News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

replay handling???

Started by StuntingHoschte, October 15, 2007, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuntingHoschte

can i ask whats replay handling?? cos i dont know that
5h1t, thats helluva fast, i wont drive it again

Duplode

Well, let me give it a try:

Replay Handling (RH) is the 'standard' modality of racing around here. Its main premise is one cannot attest just with a .RPL/.HIG file to have driven a whole lap on a track in a single run, due to technical limitations. Thus, one is allowed to pause at any moment during the lap, save and then reload from the end of replay if needed (due to crash, off-road excursions, etc.). Even further, it is actually possible to rewind a replay and continue from any point AND ignore that "you have to continue from the end of the replay" warning AND still have a 100% legal lap: just choose "Continue Anyway", save imediately after and reload! (see this for a clearer explanation) While some would say it kills "true" spirit of racing, RH makes it reasonable to pull off some really extreme stunts, and can save a hell lot of time while racing hard tracks. (if you can avoid getting paranoid with optimization, that is!) 

Still, if you do not think RH is "manly" enough, or in case you don't feel at home with the concept, there is always the alternative of No Replay Handling (NoRH). NoRH is no-frills driving (but sure with a lot of thrills!): that is, surviving the whole lap non-stop, with no "corrections". Classically, NoRH races were basely solely on good faith of competitors (since, as already mentioned, .RPLs and .HIGs can't prove legitimity), but nowadays we have DOSBox, and thus a true "official" competition is possible (Mark's SDR-NoRH).

In the end, it's all a matter of taste. NoRH is more like real racing, and more thrilling when it comes down to on-track action; while RH is rather more artistical in nature, being the route to arbitrary degrees of perfection. As for me? I race both, no prejudice!  ;)

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on October 16, 2007, 03:14:07 AMAs for me? I race both, no prejudice!  ;)
Well said Duplode!!! Everyone should at least try both contest without prejudice and then decide. And world would be much nicer if this no-prejudice was applied in avery order of life.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Since we can't trust in online live races (yes we can't, still talking about video editors) the only way to test no-RH skills is the LIVE WSM RACE!

With a good video editor it's about 3 minutes extra time to create a quasi-no-RH replay without serious traces.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: CTGWith a good video editor it's about 3 minutes extra time to create a quasi-no-RH replay without serious traces.
Cheaters always find a way to cheat... ::)
Anyway, in SDR competition you have to send your replay AND your video. Video must be recorded while racing, not while watching a replay that could be a RH one. Are you able to do a RH replay and edit your video to match it perfectly ? Maybe that's the reason why you never joined SDR noRH competition : you fear to be caught cheating with false noRH replay. :P

CTG

Krys: it can be edited perfectly, I know it EXACTLY. ;)

BonzaiJoe

I think we can trust in online noRH racing as long as CTG is not in it. There haven't been signs of anyone else cheating, and I honestly don't believe anyone else would bother to edit videos.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

... (telling my full opinion would make some pipsqueaks really nervous)

Chulk

You can give your own opinion. Only Mark, Duplode, Krys and me are racing NoRH competition right now, and I don't think any of us would get nervous for whatever you may say.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Mark L. Rivers

You're right Chulk, we have no reasons to be nervous. Maybe disgusted, but sure not nervous. Nervous are only the cheaters, who have to try to hide themselves and their lies behind many words. And when they are also desirous to be always protagonist and incensed (and a cheater usually is so) often the best way to act is to bespatter who, from their point of view, adumbrates their image.
Anyway, about SDR NORH contest I think that the most evident proof that there's no way to cheat in it is that CTG still has not won a race. If this will happen in the future (I'm talking hypothetically...) maybe we will have to study a new way to avoid that cheating can annoy the happy-island called "NORH races".

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on October 16, 2007, 07:26:47 PM
... (telling my full opinion would make some pipsqueaks really nervous)

Unfortunately, it's too late for you to worry about that, so please conclude your argument.

StuntingHoschte

i drove my lap at usc fairly,and most are 1:xx:xx times, that are cheaters
5h1t, thats helluva fast, i wont drive it again

CTG

Quote from: StuntingHoschte on October 17, 2007, 05:52:36 AM

For sure they are. ;)

CTG

Even hard insults can't make me race again to prove anything. :P

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Mark L. Riverswe will have to study a new way to avoid that cheating can annoy the happy-island called "NORH races".
Only way : that kind of video (but it requires a digital photo camera able to record short videos like the one I have, or a real digital video camera) => http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1qJZLq57Y
That is, a video recording the screen of the computer, not a capture with DOSBox. And with a music from a CD during the replay like I did, so any video editing would be heard due to the music.
Sadly, this would be even more "selective" because I don't think everyone has a digital camera.

Quote from: StuntingHoschte
If you consider that RH is a cheat, then of course scoreboard is full of cheaters. ;D

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT269 track, from ZakStunts season 2023?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview