News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Profession

Started by CTG, September 10, 2007, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argammon

Thanks for the information Zak. Of course you know China a lot better than I do.  :)

I can imagine that it is a great adventure to live in a total different culture (wrong again?).

zaqrack

Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 11:50:01 PM
Thanks for the information Zak. Of course you know China a lot better than I do.  :)

I can imagine that it is a great adventure to live in a total different culture (wrong again?).

most welcome. :)

It is mostly positive in the majority of time and in my opinion has more benefits than drawbacks. 
Speaking the language helps a great deal avoiding the expat bubble filled with stressed foreigners on the constant verge of a nervous breakdown :)

anyway, Copenhagen is one of the best places I could imagine to live. You should take the offer. Which makes me wonder whether Copenhagen will take the World Stunts Capital title?
Bonzai Joe, Argammon, SuperBrian?, Dinmor?, ManonMoon? and Sampi. 

CTG

Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 11:40:10 PM
I only wrote that I like the freedom I have driving a car. I do not see how that is mammonistic.

Not the car issue. But what do you start with (think on the Forum talk)? Money. What do you talk about fluently? Money. And remember our conversations few years ago: you were always interested how low is my salary at PhD school. I won't look for the log files unless you really want to see it (but I guess you remember that).

Before you misunderstand it, I don't want to charge you - I'm only interested in the more important details about your career motivations and your choice.

Quote from: Argammon on December 16, 2012, 01:30:12 PM
And: Which areas are nice and would be a good choice for someone with a decent income;)

Quote from: Argammon on December 16, 2012, 11:03:49 PM
May I ask how you finance your flat considering housing is very expensive and you don't have a job?

Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 10:48:56 PM
Btw, Zak, I think you are in an excellent position in China. At least if you get a salary on "western European level" which I am confident you get.

Living expenses in China are so low that you can do so much more with your money.

Argammon

About Copenhagen:

Pro: - I have friends and relatives in Malmö and Göteborg.
        - People seem to be friendly and life seems to be more relaxed
        - Job is more challenging and definitely a step up. I would also get more money which is, however, mitigated by higher living expenses.
        - I had many "business trips" and decided I want to experience some other places than Germany. Experience etc.
        - Experience abroad does not hurt should I decide to return to Germany at some point
        - Improve my Scandinavian (and English) language skills

Cons: - When I was there it was COLD  :o
          - No car anymore. (mine is customized a bit so it hurts)  ;D 

That is what I can think of right now. I am sure I forgot a lot.  :)

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: zaqrack on December 19, 2012, 11:59:42 PM
Quote from: Argammon on December 19, 2012, 11:50:01 PM

most welcome. :)

It is mostly positive in the majority of time and in my opinion has more benefits than drawbacks. 
Speaking the language helps a great deal avoiding the expat bubble filled with stressed foreigners on the constant verge of a nervous breakdown :)

anyway, Copenhagen is one of the best places I could imagine to live. You should take the offer. Which makes me wonder whether Copenhagen will take the World Stunts Capital title?
Bonzai Joe, Argammon, SuperBrian?, Dinmor?, ManonMoon? and Sampi.

That is a nice and varied collection of pipsqueaks. ManOnMoon is currently living in London, where he is an investment banker, working about 168 hours per week, earning truckloads of money and having no time to spend it.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: Argammon on December 20, 2012, 12:10:15 AM
          - No car anymore. (mine is customized a bit so it hurts)  ;D 

Hexeditor? :P

Argammon

CTG:

I will - definitely- not start another argument with you. If you don't like what I write (about) just ignore me and communicate with other people. I will do the same.

BTW: Good job finding a picture of my car.  ;D

CTG

Quote from: Argammon on December 20, 2012, 12:18:39 AM
I will - definitely- not start another argument with you. If you don't like what I write (about) just ignore me and communicate with other people. I will do the same.

As far as I see you answered my questions. Why to argue with that? :D

Chulk

Just keeping Shanghai as it was used in both previous comparisons...
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Argentina&country2=China&city1=Buenos+Aires&city2=Shanghai

You would need around 20,977.61¥ (16,480.25ARS) in Shanghai to maintain
the same standard of life that you can have with 14,000.00ARS in Buenos Aires
(assuming you rent in both cities).
This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Argammon

I know that site and am a bit surprised about the basket of goods they use. For example there are no electronic articles like smart phones or notebooks. Neither are there computer games, movies etc. 

CTG

BJ: could you find another job?

BonzaiJoe

Nope. I'm working on it and maybe getting places, but still no job.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on March 06, 2013, 08:45:11 PM
Nope. I'm working on it and maybe getting places, but still no job.

:-\

It sounds so strange. I thought it will be an easy task to find a decent job with your skills.

BonzaiJoe

Well, the general job situation for young people here is really crappy, and my degree is hardly of the most useful sort.

Chulk

Not to mention BJ tries to stay away from a 9-5 existence
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)