News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

SUMMER 2008

Started by zaqrack, October 29, 2007, 05:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on November 05, 2007, 08:52:04 PM
Job location: Shenzhen, China.  8)
Will you change your name to Zak-san? (Yes, I know it's Japanese but still...)
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

JTK

Quote from: zaqrack on November 05, 2007, 08:52:04 PM
But I'll attend a job interview on Wednesday, I applied partly just for fun, and now they called me in. I'm curious what are they going to offer, if it's good enough for my needs and they also like me, I might accept it. Job location: Shenzhen, China.  8)

That would be a dream come true, wouldn't it? I wish you luck! :)
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

zaqrack

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 05, 2007, 10:14:12 PM
Wow! Be sure to tell me how that goes...

Well, today I had the first round of interview, which could have been better, but I chose to play completely fair and straight, because for me this is the only way to go when applying for a position which would result in such a huge change in my life. (for example when asked about my worst thing, I really told a bad one - that when I face a task which I dislike, I sometimes tend not to be thorough and precise.), and also mentioned that keeping my girlfriend with me is an important matter for me - these are of course not the best things to say at an interview.) Next week we'll see if despite these they'll call me for the next round or not, the second interview suits me better - language skills (English+Chinese). If I also qualify there, only a last one to go, and if we get to an agreement, I'll be moving to Shenzhen around March - for 3 years at least.

The job turned out to be pretty intresting - this is a relatively small Hungarian company working as a "bridge" between Hungarian and Chinese companies by helping to find contacts, partners, or prepare new investments. They have an office in Budapest and one in Shanghai - and now they are planning to open a new branch in Shenzhen - the person they seek will be the one running this office and directing two subordinate Chinese employees. They also offer a flat, plane tickets and other travel costs, health insurance and other benefits in the package as well along with a decent Hungarian salary - which is worth a lot more in China.

Mislav

Whoa! That sounds really interesting and kind of new life era for you Zak. That's a big change i suppose. What about seeing your friends, family, home town, country? Will you be able to visit them often over the year?

P.S. If you get the job in China (I wish you success) than, like you said, that's a huge step "...to find contacts, partners, or prepare new investments..." for the new chinese Stunts comunity  ;D

And I can already tell you that: there are lots of Chinese people  :o

P.S. Tomorrow, I have an interview at a company for city planning, urbanism etc. There a lots of architects competing this job, and they get such jobs much easier than we, the landscape architects. But things chance in Croatia, there is more and more the need for landscape architects to project and protect urban and rural spaces. So I also hope to pass the first interview. Ahm...do you think I should tell them about my Kalpen victory to impress the bosses?  ;)

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: zaqrack on November 07, 2007, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 05, 2007, 10:14:12 PM
Wow! Be sure to tell me how that goes...

Well, today I had the first round of interview, which could have been better, but I chose to play completely fair and straight, because for me this is the only way to go when applying for a position which would result in such a huge change in my life. (for example when asked about my worst thing, I really told a bad one - that when I face a task which I dislike, I sometimes tend not to be thorough and precise.), and also mentioned that keeping my girlfriend with me is an important matter for me - these are of course not the best things to say at an interview.) Next week we'll see if despite these they'll call me for the next round or not, the second interview suits me better - language skills (English+Chinese). If I also qualify there, only a last one to go, and if we get to an agreement, I'll be moving to Shenzhen around March - for 3 years at least.

The job turned out to be pretty intresting - this is a relatively small Hungarian company working as a "bridge" between Hungarian and Chinese companies by helping to find contacts, partners, or prepare new investments. They have an office in Budapest and one in Shanghai - and now they are planning to open a new branch in Shenzhen - the person they seek will be the one running this office and directing two subordinate Chinese employees. They also offer a flat, plane tickets and other travel costs, health insurance and other benefits in the package as well along with a decent Hungarian salary - which is worth a lot more in China.

Okay - I think you're right to go honestly about it. That way you may lower your chances of getting the job, but you'll make things better for yourself in case you do get it. Is Shenzhen a nice place? Neither I nor any of my parents have been there.
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: zaqrackthe second interview suits me better - language skills (English+Chinese).
You speak chinese ? :o

Mislav

CTG

hahaha let's hope nobody wants to throw out zak from this office... ;D

zaqrack

Quote from: Krys TOFF on November 08, 2007, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: zaqrackthe second interview suits me better - language skills (English+Chinese).
You speak chinese ? :o

let's say I'm learning it since two years and am progressing quite well :)

zaqrack

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 07, 2007, 09:55:58 PM
Okay - I think you're right to go honestly about it. That way you may lower your chances of getting the job, but you'll make things better for yourself in case you do get it. Is Shenzhen a nice place? Neither I nor any of my parents have been there.

Well I have never been in China, so have no comparison, but as I concluded from the reviews of waiguo ren living there, it's quite a great place for a foreigner!
Hongkong is in the neighourhood, so it's very multicultural, especially for China. Also it is the fastest developing city in the world - +7,5 million inhabitants in 25 years! - so you can hardly find history there, but it refelcts the developing new China very much (it's also the most expensive city to live in China)
What I like the most, that the average age of people living there is around 29 years. That reminds me of Berlin, where in the Eastern part I also saw mostly young people - and it made the city very lively and interesting.

zaqrack

Quote from: Mislav on November 07, 2007, 09:36:41 PM
Whoa! That sounds really interesting and kind of new life era for you Zak. That's a big change i suppose. What about seeing your friends, family, home town, country? Will you be able to visit them often over the year?
I don't know yet. If I qualify for the next round of interview, I'll learn more about these
The most important is, that my girlfriend is eager and willing to come with me to live there. I wouldn't dare to apply for such a big step without her, just alone. If she is there with me, I can somehow live along without my family - and visiting them when I can.
I also don't know if I'd like to stay there. I plan to return, do who knows, maybe I'll like it a lot more than expected. But I wish to have excellent Chinese skills - and that can't happen without living some years there.
With  English and Chinese both mastered then I should have no problems to have an intresting and great job anywhere in the world, and especially in Hungary, China's planned gateway to Europe.
So if this job won't work out, we still might move. There are plenty of hotels built for the Olympics, and I have a degree in restaurant and hotel management after all, so probably it's not hard to get a job for next year - but of course it wouldnt be as comfortable as with this one I have applied for.

Quote from: Mislav on November 07, 2007, 09:36:41 PM
P.S. Tomorrow, I have an interview at a company for city planning, urbanism etc. There a lots of architects competing this job, and they get such jobs much easier than we, the landscape architects. But things chance in Croatia, there is more and more the need for landscape architects to project and protect urban and rural spaces. So I also hope to pass the first interview. Ahm...do you think I should tell them about my Kalpen victory to impress the bosses?  ;)
So how was it? I was cheering for you!
Don't brag with your victory, but bring some stunts track you created, and show the scenery to impress them, if they are hesitating. :)

Mislav

Aha, your girlfriend wants to join you? Then go!  :D That's a big difference. And for sure a great life expierence to work/live/love in China.   :) Did you watch "Lost in translation"? Great movie.

About my interview, I sadly forgot to mention Stunts. Maybe that's why they still didn't answer me  :(

A month ago I had a presentation in a townhall in front of a town councillor and many pressmen and town planning employees. It was about the revitalisation of a historic forrest promenade Carmen Sylva in Opatija (near Rijeka, on the Adriatic coast). So, next week I found a big article (even with my picture!) about my presentation in daily newspaper Novi list! But I still search for a job...(I got my diploma in July) but everybody search for workers with expierence, 3 yrs, 5 yrs etc... How can I start workinkg then with no expierence (I worked as student only and volunteer - no internship) ?! Do you have some working expierence Zak, when did you graduate?

zaqrack

our school required us to fulfill twice 5 months internship, that's why it's worth more than similar diplomas.
First 5 months was required to do in a restaurant and a hotel, the second one was your choice  - this is where I chose thy Hungarian Cyclists' Club, where I work ever since.
Salary is not much, but I have a great possibility to build contacts, and also I have an independent managers position, which is worth a lot, when applying for other positions. I also like this job, so I think its a great investment for the future.

It's of course hard to find a decent job with a fresh degree. I can recommend you two ways to go:

-apply for similar jobs you'd like to have, and work there for a year or a bit more, just to have some experience.
-find a non-governmental organization which works in the field of town planning (there must be many related to nature protection), and start working there - usually you get nothing in exchange - but a lot of experience and great contacts!
-and keep on searching for your dream job, don't give up!

Chulk

Quote from: Mislav on November 11, 2007, 03:46:33 PM
A month ago I had a presentation in a townhall in front of a town councillor and many pressmen and town planning employees. So, next week I found a big article (even with my picture!) about my presentation in daily newspaper Novi list!
Show us the newspaper picture!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

BonzaiJoe

Zak: I've just looked Shenzhen up on Google Earth:

1. It's going to breally warm :)

2. Shenzhen is in Guangdong province, where the primary language is cantonese, is this not a problem?
But we can't be quite sure.