News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Yay! 1:13:15 on default. Good enough for a starter???

Started by The One With Hair, October 14, 2007, 06:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The One With Hair

Yeah. For the 132165412318th time trying to kill my previous record (1:18:60) I made it. but this stupid here did not saved the replay and just got a screen shot with the records. Anyway, do you think that 1:13:15 is a good timelap for a starter? (5th week playing stunts)
Stunts is not a game, is a way of life!

BonzaiJoe

Well I don't know how much you've been playing during those weeks, but it's a fine time if you haven't played that much...  Don't be happy with it though! It can be done much much faster.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Krys TOFF

Don't get angry at CTG, The One With Hair, it seems he forgot how slow he was when he started to play Stunts. Even girls were faster than him. ;D
1'13 is a good start, keep it up and you'll be faster.
Best way to improve is to join active competitions of course. ;)

Duplode

Pretty good for a start - keep the confidence and aim farther, as Krys well put...

And BTW, seja bem-vindo!  ;)

The One With Hair

Krys, nah, i didn't got angry on CTG.

"Even girls were faster than him" there are some girls here in my city that play stunts... one of them scored 1:02:13 on default

Thanks for the welcome, Duplode

wheeee!!!! 1:10:05. I just gotta find a way to hit the 35 seconds or so....
][/font]
Stunts is not a game, is a way of life!

Mark L. Rivers

A bit late but, welcome "The one with air"!

1'10" begins to become quite interesting for a pure newbie (6 weeks of Stunts) as you really are. So, come on, go on and improve again. And we hope to see you soon on a scoreboard of an active contest!  ;)

PS
35" on Deafult track???? ??? Well, you could be content to reach 40", for the moment...  ;)

BonzaiJoe

35 is the record :-)

With cheat cars: 21 seconds...

1.02.13 ? Do you mean 1.02.15? A girl did that?? Tell her to come here and race with us, right now.

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 21, 2007, 10:40:46 AM
35 is the record :-)

I tried to catch the powergear very soon, landing between the barriers, but I didn't succeed yet, so for the moment I must be content of my 39"45 realized last May...  ;)

http://stunts.mine.nu/zakstunts/index.php?page=permanent&menu=full

zaqrack

Quote from: The One With Hair on October 21, 2007, 01:50:30 AM
there are some girls here in my city that play stunts... one of them scored 1:02:13 on default

oh damn, I moving there, moving there at once  ;D. But where exactly???:))

CTG

Quote from: The One With Hair on October 21, 2007, 01:50:30 AM
there are some girls here in my city that play stunts... one of them scored 1:02:13 on default

With Lada Niva, I guess. 1:02.13 is impossible. Maybe .10 or .15...

BonzaiJoe

It's just funny how Default has evolved for me. In 1995, my brother had driven 1.12.00 and that was an impossible unbeatable time. He had been competing with his friend all night and set that high score. When I set the school record that year at 1.11.95, I was extremely proud. Then after a year or so, in 1996, I did the incredibly, unbelievable 1.09.70. For a long time, that was the record, and from that time on, my big brother admitted that I was better at Stunts than him. I remembered having once spoken to a guy who said he had done 1.08 on Default and being completely sure that he was lying. Such a time would simply be impossible. By doing 1.09.70, I had pushed everything to the limit. Then came some years of absence from Stunts, and it was only when I started playing it against my friend in 2000 that another development happened. We had some fierce fights on a lot of tracks on some long afternoons after school. He was ManOnMoon and he raced in the Kalpen contest 2001 also. In December 2000, I found Stunts on the internet and the first site I stumbled upon was Lukas Löehrer's site. There were records for all of the original tracks and I was extremely impressed. The record for Default was 0.54.70. At first I was shocked, but then I watched the replay and thought "oh.... but that's not fair". He was using the basic way-switch shortcut. The record-holders were called StreetHawk, Guven and some third name, and I dreamed of being as good as them. They had 2.00.30 on Bernies, 3.43 on Cherry's and 1.11.10 on Joes. It was when I joined the Kalpen contest on CTRACK27 that things really began to change. I raced that track over and over again, knowing nothing of replay handling, and I think this, and the similar exercise on the next two Kalpen tracks, on which I still didn't know of replay handling, really improved me as a pipsqueak. I saw the winning replays and began to realize the possibilities in Stunts. Strange how I had been playing this game for so many years without realizing how good it was really possible to be. I guess I still dreamed of the best possible time on Default as being something around 52 seconds. I started to explore this track using the intended road and started to get times like 1.07-1.06-1.05. Suddenly my days of playing Stunts at school seemed very far away. Then there was the next big change: the permanent competition at Zakstunts. I think it was my idea originally, and its introduction meant we got to play on the original track with all the expertise that the 2002 season of Zakstunts had given everyone. Times broke down faster and faster, and we pushed each other to finding sicker and sicker ways to drive Default and the other tracks. In 2003 or 2004, I finally reached my limit on Default, doing noRH laps on the regular road at 1.01. Alain proved that with replay handling, it was actually possible to go on the road, with ISA rules, and finish under one minute. I began to realize that the guy who told me he had done 1.08 probably hadn't been lying. But even when, after hours of trying, I did my 35 seconds that stayed as the Default record for more than 4 years, I was still so much like my old self. I thought that I had done a once-in-a-lifetime drive and that anyone who wanted to beat me would need extreme luck. The limits had been erased in Stunts, it was after the generation of the maximalists, and I thought the record would simply stop going down at some point. How naive. I think it was only with the arrival of Renato Biker in 2006 that I truly understood Stunts and began to become relaxed about it. I knew that there was really no limit, and that I could not seriously be one of the best unless I devoted hours of hard work.  I also realized then that Stunts was a mind game. Driving skills are just the basics. The real issue is thinking skills and then dedication. Then came the moment of ZCT79, the big race on Default that everyone had been waiting for all these years. What seemed impossible became possible. Competition racing pushed the record 4 whole seconds, which is an incredibly amount of time on this kind of track. and with the improvement of Default, theoretically all other permanent track records also disappeared. It became clear that the motivation of a Zakstunts competition track could make the pipsqueaks go further than any racing on a permanent competition. Even then, it wasn't the end. For me, in 2009, doing 0.31.55 imitating Ayrton was nothing special anymore. But even after this greatest eternal master Ayrton had done his best in a Zakstunts competition track on Default, it wasn't over yet. I must confess that even then, in 2008 or 2009, I thought it was over. I could not see how Ayrton's time could be improved. It could - of course it could. Now Mark L. Rivers is the king (I remember what Gutix or Renato Biker said to me when I had the records at 35.70: "my records on the other tracks don't matter, you have the big throne". ), but who knows what the limit is? I sure don't, but I'm looking forward to any new record attempts that might happen. At this point it's us against the tracks. And Default is our primest proving ground, where state of the art Stunts must be showcased. It's the one biggest shocker for anyone who joins the Stunts community, the thing that makes them see the full, vast, perspective of the Stunts community: "these guys did Default in 30,90 without cheat cars"

I think considering all the time it took for me to make these developments, I don't believe that any girl did 1.02 on Default. Prove me wrong though, prove me wrong...

Duplode

I started playing Stunts in 1995 or 1996, after getting the game from a floppy borrowed by my father. You can see the DEFAULT.HIG of that floppy on the attached pic (taken from a backup of my old BB1.0 folder), still with the original record holder, someone called 'olega', topping the scoresheet. The file manager says the last modification to the file was in 28/06/2004... As you may guess from looking at it, I never did any serious record-chasing before joining online contests. Probably that's because me and the handful of friends who I used to play with in the old days never felt the need of real competition, sticking instead with the joys of cooperative track design and test-driving (we left proper racing to "minor" games like NFS or whatever else we would get in our Playstations). Even later, on my mid-teens, when I had a few brief stints of Stunts driving (more often than not racing alone), building 4+ minute behemoths and surviving them without pausing or shortcuts was satisfying enough. The actual results were probably quite ridiculous (even for BB1.0), but it didn't matter because I had nothing to compare them with. And I have no clue on how far these could go down if I tackled those old tracks again... Anyway, back to Default, after the puny times you see on the scoreboard I guess my next attempt was around late 2007, sometime before Z79, in which I did something on the 1:05 - 1:06 range following NoRH+IRC, only to eventually halve that time before the end of the year... Yes, competition does help a long way towards breaking limits.

Great read BJ! I nominate it for a new ZakStunts article.

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on February 14, 2010, 07:45:36 PM

Great read BJ! I nominate it for a new ZakStunts article.

Exactly my thoughts. Can I share it on the site?
I really enjoyed reading it.

BonzaiJoe

Sure! But please, remove the first sentence, and then add "on Default" after 1.12.00. That would be better. And call it something like "Growing up on the Default track"

I'm glad you liked it - I wrote it at 5 in the morning after a fancy-dress party, dressed up as a goth scotsman in a kilt and with eyeliner and blue paint (rave afterparty) smeared all over my face and wearing a sign that said: "WHISKEY, LASSES, GLOOM". I was really drunk and almost falling asleep.

Just so you know how to make a good article ;)