News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Where's Otto's track?

Started by CTG, October 21, 2002, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

There are 5 tracks called the same name like auto opponents, but I miss Otto Partz's track... Would anybody be so kind as to design Otto's?  :wink:

BonzaiJoe

Many have already designed a track with that name I think. ManOnMoon designed a classic called Ottos. It was a 25-way track if I remember right... so nostalgic...
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

There is the official Otto's track in FM Towns version of the game, I'll create the DOS version of it and publish it here. ;)

zaqrack

Quote from: Krys TOFF on January 24, 2008, 05:31:09 PM
There is the official Otto's track in FM Towns version of the game, I'll create the DOS version of it and publish it here. ;)

It will sure be the most boring stunts track ever :)

Duplode

Will we have a permanent competition in it, Zak?  :D

Krys TOFF

.TRK format is just the same as in DOS Stunts, so I just had to copy the track instead of re-making it.
Track name is HERROTTO.TRK, and Otto with indy performs it in around 5 minutes.
It seems this track is boring, yes. Too flat, no stunt element, only a few banked corners and some dirt part. But, at least, this is the kind of track Otto can finish ! :D

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on January 24, 2008, 11:39:59 PM
Will we have a permanent competition in it, Zak?  :D

sure, but I wish to rewrite the permanent competition uploading system first to be automatic... please be patient.

CTG

Oh finally! I sent Skid's Closed record about a year ago in e-mail and it's still not on the table.

Krys TOFF

This is strange : Otto's track is recognized by Stunts (DOS), but Track Blaster refuse to open it because it is not at the correct size (1808 bytes instead of 1802). This is the same for all FM Towns official tracks, except for Default which is the proper size. But when running Stunts, these tracks are all recognized and playable. Why TB is so restrictive ? What is there in the 6 additionnal bytes ?

edit : same issue with Jonas Baehr's online trackviewer (http://www.jonas-baehr.de/stunts/index.php)... :-\

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: CTG on January 25, 2008, 10:25:15 AM
Oh finally! I sent Skid's Closed record about a year ago in e-mail and it's still not on the table.

Is it better than Renato Biker's 1.27.05 (ISA rules)?

CTG

Whooops... :D Gotta re-drive it.

Heeeeey, it's still you leading Skid's Closed (at least ZSC Permanent Competition tables show that).

BonzaiJoe

Yes, but Renato apparently sent this just after it stopped being updated...

CTG

then b?ff into Renato Biker's face... ;D

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on January 25, 2008, 11:02:37 AM
This is strange : Otto's track is recognized by Stunts (DOS), but Track Blaster refuse to open it because it is not at the correct size (1808 bytes instead of 1802). This is the same for all FM Towns official tracks, except for Default which is the proper size. But when running Stunts, these tracks are all recognized and playable. Why TB is so restrictive ? What is there in the 6 additionnal bytes ?

edit : same issue with Jonas Baehr's online trackviewer (http://www.jonas-baehr.de/stunts/index.php)... :-\

Well, I checked out the hex codes in vi and indeed that stuff is really odd. Re-saving the track under BB 1.1 gives a 1802-byte, otherwise identical, track. The only difference between the files is the ending: the '1802' file has a '0a' value at the last address (x709h), while the '1808' has six additional '00's before the final '0a' (x710h). Changing any of those zeroes to something else has no effect over the track, and indeed, changing any final '0a' of any track (even the normal version ones) has no effect at all, except another '0a' will be appended after the changed value! Now why the developers included functionless trailing bytes on the track format is a nice question...

And about TB, that restriction is sure a little strange, provided the program might just as well read the "initial" 1801-byte string and be fine with that - Nailwood probably was worried about smaller files causing hard crashes, and ended up restricting both smaller and larger. What I *really* can't understand is why when one tries to load the Audi (or the Coconut) on CB via the F3 menu the program complains "The size of st????.p3s is larger than 7000 bytes!". What that has to do with anything at all?? (fortunately, the restriction is only applied F3 menu, and the cars are accesible via F9/F10 at the edition screen)

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on January 25, 2008, 12:43:03 PM
Quote from: CTG on January 25, 2008, 10:25:15 AM

Is it better than Renato Biker's 1.27.05 (ISA rules)?

Honestly? I'm almost there... :D