News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts Installer v.0.1

Started by Duplode, August 25, 2007, 01:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Since I discovered, just after joining the community, that VDMSound stole 10% of Stunts' speed in my PC for quite a few years, I've been wondering about ways to make usage of Stunts setting up and usage in a modern machine as simple and unobtrusive as possible, and how much of help it could be to potential newcomers. A  very simple idea would be to pick a Stunts folder, then grab DOSBox and some good frontend and wrap everything into a neat Nullsoft Installer (nsis.sourceforge.net). Yesterday I was able to give the concept a try, and produced a crude, very ad hoc installer, comprising ZakStunts non-boot CD package and DBGL frontend 0.60RC2 (taken from http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl), which conveniently already comes with DOSBox 0.71 integrated (all I had to add were the movie codecs for SDR-like stuff).

Being an image worth a thousand words, below are some attached screenshots. Discuss at will, and PM me if you have interest on seeing the test version live (webmasters welcome!) ...

CTG

zaqrack

very much useful indeed!

We should perhaps update the competition tracks in the ZS CD archive to a current state, and release it with this project.

Mark L. Rivers

Really a good project, well done Duplode!  :)

Krys TOFF

Duplode

Toyed a little with visuals today. Here is what could be a cute opening screen:

With the "Modern UI", a custom header would look like this:

There seems to be no way to change the window background from grey to something else under said UI. That propmted a test with so-called "UltraModern UI" - that conveniently offers a green background, which is quite a bit cleaner:

Later I'll look for a way to get rid of that questionable pink font...

Paleke

It looks cool anyway ;D  I'll try it later, perhaps I can make DOSBox work reasonable this time.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.