News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Formula 1 in 2009

Started by Krys TOFF, December 06, 2007, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

You can't compare times. BMW and Honda had 2009 specs with KERS, Williams had 2009 spec without KERS, Ferrari had 2008 spec modified to emulate 2009 spec, STR, RBR and FI had 2008 specs and only evaluated drivers (for STR and FI) or did runs for the fun (for RBR with Loeb).

The 2 STR were the fastest, but with much more laps than the others. Today (so far) it's the same except that Vettel replaced Loeb in RBR. Vettel had a mechanical issue but managed to do the 3rd best time behind the 2 STR with only 6 laps runned (versus more than 100 laps for Sato and Buemi...).
Also, some drivers tested slicks, other the 2008 tyres (like your picture of the BMW on the previous post.
So, really, beeing the fastest in that kind of test doesn't mean anything.

About Loeb anyway, he said that his experience of high speed in Le Mans 24Hrs last years and his test in 2007 of the Renault (while Kovalainen tested the Citroen C4) helped him to adapt his driving to the Red Bull car.
With the same car configuration (this way, you can compare results), Loeb did his best lap (of 82 laps) in 1'22"503 while Vettel, who knows much better the car (as only engine is different between STR3 and RBR4) and the track did 1'21"257 in 6 laps only. 1.3 second difference only is a very good performance for a newbie in F1 (and all kind of single-seater cars as Loeb only did karting and then rally), but Vettel beeing able to do such a time in only 6 laps is another proof of his talent. He will become the new Schumi very soon for German fans.

zaqrack

Formula 1 could see even more changes next season as Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said the FIA is considering to introduce medals in F1. Ecclestone confirmed that he is seriously considering dropping the points-based drivers' championship for a medal-based title race, which should make it more exciting.

In case the FIA would introduce a medal-system in Formula 1 the winning driver will receive a gold medal, with a silver and bronze medal for second and third instead. So instead of receiving 10, 8 and 6 points the podium finishers will go home with a nice and shiny medal. Anyone not finishing on the podium would not receive any points but their finishing position will remain important for their overall ranking. The constructors' championship would remain unchanged and will still be based on a points system.

The medal-system could be introduced as early as next season. "The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done," Ecclestone was quoted by British newspaper The Times. "Everybody understands gold medals and silver and bronze. Nearly all sports are done that way. The whole point will be, when they get to Melbourne for the first race, the guys will want to leave there with a gold medal. They don't want to leave with ten, eight or six points.

"The need for it was highlighted at the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of this season when Hamilton only had to finish in the top five to win the title, not win. So this will encourage overtaking."

Krys TOFF

OK, now compare this medal system to current point system and see if world champion would be different. I think 8 or 9 of the last 10 seasons would mean a different world champion with this medal system compared to 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system.
I understand the goal, but I don't like the method.

I would prefer the come-back to bigger point difference for the podiumers, like when it was 10-6-4-3-2-1. Something like 14-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 would be better (to keep 8 best drivers awarding points like now) than only medals for podiumers and nothing for the others.

/Die Bernie mode ON
Any idea of Bernie is bullshit these days, like his attitude with Canada GP organizers. Die Bernie, die ! F1 will be better without you and your each-year-changing-rules-and-car-specs and without the too many amount of money required to host a GP. If it keeps this way, in 10 years there won't be any GP in Europe (except maybe Monaco) and all GP will be in Arab Emirates or countries like India who will be the only ones ready to pay such high fees just to have the possibility to host a Formula 1 GP. Even China starts to wonder if they want to keep paying more money year after year for hosting a GP...
/Die Bernie mode OFF

CTG

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on December 05, 2008, 11:37:37 AM
Honda... :'( :-\ Will we see only 18 cars on the starting grid?

http://f1.com/news/headlines/2008/12/8755.html
Who cares? They don't add anything to the competition...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on December 05, 2008, 11:42:20 AM

1, 18 cars are too few for 1:20-1:40 long tracks.
2, Qualifications will be even more boring.
3, Less pipsqueaks in the second half to crach with Nakajima. ;D
4, Button is a good pipsqueak, he's was only demotivated in 2008 - I think he's still better than Kovalainen, Fisichella and Piquet Jr.
5, Possibly this was only the first piece of domino, economical crisis can kill even more F1 teams and several clubs in other sports...

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on December 05, 2008, 11:46:57 AM
Quote from: Chulk on December 05, 2008, 11:42:20 AM

1, 18 cars are too few for 1:20-1:40 long tracks.
2, Qualifications will be even more boring.
3, Less pipsqueaks in the second half to crach with Nakajima. ;D
4, Button is a good pipsqueak, he's was only demotivated in 2008 - I think he's still better than Kovalainen, Fisichella and Piquet Jr.
5, Possibly this was only the first piece of domino, economical crisis can kill even more F1 teams and several clubs in other sports...
1, I don't see much difference. Indy has a lot more cars and shorter laps and it sucks.
2, Only the first session (they never make it to the second...)
3, True, but Nakajima will crash either way, so don't worry.  :D
4, I agree about Kovalainen (what the skid is he doing in McL?) and Piquet Jr. Fisichella is good, I always liked it.
5, Probably true.

6, Don't worry about Honda that much anyway. Bernie will go on with the "same engine for everybody" rule and F1 will die and become a drivers number reduced - non oval INDY. And Alonso will retire...

Krys TOFF

Qualif system is also under discussion to be changed, to get rid of the fuel quantity impact on qualif. I always found it weird to see a pipsqueak the fastest in Q2 (almost no fuel, just like old qualif system in which Senna was the best) and only 9th on the starting grid just because he had more fuel...
With only 18 cars on the grid, it will be a necessity to change qualif system anyway.

I fear about Bourdais' place now. Sato is not an issue anymore, if Honda stops F1, Honda will also stop supporting Sato. Without the money he could have brought to Toro rosso, Sato has less interest.
But now it means that Button is free. I fear it will be Buemi (90% sure) and Button at TR for 2009 instead of Buemi-Bourdais. It will be 2 "B"s drivers anyway. :D

What I fear now is that Toyota will also leave sooner or later. Especially with the Cosworth "standard" engine (back to the 70's-80's of F1 ?) that is coming for 2010 or 2011.

Maybe it will mean the come-back of F1 small entities all buying the same engine but building their own chassis ? Only Williams remains of these old-fashioned teams (McLaren too, but they are linked to engine builders since a long time now, they left the old artisanal spirit of F1 since ages, while Williams did it only during Renault engine period).

Maybe it will mean some GP2 team to go up to F1 with the Cosworth engine ? Anyway, "constructors" (Honda, Toyota, Renault, BMW, Mercedes (with McLaren)) era is close to its end. These standard car constructors are in F1 only to be seen, as a big advertisement. If costs are too high and results are not there, they will leave F1. They don't have to be there to sell cars, unlike Ferrari, or by passion (like Williams, RB and TR, FI and also partially McLaren).

Standard engine = no real interest for constructors. Engine development limitations was the beginning, the come-back of a standard Cosworth engine is the conclusion. After Honda, Toyota will leave in 2010 (except if they are really good in 2009), and Renault will probably do the same in 2 years if they don't manage to come back into top 3 teams. Same applies to BMW in case they decrease in performance.

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 05, 2008, 04:28:58 PM
just like old qualif system in which Senna was the best

Yes...
With a crappy Lotus against Piquet, Mansell, Rosberg and Prost with absolute strong cars as Brabham, Williams, McLaren... Unreachable...

Results Season 1985
Team Season 1985

Results Season 1986
Team Season 1986

alanrotoi

will it come to Argentina?

Krys TOFF

You like Bernie's idea of medals for drivers instead of points ? Or you think like me and think it's one of the worst idea of Bernie ? Then vote here : http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2008/12/8775.html (please vote no ;D)

Shitty, shitty... Shitty Bernie's idea ! :D

Gold medal would mean maybe more fight for the lead, but is will also mean almost no fight at all behind 4th place. F1 is already becoming less interesting among the years because of the lack of bypassing, I don't want a full season of GP like last year's Valencia city race. One of the worst F1 race ever : only 1 on-track bypassing along all the race !!! Bypassing players by doing faster pitstops is not what I call a good fight on tracks...

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 12, 2008, 12:45:34 PM
will it come to Argentina?
No, only in Brazil.

Duplode

FIA and the teams have reached a consensual agreement on cost-cutting measures for 2009 and 2010, and it seems they've cut it pretty deep! For instance, the 2010 decisions include:

QuoteAt races there will be standardised radio and telemetry systems. Tyre warmers will be banned. No-one will be allowed to mechanically purge the tyres. Refuelling will be banned. The race distance may also be reduced depending on the results of market research.

Full story: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21039.html

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 13, 2008, 12:11:14 AM
You like Bernie's idea of medals for drivers instead of points ? Or you think like me and think it's one of the worst idea of Bernie ? Then vote here : http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2008/12/8775.html (please vote no ;D)

Shitty, shitty... Shitty Bernie's idea ! :D

From the same source:

QuoteMarket research will be conducted to gauge the public reaction to a number of new ideas, including possible changes to qualifying and a proposal for the substitution of medals for points for the drivers.

So this time there is actually a slim hope our votes actually have some marginal influence on the outcome of this... ::) And of course, please vote no! :-X

Chulk

I already voted no.  ;) About cost-cutting measures, FIA and F1 teams agreed on the following for 2009.

1- Each driver will only have 8 engines to complete all of the 17 races in '09. They are still deciding if engines will have a RMP limiter at 18000, to avoid engine failures.
2- There won't be any private test during the Championship and factories must be closed for 6 weeks/year.
3- Teams will aso reduce the amount of mechanichs in every race by 30%

I think 2 and 3 are not that bad, but reducing the engines amount to less than 1 every 2 races really sucks.

Chulk

Buemi confirmed for STR. And Ferrari confirmed Alonso for 2011, but said he could be there in 2010 if Kimi doesn't improve his 2008 performance in 2009.

Krys TOFF

1st F1 2009 presented, Ferrari one : http://www.f1-action.net/infos/article10307.html

Quote from: Chulk on January 11, 2009, 04:08:50 PM
Ferrari confirmed Alonso for 2011, but said he could be there in 2010 if Kimi doesn't improve his 2008 performance in 2009.
Where did you got this info ? ???