News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

The future of SDR

Started by Mark L. Rivers, October 24, 2007, 07:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark L. Rivers

Well, it?s arrived the moment to talk about the future of SDR, communicating to all what I decided last summer.
Without many words, I have to say that there won?t be a 2008 season. There won?t be a RH contest and neither a NORH contest. SDR will remain active only for eventual special events like ISM.
The reason is very simple: I have not enough time to continue to manage a whole season. So I must renounce to my activity as contest manager.

I always thought, and recently I said it too, that all want to keep alive our extraordinary little world have to do something for it, even if only racing with passion.
Now it could seem I act in an opposite way. But, honestly, I think I have given very much for Stunts racing world in last 2 years. Let me do a short summary of my Stunts activities until here, a kind of little testament of my work.

My first official race was Tokaj at USC in November 2005, just after I discovered Stunts on Web.

My Stunts passion pushed me very soon to become a contest manager, and so I started to manage SDR in January 2006 with a RH contest, even I had no experience about web designing (but I learned quite well, I think? ;)). I tried soon to bring some innovations (at least comparing with the situation I found at my ?arrive? on the Web) like a News page updated almost daily with specific comments about all results (a feature introduced later in other contests).

In May 2006 I enlarged my engagement starting with the first official NORH contest in the Web availing DOSBox 0,65 and its video-capture system.
(Even if it should be quite clear, two contests means: double check of replays sent, double update without an automatic system, double analysis, double comments, double all. Anyway, I tried to make more and more interesting both SDR contests including month after month new features about races and site, even if this meant more work).

To make more compact the whole community and to have a point of aggregation for all active contests, in September 2006 I created Stunts World Ranking (SWR) improving it month after month with new features making it more and more balanced and suitable in order of current statement of all contests.

Then, basing on SWR, I organized International Stunts Master 2007 (ISM 2007), which has been raced in December 2006 and January 2007 having a good success.

In February 2007 I renewed my engagement for both two contests (RH and NORH) with an absolutely new racing system based on weekly checkpoints.

In July 2007 I created a new Stunts car, SPEEDGATE XSD, a very good car listening who have raced with it. I hope a long and glorious career for it. :)

In August 2007 I launched ISM 2008, which will begin next December 2007.

And beside all this, I raced about 90% of all official races in last 2 years (almost 100% in last year) with all my passion trying to increase step by step my skill.

I don?t think to have given more than others, above all in the past, have given. But I?m very satisfied about what I done, above all because I think I done it in the period it was more useful.
I think all Stunts drivers have benefited from all my activity and my passion, and I feel to have done my part in this wonderful world.

I?m especially proud about the official NORH contest and SWR, and I don?t want they could be lost. I think that would be a little ?tragedy? for me, and a damage for Stunts community.
So in agreement with a real Stunts-Man, Krys TOFF, they will continue to exist. Thanks to the contribute of  Krys, NORH contest with DOSBox video-capture system will continue in 2008. Krys will tell us when new contest will begin (Spring 2008 ?) informing us about its new features and the official site.

So my career as contest manager finishes with next and last SDR race.
But I won?t renounce to continue to give my contribute so to keep alive this great world.
You will see me engaged in all races I will able to race, above all NORH races, sure. And If I?ll succeed to find a bit more of time, maybe ISM 2008 could be only the last SDR special event before the next one? ;)

Thanks to all have taken part in a whatever SDR race (you can see the list in SDR Ranking pages), I hope they enjoyed in it, and thanks in advance to all will take part in last race if it will be their first time in SDR.
Finally, thanks to all have appreciated all my hard work too.

What can I say more?

Nothing more than this: Long live to Stunts?

Chulk

Really a pity, but at least we won't lose NoRH  ;). I'll hate to lose the one driver I like racing against most!  :).
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

It's sad to see such a damn nice competition to go away... I truly hope Mark keeps getting invitations as guest designer, many of his designs are just lovely.

And of course, all pipsqueaks: let's race like hell on the final round!

AbuRaf70

It is of regretting the decision of Mark, of abandoning the organization of competitions... 

But, it is also necessary to thank all it a lot and good that has given us...
Por largo que sea el camino, siempre comienza con el primer paso.

Krys TOFF

Managing a competition can occupy a lot of time. Thanks to Mark for his management, and for making noRH races possible.
I'll keep you informed of the future noRH competition. ;)

CTG

Zak is hiding ZSC 2008, Kalpen isn't very regular nowadays, WSC is "just" an IRC contest, USC will be closed, SDR seems to die too...

Quite nice Stunts CV from Mark. I guess most of the oldies have the same long list...

Krys TOFF

I finally choosed the name for future noRH competition starting in 2008 : Feel the Thrill. ;)

Chulk

Nice name Krys! I like it (and it reminds me of a U2 song, I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about  ;))

CTG

I've also found a name for the live contest at the next WSM: TRUE TALENTS. ;D

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on November 26, 2007, 11:33:12 PM
Zak is hiding ZSC 2008, Kalpen isn't very regular nowadays, WSC is "just" an IRC contest, USC will be closed, SDR seems to die too...

That makes for a bit of a scary prospect... hopefully more drivers will join Krys' noRH contest (cool heading! ;)). And BTW, now that we just have two running contests it would make sense if more pipsqueaks tried a shot at WSC...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk on November 27, 2007, 12:14:15 AM
Nice name Krys! I like it (and it reminds me of a U2 song, I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about  ;))
I thought more of Raise Hell's song named Death Race :

All lined up waiting for the gunshot to start the race
All engines powered up, there is no return

Feel the thrill of the speed, this is a Deathrace
Screaming wheels in the night, this is a Deathrace

Wipe the dirt of your shoes, it's madness let loose
Wipe that smile of your face, this is a Deathrace

Push your beast to the limit, faster and faster you go
It's power pulls you back against the seat
I hope you know what you're doing

Chased, but you feel safe
By steel you are embraced
Lights in your eyes
Caught you by surprise...

Crashed into a wall, you lost control, you failed
You paid the price, you learned what you might face
In a Deathrace

All lined up waiting for the gunshot to start the race
All engines powered up, there is no return

I think the sentence "Crashed into a wall, you lost control, you failed. You paid the price, you learned what you might face... In a Deathrace." is a good definition of noRH "thrill" and atmosphere. ;D

Chulk

Quote from: Krys TOFF on November 27, 2007, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: Chulk on November 27, 2007, 12:14:15 AM
I thought more of Raise Hell's song named Death Race :

I think the sentence "Crashed into a wall, you lost control, you failed. You paid the price, you learned what you might face... In a Deathrace." is a good definition of noRH "thrill" and atmosphere. ;D
It's true, but the other one first came into my mind.