News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

CTG

Do you know any possibilities to mirror the display of the computer horizontally? I would like to see this:

dreadnaut

There was a program called pcvmirror but it's not available anymore. Here there a partial solution, which I haven't tried though.

Wouldn't be easier to put an actual mirror next to your screen? But then, wouldn't you need to remap your driving keys as well?

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on December 06, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
Wouldn't be easier to put an actual mirror next to your screen? But then, wouldn't you need to remap your driving keys as well?

It's simply not the same... :-\ (key mapping was already changed, I tried it once for fun)

CTG

Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 made my computer extremely slow (HDD usage is often at 100%, booting time increased from ~10-15 seconds to ~60-90, "hibernation" option doesn't work, sometimes I can't switch off the system, etc.)... fvck Microsoft! >:(

Is it time to reset the system and forget 8.1 forever?

alanrotoi

The system should be called "Losedows" instead of "windows" :D

CTG

Bye-bye XP... (probably the best OS ever made by Microsoft)

CTG

Any idea how to avoid "javascript:void(0)" error? Pop-up blockers are already switched off on my computer, but I still can't enter a certain site (since Sunday, neither with Chrome, nor with Firefox).

alanrotoi

Not exactly about computer but technology. Today at 18hs GMT -3 will launch the first 100% Argentinian telecommunications satellite. I feel it's a very important event. Argentina will be the 8th country/union with this capacity and apart from USA the only in America. I can't wait to watch the transmission :D.

ARSAT-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARSAT-1

CTG

Quote from: CTG on January 20, 2014, 07:57:02 AM
Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 made my computer extremely slow (HDD usage is often at 100%, booting time increased from ~10-15 seconds to ~60-90, "hibernation" option doesn't work, sometimes I can't switch off the system, etc.)... fvck Microsoft! >:(

Is it time to reset the system and forget 8.1 forever?

My computer slowed down in the last two weeks: 1 minute booting, then ~10 minutes until Windows gets stable (task manager says the HDD is running at 100%) and when it's over, all the applications and website loading are still fuckin' slow. Meanwhile the webcam went wrong and the DVD-ROM is clattering time to time (without disc). I tried to refresh the drivers, but it became even worse.

Background: it started with the latest bigger Windows Update.

It seems I have to re-install Windows 8 (although it would be better to downgrade to Win7, it's a lot more stable system - but unfortunately it's not an option). If it doesn't help, it might be a motherboard issue. Usually I skid up my computers with overheating. ::)

zaqrack

I kind of like Win8.1 Took time to adapt but works very nice.
If you do not yet have an SSD, make the switch. Day and night.

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on January 29, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
I kind of like Win8.1 Took time to adapt but works very nice.

Good for you. I find the Win8 family really annoying, even after 1.5 years.

Quote from: zaqrack on January 29, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
If you do not yet have an SSD, make the switch. Day and night.

Good idea, but... As far as I know, changing the original parts would invalidate the warranty.

Btw the webcam issue seems to be a hardware error, probably a contact disorder. However, I'll try to re-install the OS first, at least to speed up the system.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I still use Windows XP and I'm sad because I can't use Win98...
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on January 30, 2015, 10:56:20 AM
I still use Windows XP and I'm sad because I can't use Win98...

My old notebook also has a (pure, update free) Windows XP SP2 - without internet connection, just for playing old games. :D

And yes, Win98 was fun - it was compatible with Network Q Rally (probably the best rally game I've ever played).

Duplode

After months of procrastination, I have finally set up a Linux on dual boot on my new(ish) laptop. While configuring Arch last night, I almost lost patience and switched to something else, but I stuck with it in the end -- and I guess I'll be glad for it later on.

(By the way, this does increase the likelihood of progress on my Stunts projects, as the path is now clear for me to restore backups and set up a sane programming environment.)

CTG

Quote from: CTG on August 21, 2013, 02:18:27 AM
Quote from: CTG on August 20, 2013, 09:29:40 AM
I think a 14" Dell Latitude will win (from another store), with about the same performance as the above mentioned ThinkPad's.

I mean Vostro, 15.6"...

Screen: 15.6" WXGA HD-LED AntiGlare (matte) 1366x768 pixel
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Chipset: Intel® Mobile HM75 Express
RAM: 8 GB DDR3/1600 MHz (upgraded from 4 GB)
HDD: 500GB 5400RPM SATA
Graphic card: Intel® GMA HD 4000
Optical drive: 8x DVD+-RW DL drive
LAN: Gigabit LAN
WLAN: Dell Wireless 1703 (802.11b/g/n+ Bluetooth v4.0)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Audio: HD Audio
VGA port: yes
HDMI port: yes
Webcam: 1.0 MP HD
Card reader: 3in1 Card reader
USB port:   3db USB 2.0
Battery: 4400 mAh (Lithium-ion)
Weight: 2.36 kg
Size: 376 x 260 x 31.5-34.5 mm
Warranty: 36 months (+ 15 days pixel warranty)

http://www.notebook.hu/notebook/gyarto-szerint/dell-notebook/vostro-sorozat/dell-vostro-2520-150593.html

The good old (naaah... only old) Vostro is almost dead. I'm hunting again.

Since I don't use it for video editing or playing new games (maybe only the online GEOFS flight simulator), video card is not an issue. Even an integrated Intel UHD is fine.

Requirements: 15.6" matte (preferably) IPS screen, no aggressive PWM, Intel i5/i7 (8/9/10th generation) or AMD Ryzen 5/7 CPU, 8 GB DDR4 RAM (with the possibility of adding 4-8 GB later), 256 or 512 GB SSD. Battery life is not an issue either. Unfortunately numpad cannot be avoided in this size class.

Candidates:

Dell Vostro 5590: https://www.notebook.hu/dell-vostro-15-5590-n5104vn5590emea01-2005-hom-275078
+: it's a Dell, not a Chinese sh*t to the core (although the manufacturing site of Dell is in China, too); upgradable RAM (up to 24 GB); only high-frequency PWM; quite positive verdict by laptopmedia; 3 years warranty
-: integrated GPU, even this basic model is expensive

Lenovo IdeaPad S540: https://www.laptop.hu/lenovo-s540-15iwl-81ne0041hv-blue-w10-o365
+: dedicated NVidia GPU, 1 TB HDD
-: Chinese sh*t to the core; only 128 GB SSD, max. 12 GB RAM; PWM might be a problem (depending on the screen type, notebookcheck and laptopmedia published controversial measurements); annoying high-frequency fans; only 2 years warranty

Asus VivoBook S530: https://www.notebook.hu/asus-vivobook-s15-s530fn-bq435t
+: dedicated NVidia GPU, no PWM, upgradability
-: strange keyboard, available colors are ugly (designed for women? :D), loud fans, only 2 years warranty