News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Profession

Started by CTG, September 10, 2007, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

That's good. You don't need a car in Copenhagen. 99,5% of Copenhagen is not full of criminals after 11pm, so you'll be safe there.

About financing: 1. my flat isn't as expensive as it should be, considering its geographical position and its size, because it's a special arrangement ( :-X. Nothing to do with the mafia, or with my parents.) 2. In Denmark, welfare payments for all unemployed people are stable and reasonably high. When you're newly graduated or newly laid off, the payments are actually at a level which is higher than what I suppose you'd get for a low-wage job in Germany (but lower than for any full-time job in Denmark). So you don't have to live on the street just because you don't have a job.
But we can't be quite sure.

Argammon

I hope you find a job soon though. Should be possible considering your education and abilities!

I am sure I don't need my car. However, I like it. Which makes it a bit difficult.  ;D

Edit: I figure it is not possible to get more "special arrangements", right?  ;)

zaqrack

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on December 16, 2012, 01:22:10 PM
No, I still don't have a job - apparently the few jobs available here are given to Germans  :P

:D :D :D

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Argammon on December 16, 2012, 11:58:32 PM
I hope you find a job soon though. Should be possible considering your education and abilities!

Thanks!

I am sure I don't need my car. However, I like it. Which makes it a bit difficult.  ;D

My former flatmate who also moved here from Germany says the same. I convinced her not to bring her car along, and she says she agrees it's not needed in Copenhagen, but she misses driving... Anyway, it's up to you. As far as I understand, parking is troublesome but possible.

Edit: I figure it is not possible to get more "special arrangements", right?  ;)

Definitely not these special arrangements.

Argammon

My former flatmate who also moved here from Germany says the same. I convinced her not to bring her car along, and she says she agrees it's not needed in Copenhagen, but she misses driving... Anyway, it's up to you. As far as I understand, parking is troublesome but possible.

It is not up to me as I can't afford that insane tax!  :(

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on December 19, 2012, 07:18:36 PM
Definitely not these special arrangements.
Sounds like you're doing the house owner...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

BonzaiJoe

CTG

I hope the owner is a woman.

zaqrack

Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 07:42:37 PM

It is not up to me as I can't afford that insane tax!  :(

At least you have the freedom to decide bringing your car. No used cars outside from China are allowed in China. Not even temporarily.
Not that I have a car or would want to bring it to China. Public transport is great, taxi is cheap. :)

Argammon

I know many who don't own a car. I, however, don't like public transportation that much. It's a matter of lifestyle.

Taxi's may be an exception though. However, it is not affordable to use them on a regular basis in western Europe.

Argammon

Btw, Zak, I think you are in an excellent position in China. At least if you get a salary on "western European level" which I am confident you get.

Living expenses in China are so low that you can do so much more with your money.

CTG

I don't understand people with such mammonist thinking. Why don't you tell us something about your motivation? Why are you interested in a foreign job? Was there any other reason to apply there? Do you find it exciting?

For me, money is not that important - I would rather choose a place full of challenge and potential success, where you can fight for respect and glory with your pure skills. If you can keep up a satisfactory life style from your salary and you can even spare the half of that every month, you mustn't look for another one with more money. When I was a researcher (before the last year horror), I got some offers from other pharmaceutical companies - one of them is known for the outstanding salaries (at the time 50-70% higher than mine) and the disgusting policy. I stayed...

Argammon

I only wrote that I like the freedom I have driving a car. I do not see how that is mammonistic.

I also don't understand "other reason to apply there". Other than what exactly? All I wrote is that I will not own a car anymore. I did not even claim that I would earn more. I really don't see your point.

Somehow I have the feeling that I can write whatever I want and you are always trying to make it sound negative.  :(

zaqrack

Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 10:48:56 PM
Btw, Zak, I think you are in an excellent position in China. At least if you get a salary on "western European level" which I am confident you get.

Living expenses in China are so low that you can do so much more with your money.

It's a mixed story, if we include all benefits and consider my whole expat package, I am on a fair western-EU level, if we don't include these items, it's a fair local Shanghai salary for my position, nothing more. Anyway, I don't complain, it's an investment, a lot of challenge, fun, and I still I can spare much more than I could back home.

I don't agree with your statement on living expenses. China in second/third tier cities may be cheap, but Shanghai is pretty expensive, on par with most major European capitals. E.g. our apartment rent is 1000+EUR/month, kindergarten only slightly less. Any proper leisure option is more expensive than back home, e.g. cinema, sports, etc. 
On the other side, transport, utility fees, services and food price is decent unless you want to eat luxury products such as non-sweet bread, milk without plastic additives or cheese :)  And of course I pay much less taxes than anywhere in the EU but also won't get any pension for the time I work in China. 

I know a great comparison site on living expenses:
Shanghai vs Copenhagen:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&country2=Denmark&city1=Shanghai&city2=Copenhagen
Shanghai vs. Budapest:   
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=China&country2=Hungary&city1=Shanghai&city2=Budapest

you can see that overall cost of living is much higher in Shanghai than in Budapest. Shanghai is more-or-less on par with Berlin. Of course none can compete with Copenhagen :)