News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT 79

Started by CTG, August 08, 2007, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Quote from: Simon82 on December 19, 2007, 04:54:03 PM
well, we could let some trick allowed going for ex. on the grass only to correct direction and re-enter on the track. I think that the real track is excellent for competition. Going through the grass directly to the arrive is not fun. 

I used to agree with that before joining the competitions (about eight months ago), but after a few races I realized tricks and shortcuts can create a whole new way of playing, with endless possibilites for both drivers and track designers, and many times increased challenge as well (just dig some older winning replays of this competition and try to believe them! ;)). Nevertheless, I still find one-wheel-on-or-over-the-track competitions like WSC pretty fun as a more realistic challenge - maybe you really should try it for a start... :)

And by the way, if you're wondering, the claimed record on default without shortcuts, pausing or rewinding  is 1:00.50 (check this thread for the discussion). As for me, my last semi-serious try was still around 1:05... :)

And of course, welcome!

Simon82

Quote from: Duplode on December 19, 2007, 05:18:26 PM
Quote from: Simon82 on December 19, 2007, 04:54:03 PM
well, we could let some trick allowed going for ex. on the grass only to correct direction and re-enter on the track. I think that the real track is excellent for competition. Going through the grass directly to the arrive is not fun. 

I used to agree with that before joining the competitions (about eight months ago), but after a few races I realized tricks and shortcuts can create a whole new way of playing, with endless possibilites for both drivers and track designers, and many times increased challenge as well (just dig some older winning replays of this competition and try to believe them! ;)). Nevertheless, I still find one-wheel-on-or-over-the-track competitions like WSC pretty fun as a more realistic challenge - maybe you really should try it for a start... :)

And by the way, if you're wondering, the claimed record on default without shortcuts, pausing or rewinding  is 1:00.50 (check this thread for the discussion). As for me, my last semi-serious try was still around 1:05... :)

And of course, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome... I've to excercise with trick and try... :)

That time surely rock man!

Duplode

Quote from: Simon82 on December 19, 2007, 09:00:24 PM

Nice! And BTW, if you'd prefer to begin with a less luck dependant (albeit significantly less efficient) way of reaching power gear, consider using that l/r corkscrew... ;)

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on December 19, 2007, 11:23:56 PM
Nice! And BTW, if you'd prefer to begin with a less luck dependant (albeit significantly less efficient) way of reaching power gear, consider using that l/r corkscrew... ;)
Hello Simon82 and welcome. It's good to see a new member so active in the forum! BTW, take Duplode's advice, he's one of the best right now. ;)
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Simon82

Quote from: Chulk on December 19, 2007, 11:27:51 PM

Quote from: Duplode on December 19, 2007, 11:23:56 PM
Hello Simon82 and welcome. It's good to see a new member so active in the forum! BTW, take Duplode's advice, he's one of the best right now. ;)
Eh eh, you should know my 13 years ago... in that time I play Stunts almost every days and nights..  ;D

Honestly now one problem is that I don't find very accurated the emulation through Dosbox, I remember that the speed of the response when you turn left or right the car was a little higher in a native Dos environment.

BonzaiJoe

You can play it from Windows though...
But we can't be quite sure.

Simon82

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on December 20, 2007, 10:55:42 AM
I wont to appear paranoic (;D) but even in Windows Xp emulation there's something that is different in the general feeling of the gameplay that is wrong. I feel it immediately when you play... I'm the only? Try well and maybe you'll feel it.

zaqrack

winxp emulation sucked for me.
my dosbox.conf, try yours with similar settings (as I know you can use linux config files under win dosbox too:

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.72.
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c: /home/zaqrack/Stunts
c:
stunts_k

Krys TOFF

Quote from: zaqrack

c:

Just think to replace this part by your own pathway to Stunts. ;)

Simon82

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 20, 2007, 11:49:14 AM
Quote from: zaqrack

c:

Just think to replace this part by your own pathway to Stunts. ;)

Obvioulsy..  ;D

Chulk

What are your CPU caracteristics? Maybe someone with a similar system can help you.

Simon82

Quote from: Chulk on December 20, 2007, 02:58:30 PM
What are your CPU caracteristics? Maybe someone with a similar system can help you.

The Mac Mini intel has got a Intel Core duo cpu at 1,66Ghz. I see cpu usage from 2 to 10% maximun, I don't think it's a cpu issue. I think it's somethin related to dosbox itself. Others game give me the feeling that something is wrong... I'm talking about a FEELING difficult to proof and explain but I'm sure I'm right.

Chulk

We all know what you feel, but we just got used to that minimum thing you feel, as nobody has a perfect DOS like playing. I just wanted to know about CPU, not because of usage but for the configuration. Your CPU is faster than mine, so my settings probably won't help you. I can give them to you if you want to give it a try. Just ask me for them.

Simon82

Quote from: Chulk on December 20, 2007, 08:05:41 PM
We all know what you feel, but we just got used to that minimum thing you feel, as nobody has a perfect DOS like playing. I just wanted to know about CPU, not because of usage but for the configuration. Your CPU is faster than mine, so my settings probably won't help you. I can give them to you if you want to give it a try. Just ask me for them.
I think is something related to a "layer" inserted between the input commands one and the game engine itself and dosbox even if a system is powerful indeed insert a additional layer emulating a entire environment.
I've tried with laptop booting to dos and play and surely is another thing. Even the sound is better on pc speaker.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Simon82 on December 20, 2007, 11:23:20 AM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on December 20, 2007, 10:55:42 AM
I wont to appear paranoic (;D) but even in Windows Xp emulation there's something that is different in the general feeling of the gameplay that is wrong. I feel it immediately when you play... I'm the only? Try well and maybe you'll feel it.

You're not the only one. There is a delay of about 0.3 seconds every time you push a button. But you get used to it... I've been racing on XP for the last 2.5 years.
But we can't be quite sure.