast. I tried before AVG and AntiVir but found Avast more efficient. This was 3 years ago so maybe AVG and AntiVir got better since then. these 3 antivurs are legally free, while Nod32 and Kapersky are not free.

As far as I know, the best ever anti-virus (not 100% efficient though, none of all antiviruses is) is BitDefender. There's also an online system for comouter analysis of BitDefender, search "bitdefender online analysis" with google and you should get a link to the analysis page with your own language (I got the French version of the page this way for an analysis recently made at one of my neighbour's computer that was infected).
BitDefender is not free but there's free version on their website, don't know exactly how different it is from not free version.

With Avast there's also a mail checker quite efficient (unlike the one of AVG I tested some years ago). It slows down the download of mails with Thunderbird (and with Outlook Express/Windows Mail too I suppose) but it's worth the try. I modified Avast default parameters to push higher the security, especially for web browsing and mailbox.

Another possibility to avoid viruses is to switch to Linux or MacOS. ;D

Chulk

OK, I'll give Avast a try if I have problems again. I found a Nod32 Fix to keep Nod32 virus database updated daily, and a key to update KAV, so they are usually updated. Anyone else has some suggestions? (I guess Duplode will give his opinion later, when he usually logs in)

Krys TOFF

Avast has an automatic update. Sometimes it updates each day, sometimes only once a week, and I happened exceptionnally that it did an update 3 time in 1 day. It's automatic, fast, simple and efficient.
Also, when I download a new program, I always use right click and select the analysis of the program before unpacking it and installing it. I even do it when it's just an e-book file as I got an alert from Avast once from a gif file that had a virus in it.

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on August 06, 2008, 12:02:08 AM
OK, I'll give Avast a try if I have problems again. I found a Nod32 Fix to keep Nod32 virus database updated daily, and a key to update KAV, so they are usually updated. Anyone else has some suggestions? (I guess Duplode will give his opinion later, when he usually logs in)

I recommend Avast too, for all reasons Krys mentioned: it's simple, unobtrusive, quiet, efficient and gratis... ;) It is definitively ahead of AVG by the way, particularly when it comes to unobtrusiveness.

Chulk

OK, so far, KAV didn't kill every virus and Nod32 didn't either. Next step is Avast.

Chulk

Intalled Avast! but the virus is still there. Maybe you have had it. I don't know exactly what it does, all I know is that it doesn't allow to see hidden files and it also prompts the 'open with...' window when trying to explore c: or d: from My PC icon...

Chulk

Finally! Virus eliminated (KAV beat Avast!) and reg-editing done. Now I can see hidden files but still couldn't find what I need to edit to explore my drives without having to select IE everytime...
About Avast!, how do I turn of the information window that appears every time I surf the net?

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk
Intalled Avast! but the virus is still there. Maybe you have had it. I don't know exactly what it does, all I know is that it doesn't allow to see hidden files and it also prompts the 'open with...' window when trying to explore c: or d: from My PC icon...
It seems the link to Windows Explorer is dead, or maybe the explorer.exe file has been corrupted and been put in quarantine by the antivirus.

Quote from: Chulk
Finally! Virus eliminated (KAV beat Avast!) and reg-editing done. Now I can see hidden files but still couldn't find what I need to edit to explore my drives without having to select IE everytime...
If you start Windows Explorer you can't browse your computer ?
Anyway, if you have XP or Vista, I can tell you that IE is now part of the "core" of the system. Windows Explorer (WE) uses IE engine, just the interface look is different. If IE works, WE shoud work too. Else, it means that WE file has been put in quarantine. File name of WE is "explorer.exe", default icon is in Start menu > Accessories > Explorer. I never use "My PC" icon, I put a link to Explorer on my quick launch section and always uses it directly.

Quote from: ChulkAbout Avast!, how do I turn of the information window that appears every time I surf the net?
I don't have that. Mmmm, maybe you should start main Avast interface (the one that looks a little like a music player) and click on the menu icon (top left of the rectangle), then browse the settings. Maybe you have a help option to unselect.