News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Formula 1 in 2009

Started by Krys TOFF, December 06, 2007, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

I know I'm in advance, but I think Nick Heidfeld's comments regarding 2009 rules are important.

Here is a resume : in 2009, max allowed downforce will be divided by 2, and tyre heaters won't be allowed. Slick tyres may be back too, but not with ultra-soft gums like they were when they were used in F1. As traction control will also be forbidden since 2008, the F1 will be very hard to control and very dangerous, because horsepower will remain very strong but with a lot less grip overall.

It seems to me that it's a come-back to the deadly years of F1, when too many good pipsqueaks died while racing... :-X
I can understand the traction control suppression, because it will show the real talents of the drivers, but why suppress the tyre heaters and limit the down force ? With too cold tyres, F1 racing will seems like ice racing ! This is F1, not Andros Trophy !!! >:(

Duplode

On the other hand, the aero downforce reduction appears to be something necessary to reduce the troubles with turbulence when enering a corner right behind another car, which is one of the main reasons why overtaking is so difficult nowadays. Driver safety is always a concern, but the higher standards of car construction of current F1 hopefully can mostly circumvent any problems. However, considering all of this the tyre restrictions mentioned are indeed really out of place... :-\

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode
On the other hand, the aero downforce reduction appears to be something necessary to reduce the troubles with turbulence when enering a corner right behind another car, which is one of the main reasons why overtaking is so difficult nowadays. Driver safety is always a concern, but the higher standards of car construction of current F1 hopefully can mostly circumvent any problems.
They want more fight and more overtaking ? Then choose better the tracks ! There are large (not in length, I mean tracks where 3 or 4 cars can be side by side) and fast tracks in the world but FIA prefers slow sharp tracks...
I could understand a diminution of downforce, but not divided by 2 like it is planned. And a potential return of slick tyres can't balance it. Anyway, goal is obviously to diminish the highest speed difference between top teams ans small teams.

Quote from: Duplode
However, considering all of this the tyre restrictions mentioned are indeed really out of place... :-\
Sure. Cold tyres is just going back to the 50's, where so many drivers crashed. Let's hope they will change their minds regarding this point until 2009.

Krys TOFF

D. Coulthard explains here why tyre warmer should be kept : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64353

He talks about lower speed with cold tyres compared to hot ones and the risk of collision with the pitstops due to this speed difference.
Also, he talks about the pressure problem, remembering that low tyres have a too low pressure, and that is one of the problems (the other one was the suspension broken) that Ayrton Senna had on his car when he crashed and died.

I don't often say that Coulthard is a clever guy (well, so far I NEVER said it :D), but this time I fully aggree with him.

Chulk

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 11, 2007, 06:06:34 PM
I don't often say that Coulthard is a clever guy (well, so far I NEVER said it :D), but this time I fully aggree with him.
He might not be clever, but remember his wife...

About 2009 rules, no tyre warmers and harder slicks will surely result in many accident, hopefully not fatal as Security Systems are much better now. About downforce, it's good to see it will be decreased but I think only half is too much reduction. If they want more overtaking, leave Monaco, Australia and that kind of tracks out of here.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

On the other hand, FIA might as well find anoter use for all the excess downforce - that would make racing much more interesting to all of us folks... Check: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19948.html  :D

(Edit: Link edited, d'oh @ me and thanks Krys...)

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode on January 08, 2008, 06:36:26 PM
On the other hand, FIA might as well find anoter use for all the excess downforce - that would make racing much more interesting to all of us folks... Check: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19952.html  :D
Mmmm, I suppose you mean this news : http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19948.html

CTG

No Montreal race in 2009...

F U C K   YOU MAX AND BERNIE!!!

Krys TOFF

Projects for future French GP of F1.
Magny-Cours will be used in 2009 probably because there's still a contract, but Bernie doesn't want it anymore.
Which projects to replace Magny-Cours ?

1/ Magny-cours 2 : an update of the current track with new F1 standards (new hostels, new roads to reach the GP location, ...). No real track modification, only the structures around the track will be modified and the track re-surfaced. Easiest to do, but not in the mood of Bernie who wants a race closer to Paris.
See 3 pictures of the project there : http://www.f1-action.net/infos/article8247.html

2/ Disneyland : a city roads track only for the F1 event, 30km east of Paris and not so far from my home. Favorite project of Bernie because he is a mouse. :P

3/ Val-de-France, 25-30km north of Paris, close to the current moto "Carole" track. My favorite project because "Carole" moto track is planned to be closed and the creation of the F1 track would mean the creation of the "Club" track (see the pic) to replace it. In case this project is not chosen, there will be buildings everywhere to replace them, so it's now or never to build a new permanent track close to Paris that fits modern F1 standards and that would allow some more events than simply F1.

Krys TOFF

Confirmation for 2009 : 17 GP. no Magny-Cours, no Montreal.

Anyway, here is the comparison between F1 2008 and F1 2009 specifications. Rear wing will be ugly : too high and not large enough. But if it will really help to see more bypassing, then why not ?
Suppression of all other weird aerodynamic elements will bring me back memories of F1 as it was some years ago.

CTG

Damn, this one is really ugly. And let me guess: it won't help the drivers in overtaking. Because most of them are too shy to make agressive movements. The Senna-Prost battles won't come back...

Krys TOFF

And even Prost-Senna battles were nothing compared to this : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2mzOFR_dg&feature=related
Best F1 fight ever, 3 crazy last laps and a duel for 2nd place between Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux (JP Jabouille on the other Renault was easy leader and won the race).

CTG

Quote from: Krys TOFF on November 05, 2008, 11:48:42 PM
And even Prost-Senna battles were nothing compared to this : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2mzOFR_dg&feature=related
Best F1 fight ever, 3 crazy last laps and a duel for 2nd place between Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux (JP Jabouille on the other Renault was easy leader and won the race).
Quote from: CTG on June 04, 2008, 10:32:44 AM
G. Villeneuve vs Arnoux, best few laps ever in F1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzCqY8Wg5So

Already linked earlier by me.

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on November 05, 2008, 11:12:46 PM
Suppression of all other weird aerodynamic elements will bring me back memories of F1 as it was some years ago.

Those rear wings bring me a couple extra years back... 

(pioneering Lotus rear wings circa 1968... :D)

But if it is to reduce the overbearing influence of airflow turbulence when following another car, it's all for good...

Quote from: CTG on November 05, 2008, 11:21:06 PM
And let me guess: it won't help the drivers in overtaking. Because most of them are too shy to make agressive movements. The Senna-Prost battles won't come back...

Hamilton-Vettel battles at least, maybe? :) 

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on November 05, 2008, 11:21:06 PM
Damn, this one is really ugly. And let me guess: it won't help the drivers in overtaking. Because most of them are too shy to make agressive movements. The Senna-Prost battles won't come back...
Alonso is brave enough to do some great moves... And Kimi is too, when he's motivated. Of course Vettel but I'm not sure about Hamilton...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)