News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

Replay Handling / RH
A greatly helpful rule in online tournaments, which allows pipsqueaks to simply rewind the replay after a crash, or running off the road, and continue driving from some seconds earlier. This way you can not enter your name in Stunts' internal highscore table, but your final saved replay will be valid for online competitions. RH allows pipsqueaks to save a lot of time, achieve better results, and do insane stunts.   
There is an endless debate on RH in the community, whether it's a good thing, or not, but as there is no way to proof (without the usage of extrenal tools) whether a pipsqueak used RH or not, it's allowed by default.

Power Gear / 6th Gear / PG
Some cars in stunts have the ability to reach a so-called 6th gear. This usually happens while driving in the last official gear with a high RPM, and doing a jump. Some cars can reach it from any speed, when driving on a loop, and shifting to the last gear.
6th gear allows cars to go a lot faster than the given maximum speed and more importantly not even slow down on grass, when driving in 6th gear. These are: Porsche March/INDY, Ferrari GTO, Corvette ZR1 and Acura NSX. The INDY and the Acura can reach power gear from any speed using a loop. The INDY, Ferrari and Corvette go 245 mph in 6th gear, while the Acura only goes 203 mph.

Finding the 6th gear spots on a competition track is the key to victory.
6th gear was officially confirmed by Stunts lead programmer Kevin Pickell as a programming bug.

Ghost
When a person takes part in a competition under different nicknames, the characters created apart from his/her main character is called a ghost. Ghosts can influence competitions in a negative way, especially online votes. The Track Design Contest of 2002 ended in a ghost scandal, when CTG voted with multiple personalities. There are several ghost "myths" alive in the Stunts community, meaning suspicions about whether certain old pipsqueaks were ghosts or not, and who is or is not helping who with replays.

Time hiding / Time hiders
A pipsqueak having a replay but not sending it until the last minute before deadline. A time hider will only send replays where he slows down at the end, beating opponents only with some milliseconds in order to catch leading time. Altough time hiding is considered slightly unethical, it's a key method for winning a track of hard battles. 

Pipsqueak
When racing in Stunts against Otto, and he manages to beat you, he calls you a "young pipsqueak". This term has settled in the Stunts community, often substituting the word "pipsqueak".

ZakStunts / ZSC
Long name: Zak McKracken's Stunts Competition, or Zak's Stunts Competition. An online competition running continuously since March, 2001. It was the first competition which required pipsqueaks to drive different cars each month, and also the first one to implement a fully automatic php based replay sending form and scoreboard system. Altough there were competitions with higher number of participants, ZakStunts is often considered as the most influencing competition of the online Stunts community. 

World Stunts Meeting / WSM
A meeting with a pre-set date and place, where pipsqueaks from all around the world can meet eachother, race stunts, do live stunts, and have fun. Altough it's called a world meeting, by far only European pipsqueaks have gathered. By far there were three WSM's. The first in 2004, taking place in Budapest, Hungary, then 2005, Aarhus, Denmark, and in 2006 Budapest again. In 2007, altough planned, there was no WSM organized. 

Fast Grass
Fast grass is the grass around a chicane. This grass is called fast because, due to a game bug, it functions as road although it looks like grass. You can thus drive as fast on the grass around a chicane as you can on the chicane road or any other road.

OWOOT
OWOOT stands for "One wheel on/over track", and is a rule for certain competitions. The rule means that you cannot make shortcuts, which makes for a totally different, cleaner and more perfectionistic races. The expression and the rule were first developed by Ruepel and Pershing II who made the ISA competition with this rule in 2002. There is one general exception to the OWOOT rule: the grass square in the middle of a jump.

Loopcut
A category of tricks. In most cases, you lose time if you go through a loop the ordinary way. Therefore, in most cases, it is a good idea to go through the loop in a different, shorter and faster way. This is called "cutting" the loop, and has become a word: loopcut/loopcutting. It can be done in several different ways.

Fence sliding
An advanced trick, which allows you to navigate better in power gear. You use the edge-of-map fence to change direction by sliding along it. You can drive into the fence, keeping power gear, and then leave it when you've reached the right place. It is possible to fence-slide across water, which makes for surprising shortcuts on some tracks. This trick was first used on ZCT10 in January 2002.

Magic Carpet
This is the expression used for when your car makes a spontaneous jump from flat ground. Magic Carpets are an unpredictable wildcard in competition races, as they usually allow the pipsqueak to save time by keeping a higher speed, sometimes even reaching or keeping power gear where it would not otherwise be possible. The random nature of magic carpets makes them hard to use and an unpredictability factor, sometimes allowing weaker pipsqueaks to beat stronger pipsqueaks.

But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Zak, I don't edit the post because I don't know what they mean, but I think ISA and IRC should be added.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

I installed Wiki software on the server, it's really simple to use it!

Check it here:
http://stunts.mine.nu/wiki

register and add/edit posts (some help on editing also available on site)

I already added BonzaiJoe's latest posts.

we can still list the ideas for new wiki articles here, maybe some of us don't want to edit the wiki. But please do, if you have some free time. It's a lot of fun and very useful.

You may also add information on yourself, other pipsqueaks, competitions, tracks, opponents, cars, anything related to stunts.

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on December 30, 2007, 10:09:57 PM
I installed Wiki software on the server, it's really simple to use it!

Check it here:
http://stunts.mine.nu/wiki

register and add/edit posts (some help on editing also available on site)

I already added BonzaiJoe's latest posts.

we can still list the ideas for new wiki articles here, maybe some of us don't want to edit the wiki.

Great! That's the best way to share our knowledge, and a perfect complement to the Driving School!

zaqrack

it's great to see Duplode already contributing to the wiki :)

Duplode

The pleasure is mine... ;) BTW, I'm moving Zak and CTG profiles to the Community category, if anybody opposes feel free to switch them back.

Duplode

Well, I created a couple new articles and/or stubs, take a look at http://stunts.mine.nu/wiki/index.php/Special:Contributions/Duplode and make your corrections...
Thinking now about car descriptions/comments, it is better to have just one page (or eventually two to include cheat cars) or have one article for ach relevant car?

zaqrack

I think each car deserves its own, many of them have special abilities which should be noted (countach, acura, corvette, etc)

and you really already worked a lot, seems like you're accustomed to wiki editing :)  thanks, keep up the good work!

Chulk

@ Duplode: Your contributions are very interesting! Well done!
@ Everybody: I'll add some comments when I have more time.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

http://stunts.mine.nu/wiki/index.php/ZakStunts

I wrote what I wanted to wrote - the history of ZakStunts.

CTG

CTG

About Zak: "never ever winning a single track in his career. "

FALSE!!! Remember Kalpen's longest race...

ctrack34.trk (September):
Zak McKracken: 1.36.85
Roy Wiegerinck: 1.39.40
Ben Snel: 1.43.90
CAP: 1.47.25
Juank 23: 1.50.55
Takenhoe (Czech Republic): 2.05.75
Brambi (Poland): 2.06.35
ACE (Australia): 2.06.55
Javik (Germany): 2.07.40
Osiris: 2.07.65
Dark Alex (Russia): 2.14.10
Stardust: 2.17.25
Boo Boo Kitty (USA): 2.22.50
KHR: 2.26.25
JTK: 2.33.40
Zeljko (?): 2.44.90

zaqrack

Quote from: CTG on December 31, 2007, 01:48:37 AM
About Zak: "never ever winning a single track in his career. "

FALSE!!! Remember Kalpen's longest race...

Roy had a better time, which was also sent and confirmed by JTK, just the update was missing :(

CTG

I won't change the stats as Kalpen site still says this result. :)

CTG

Embedded videos are disabled... :(