News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapper

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 10, 2022, 03:47:51 AM
Nice articles Zapper!! I enjoyed them! Please continue! I love our wiki. We should write everything we know. Stories, process, personal profile and background... Everything about this community.  ;D ;D

Hi,

I'll continue to gather all information regarding cars and all that I make or contribute for this game and cumunity in the past.

Cas

Zapper - Your work on car articles is very good. I wish I knew more about cars both in real life and in Stunts, to properly write a good article for them. All I can help with is composition, you know, grammar and orthography too, though KyLiE is better at that. But the contents, you know a whole lot more than I.

Daniël - In Bliss's code, there's all that's necessary to properly generate information for tracks and I think I could make it to automatically produce that for all files in one directory. I have not counted jumps, for instance, which Stunts does, but it shouldn't be hard to do. Maybe this should be done with a separate "track browser" tool.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Zapper

Quote from: Cas on February 13, 2022, 12:04:28 AM
Zapper - Your work on car articles is very good. I wish I knew more about cars both in real life and in Stunts, to properly write a good article for them. All I can help with is composition, you know, grammar and orthography too, though KyLiE is better at that. But the contents, you know a whole lot more than I.
(...)

I've complete all the 8 articles regarding custom cars that I created in the past.

Caterham Super Seven JPE
Ferrari F40
Lotus Esprit Turbo SE
McLaren Honda MP4/4
Pontiac Firebird Turbo T/A - KITT version
Porsche 911 Turbo
Toyota Corolla Gti
Toyota Sprinter Trueno
I'm open to suggestions if some thing is not correctly spelled or inaccurate.

What you think about developping Wiki's Cheat Cars page in order to summarize an updated list custom cars ever created?

We could ask all other car creators to enrich it?

Trying out Ryoma's cars topic could be used to help on achieve the goal that I pointed.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Zapper on February 16, 2022, 07:41:08 PM
[quoteWhat you think about developping Wiki's Cheat Cars page in order to summarize an updated list custom cars ever created?
There is a difference between a cheat car and a custom car.
I don't mind enrichment of the page. But a different title (eg, custom cars) would be proper.
A cheat car is also a sort of custom car.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

I agree, cheat cars is a category of custom cars.

Zapper

Quote from: Daniel3D on February 16, 2022, 07:49:02 PM
Quote from: Zapper on February 16, 2022, 07:41:08 PM
[What you think about developping Wiki's Cheat Cars page in order to summarize an updated list custom cars ever created?
There is a difference between a cheat car and a custom car.
I don't mind enrichment of the page. But a different title (eg, custom cars) would be proper.
A cheat car is also a sort of custom car.

I agree. So in Stunts Wiki the "Cheat cars" page could be separated, since now the page states that is "(Redirected from Custom cars)" which is confusing... Seems this is an opportunity to clarify this classification.

Zapper

Quote from: Duplode on February 11, 2022, 11:14:53 PM
(...) I now wonder which other Stunts tools still need an article (one of them, for instance, is CarEdit).

I'll be soon in charge of creating a "CarEdit3" wiki page for it.

I've just created wiki page for 4D Sports Driving Car Editor / CarEdit3, further enrichment in course.

alanrotoi

Nice!

About the cheat (custom!) cars page we could also add a car designer list. Wht do you think?

Zapper

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 16, 2022, 10:47:49 PM
Nice!

About the cheat (custom!) cars page we could also add a car designer list. Wht do you think?

Wiki has a generic page Category:Hackers for it, but not so specific for car designers.

Duplode

Quote from: Zapper on February 16, 2022, 08:04:31 PM
I agree. So in Stunts Wiki the "Cheat cars" page could be separated, since now the page states that is "(Redirected from Custom cars)" which is confusing... Seems this is an opportunity to clarify this classification.

I agree with you all on "cheat" versus "custom". The Wiki article is called "Cheat cars" because, in the days before Stressed, most custom cars were cheat cars, and so the terms were used interchangeably. That doesn't really reflect how the terms are used nowadays. That being so, I have moved the "Cheat cars" article to "Custom cars", and adjusted the redirects accordingly. If you think it is worth it to have a separate article specifically about cheat cars, it can be created under the "Cheat cars" title (which for now is just a redirect).

Daniel3D

Quote from: Zapper on February 16, 2022, 11:07:15 PM
Quote from: alanrotoi on February 16, 2022, 10:47:49 PM
Nice!

Wiki has a generic page Category:Hackers for it, but not so specific for car designers.
Since hacker's is a bit short sighted  ;)
How about hacker's, modders and creators.

Edit: maybe programmer's instead of hacker's. Since hacker's sounds a bit negative and there is no negative intention.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

afullo

Quote from: Daniel3D on February 17, 2022, 07:33:57 AM
Since hacker's is a bit short sighted  ;)
How about hacker's, modders and creators.

Edit: maybe programmer's instead of hacker's. Since hacker's sounds a bit negative and there is no negative intention.

I agree. Technically hacker does not possess a negative meaning, differently from other terms such as cracker, but in practice media and plain language tend to identify an hacker as someone who does damage by forcing a system in order to obtain personal gains or also for simple vandalism, so it is probably better to use a different term.

Zapper

May I also suggest something like "post release developpers" (after official release), "moddification developers" or even "customization developers"?

I think that "developers" part is not just a word used in programmers scene and is self defining of what some people has done with this game and in or for this community.

Daniel3D

I love that idea "post release developers"Everything that's done can fit in there. And it shows the respect that we have for the game.

It can be accompanied with "post release development" to group all development tools From carblaster to stressed, car edit and carworks. And all in-between.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

Quote from: afullo on February 18, 2022, 03:39:08 PM
I agree. Technically hacker does not possess a negative meaning, differently from other terms such as cracker, but in practice media and plain language tend to identify an hacker as someone who does damage by forcing a system in order to obtain personal gains or also for simple vandalism, so it is probably better to use a different term.

Yup, I intentionally chose the name of the category all those years ago thinking of the positive meaning. Too much starry-eyed idealism, I guess. My suggestion for a replacement name would be "modders": a simple term which is broad enough to cover pretty much everything. In any case, any other term you feel appropriate will be fine.