News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

CTG

Knowing myself (internet & game addict), the best solution is to delay buying a computer. The next week will be extremely busy (again ::)) - I can't afford to share my attention.

I think a 14" Dell Latitude will win (from another store), with about the same performance as the above mentioned ThinkPad's.

dreadnaut

If you can wait a few weeks, September should bring the new 4xxx series of CPUs, with more powerful integrated graphics and lower heat and battery consumption.

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 20, 2013, 11:18:47 AM
If you can wait a few weeks, September should bring the new 4xxx series of CPUs, with more powerful integrated graphics and lower heat and battery consumption.

And probably higher prices... :D

dreadnaut

Not necessarily, but that could also mean offers and sales on the old ones ;)

CTG

Quote from: CTG on August 20, 2013, 09:29:40 AM
I think a 14" Dell Latitude will win (from another store), with about the same performance as the above mentioned ThinkPad's.

I mean Vostro, 15.6"...

Screen: 15.6" WXGA HD-LED AntiGlare (matte) 1366x768 pixel
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Chipset: Intel® Mobile HM75 Express
RAM: 8 GB DDR3/1600 MHz (upgraded from 4 GB)
HDD: 500GB 5400RPM SATA
Graphic card: Intel® GMA HD 4000
Optical drive: 8x DVD+-RW DL drive
LAN: Gigabit LAN
WLAN: Dell Wireless 1703 (802.11b/g/n+ Bluetooth v4.0)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Audio: HD Audio
VGA port: yes
HDMI port: yes
Webcam: 1.0 MP HD
Card reader: 3in1 Card reader
USB port:   3db USB 2.0
Battery: 4400 mAh (Lithium-ion)
Weight: 2.36 kg
Size: 376 x 260 x 31.5-34.5 mm
Warranty: 36 months (+ 15 days pixel warranty)

http://www.notebook.hu/notebook/gyarto-szerint/dell-notebook/vostro-sorozat/dell-vostro-2520-150593.html

dreadnaut

Quote from: CTG on August 21, 2013, 02:18:27 AM
I mean Vostro, 15.6"...

Screen: 15.6" WXGA HD-LED AntiGlare (matte) 1366x768 pixel
Optical drive: 8x DVD+-RW DL drive
USB port:   3db USB 2.0
Warranty: 36 months (+ 15 days pixel warranty)

Windows 8 is going to be alright, you can disable most of the new stuff (even more in 8.1, free upgrade in October). Matte screens are lovely, and nice warranty too.

Doubts:
  • that resolution at 15.6" is a bit crappy; I'd drop to 4GB of ram for a better screen —you can add ram later, but changing the screen is a pain;
  • not even one usb-3 port? mmmh, smells of older motherboard, which is not good overall —I've seen at least one usb-3 port on laptops for about two years now;
  • cd/dvd? can't you reuse the one from your old laptop in a 5-10€ usb case?

zaqrack

Agree with Dreadnaut's comments with one addition: 4400mAH battery is only for emergencies.
The warranty should not be your driving force. You can easily and cheaply purchase a 3yr warranty extension for any notebook.

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 21, 2013, 10:50:08 AM
Doubts:
  • that resolution at 15.6" is a bit crappy; I'd drop to 4GB of ram for a better screen —you can add ram later, but changing the screen is a pain;
  • not even one usb-3 port? mmmh, smells of older motherboard, which is not good overall —I've seen at least one usb-3 port on laptops for about two years now;
  • cd/dvd? can't you reuse the one from your old laptop in a 5-10€ usb case?
Screen: 1366x768 is absolutely good for me, as I don't watch movies on my computer (the former one was 1280x800 with the same screen size). Btw I tried a 14" notebook and it seemed to be too small for me.
USB: used mainly for uploading photos from camera (once a month or so) or up-/downloading documents from/to pendrive; no big data transfer
CD/DVD: this one is built-in, I would never buy an external optical drive.

Quote from: zaqrack on August 21, 2013, 11:57:41 AM
4400mAH battery is only for emergencies.

Probably I won't ever use this computer on a train/plane/etc., only at home or in the office. And knowing the average operation time of my computers, any battery would break down in a year.

Warranty: extensions were also calculated in the price. My goal was to find a decent, non-entry level i5 computer under 200,000 HUF (with OS and 3 / 2+1 / 1+2 years warranty). The other option was a HP ProBook - but no more HP, thanks (the problematic desktop computer + screen in the office are also from Hewlett-Packard)

+: not so bad CPU (not the 3317/3337 models), lack of numeric keyboard, simple design, good brand (it's a quality jump after Acer TravelMate and HP Compaq), middleweight body
-: Intel HD4000, Windows 8

zaqrack

the resolution is quite irrevelant for movies.
If you need to open two word docs or one word + excel at the same time, you'll have issues with a small resolution.

All in all, the Vostro is not bad choice for your needs.

My workhorse is a ProBook 4230s, recently turned 2 years old. It is amazing how much it endures but I would not buy it for myself. Lacks style :)

CTG

Testing...

Creating a new partition under Windows 8 is annoying. Thanks to the pre-installed OS, I can't make C: smaller than 236 GB - and can't give D: to the new partition (because it would skid up the DVD-ROM link, according to the warning message).

The OS itself is weird, but it's not that hard to handle - said the beginner, after 40 minutes active usage (too optimistic... expecting some annoying bugs).

dreadnaut

Change the letter of the dvd drive first, then you can use D: for what you prefer.

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 23, 2013, 03:23:00 PM
Change the letter of the dvd drive first, then you can use D: for what you prefer.

Quote from: CTG on August 22, 2013, 11:04:53 PM
it would skid up the DVD-ROM link, according to the warning message

So the system warning can be ignored. Well, let's give a try. Renaming DVD to F:, renaming the current E: partition (files from the old computer) to D:, renaming DVD to E:... sounds funny.

dreadnaut

Quote from: CTG on August 23, 2013, 03:31:24 PM
So the system warning can be ignored.

As all warnings, as long as one knows what he's doing. It always appears, makes more sense for disc drives where you might have installed stuff: changing those letters would definitely screw up something.

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 23, 2013, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: CTG on August 23, 2013, 03:31:24 PM
So the system warning can be ignored.

As all warnings, as long as one knows what he's doing. It always appears, makes more sense for disc drives where you might have installed stuff: changing those letters would definitely screw up something.

Every installed programs are on C: (OS), therefore it should not mean a real problem. Too bad, yesterday evening I had no energy to switch on the computer.

CTG

It's time to give a try to OpenOffice - as long as I don't have a legal MS Office 2010 or 2013.