News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

looking for new drivers in South America

Started by Danopelayos, December 01, 2007, 03:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on February 19, 2009, 08:25:42 AM
And don't forget us! Present results are not the only thing which counts...

* Olympic Champions
          o 1952
    * Central European International Cup
          o 1948/53
    * World Cup
          o Runners-up 1954

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Team

To be correct...

World Cup

Runner-ups: 1938, 1954

Olympic Games

Golden medal: 1952, 1964, 1968
Silver medal: 1972
Bronze medal: 1960

Euro Cup:

Bronze medal: 1964

Chulk

Even more for against Spain! Don't get me wrong, I like them, but I don't think they can be consider one of football greats.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

BonzaiJoe

It's strange... They are the European champions after all, and their league is the strongest in Europe maybe after Premier League.
They've been consistently strong for as long as I remember. Admittedly they have never won a world championship, so if that's the criterion for inclusion in the league of great football nations, that league consists of Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, England and France.
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 20, 2009, 10:58:04 AM
It's strange... They are the European champions after all, and their league is the strongest in Europe maybe after Premier League.
They've been consistently strong for as long as I remember. Admittedly they have never won a world championship, so if that's the criterion for inclusion in the league of great football nations, that league consists of Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, England and France.
I don't think the criteria is being World Champion, but being consistently one of the favourite teams to win a competition. When Euro is about to start, and you think about candidates to win it, Germany, Italy, England and France (in a lesser way) are always there, while Spain, Portugal or some others have their good years, but that's not enough. Portugal is considered to have a great team today, but still they sucked in last Euro and it had been a while since they had their last good team. Also Denmark was Euro champ back on Laudrup's time, but then they fail to build a good team, Greece was Euro champ and we know they're no dream-team. Hungary was one of the greatest back in the 50's but they couldn't keep that status over the years.
Same in SA, when Copa America is being played, you have 2 all-time candidates (Argentina and Brazil, obviously) and then a 3rd and 4th team depending on the year. Uruguay was 3rd team a few years ago, now it's Paraguay, it was Colombia in the middle 90's (when Rincon, Asprilla, Valderrama, Valencia where playing). Uruguay case is like Hungary's (with 2 World cup's, I know) but they failed to keep their status over the years, going to last World Cups only because of Argentina's generosity in last round of the Quali.
In my opinion, there are only 5 great football teams, in order: Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and England. France could be there but they are not that consistent...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: ChulkIn my opinion, there are only 5 great football teams, in order: Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and England. France could be there but they are not that consistent...
I don'ty think England is more consistent than France. Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy are the all-time top 4 since football's WC was created. Spain, England or France are one level down.

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 20, 2009, 05:12:25 PM
Quote from: ChulkIn my opinion, there are only 5 great football teams, in order: Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and England. France could be there but they are not that consistent...
I don'ty think England is more consistent than France. Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Italy are the all-time top 4 since football's WC was created. Spain, England or France are one level down.

The last four decades are sufficient to put Netherlands at least par with Spain, though. That suggests France and England are probably a step above both (still below the top 4).

Chulk

You're (all of you) right. So... Argentina-Brazil-Italy-Germany - GAP - England-France - GAP - Netherlands-Spain.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk
Argentina-Brazil-Italy-Germany - GAP - England-France - GAP - Netherlands-Spain.
I aggree. So now, can someone tell me why we talked about that here instead of in the football topic(s) ? ;D

BonzaiJoe

In Stunts:

Argentina - GAP - Brazil, Hungary, Denmark - GAP - Germany, France

;)
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 21, 2009, 10:18:17 AM
In Stunts:

;)

Argentina - GAP - Denmark, Hungary, Brazil - GAP - France, Germany - GAP - Netherlands, Italy

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 21, 2009, 11:08:32 AM
In Stunts:

;)

Argentina - GAP - Denmark, Hungary, Brazil - GAP - France, Germany - GAP - Netherlands, Italy
Argentina - GAP - Denmark, Hungary, CTG & his ghosts, Brazil...  ;D ;D

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on February 21, 2009, 02:08:28 PM
Quote from: CTG on February 21, 2009, 11:08:32 AM
In Stunts:

;)

Argentina - GAP - Denmark, Hungary, CTG & his ghosts, Brazil...  ;D ;D

Insulting, Alan, insulting? ;D :P