News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Chulk

Duplode, a friend of mine asked me about a good proxy site, with many proxies in it to use. I could only find www.proxy.org but he asked me for another one (wouldn't say what he was doing, told me that he had to kill me if I knew  ;)). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Well, I can't really assess technicaly if it would be good enough... but the only reasonable one I've seen is http://tools.rosinstrument.com/cgi-proxy.htm , which has a big list of randomly-chosen proxies (even if far smaller than proxy.org).

Chulk

Chulk

Krys or Dup, does any of you know how to make Radio Streaming work in FF? I just doesn't open. It works in IE but FF fails to open the streaming window.

Here is the link, hope you can help me, I don't want to use IE anymore for anything.

www.metro951.com/media.aspx

CTG

Money arrived to my account (finally!) so I start to check the offers of different stores. Question: which notebook brand do you trust in general?

Possibilities: Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu Siemens, HP-Compaq, MSI, Packard Bell, Toshiba.

I've heard some really annoying things about Fujitsu Siemens and I also try to avoid Acer - it's a great one but their service sucks.

zaqrack

Quote from: CTG on December 01, 2008, 12:22:32 PM
Possibilities: Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu Siemens, HP-Compaq, MSI, Packard Bell, Toshiba.

Preferred: Dell, Toshiba
Recommended: Asus, HP
Not recommended: Acer, MSI
Ignore: Fujitsu, Packard Bell

and if you take a good advice you don't go 17" :)

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on December 01, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
Preferred: Dell, Toshiba
Recommended: Asus, HP
Not recommended: Acer, MSI
Ignore: Fujitsu, Packard Bell

Thank you! Looking at the web and asking people about their impressions with these brands, I got quite a similar result.

Dell is the best in general according to the tests I read lately but they are quite expensive. One of the hostel PC operators also suggested that.

Toshiba sounds good too, not that expensive and my boss (using it 6-8 hours a day) also has an old Toshiba, working for ages (6 years) without any failures.

Asus... bit ambivalent feelings, I heard both good and bad things about that brand and one of my workmates has serious problems with a basic Asus model.

HP is a secret favorite (costs/quality ratio is good) although I hate their laser printers... :D

I liked my old Acer, it worked more or less without problems. Okay, battery sucked, charger "exploded" at the beginning and the plastic parts had really bad mechanic properties - but it survived some falls and once hot candle wax. :D But their service is shameful, it's hard to get reserve parts if something gets wrong.

MSI is too cheap compared to the written performance, it must be crappy.

Fujitsu Siemens is the worst brand I've heard about. Böbszlee has a basic Amilo computer, it's really weak...

Packard Bell... I don't know anybody using that.

+1 that I forgot to list: Lenovo ("IBM") must be good too but it's just a feeling - no real experience so far in the neighbourhood.

Most likely I'm going to choose Toshiba or HP. Maybe Lenovo.

Quote from: zaqrack on December 01, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
and if you take a good advice you don't go 17" :)

17" was really a bad idea - too heavy to travel with. :D

zaqrack

I had a HP which I got from my employer - it wasn't a bad machine after all, but didn't meet my quality standards, and more importantly it was too big and bulky after my tiny IBM so I asked them to let me use my own. But I can recommend it, their service is one of the best in Hungary.
My brother got a Fujitsu now from his employer, as he didn't want a screen bigger than 13,3" and this was the only cheap option. It's an Esprimo, which shows a lot of improvement from the previous Amilo series, but still, I wouldnt buy it for myself in any case. But if the company covers maintenance, who cares :)

Lenovo is not bad either if you can afford any of their ThinkPad line. The SL series Thinkpad is quite cheap. But for your use I'd opt for a HP (not the 5xx line) or a Toshiba. They are good. 

CTG

Hopefully my last question before buying a new computer: what about this mess with CPUs? I see several different processors with 2 cores: Dual Core, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, AMD Turion X2, AMD Athlon X2... I know that Core 2 Duo is the best but are the others a lot worse? Is the cache size so important? I heard that AMD "eats" the battery but it's not really a disadvantage for me: generally I don't use my notebook from battery.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: zaqrack
if you take a good advice you don't go 17" :)
Quote from: CTG
I heard that AMD "eats" the battery but it's not really a disadvantage for me: generally I don't use my notebook from battery.
17" screen size for notebook is also an issue about that : it reduces a lot the duration of use on battery only compared to 15" screen.

Regarding CPUs, I don't know. My standard PC is a AMD Athlon x2 and it works fine. ;)

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk on November 24, 2008, 05:47:51 PM
Krys or Dup, does any of you know how to make Radio Streaming work in FF? I just doesn't open. It works in IE but FF fails to open the streaming window.

Here is the link, hope you can help me, I don't want to use IE anymore for anything.

Good decision to stop using IE as much as possible. :)
Sorry for late reply, I see your message just now. Anyway, which version of FF are you using ? You probably need a plug-in.

Chulk

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 11, 2008, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Chulk on November 24, 2008, 05:47:51 PM

Good decision to stop using IE as much as possible. :)
Sorry for late reply, I see your message just now. Anyway, which version of FF are you using ? You probably need a plug-in.
I'm using FF3 but the problem is solved. I installed IE Tab to use only with this web site and nothing more

Krys TOFF

I'm still using FF2, I had some issues with FF3 with BATRacer website (FF3 gets frozen and I need to do CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually stop it).

Chulk

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 12, 2008, 09:50:50 AM
I'm still using FF2, I had some issues with FF3 with BATRacer website (FF3 gets frozen and I need to do CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually stop it).
I never had this problem, maybe your problem is related to something else...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk on December 12, 2008, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 12, 2008, 09:50:50 AM
I never had this problem, maybe your problem is related to something else...
Maybe. I know I have a big malware on my computer : its name is Windows Vista. :D :D :D