News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts WIKI

Started by BonzaiJoe, December 30, 2007, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: Duplode on January 22, 2021, 01:51:57 AM
Quote from: afullo on January 22, 2021, 01:16:08 AM
Hmm, is there a track (Vancouver) inside DEFAULT.RPL ? Mine (BB 1.1) is 2.8 KB, so it cannot contain both DEFAULT.TRK and VANCOUVR.TRK...  :o

In the 1.1 versions as originally distributed, there is a DEFAULT.RPL replay which was driven on the "hidden" VANCOUVR track. viniciusferrao and dstien have covered the details in this thread. (I probably should add some footnotes to the table to better explain this sort of thing.)

For a long time i thought the replay to be coded somewere. (i never kept replays so i didn't overwrite it)
but extracting the track from the replay is actualy verry simple. (can be done in stunts for any replay you dont have the track of)
QuoteFor those, like me, who didn't know this

Load the replay form options,
choose restart driving,
Drive or not, if you do, you'll get a insert track disk in drive B message at the high score because the track is not found.
go back to the menu
Go to tracks, here the track is visible
edit the track and save. it will get the right name as well.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

In the 90's, I had many replays whose track I had lost. I used to watch them wishing that I still had the track. In some cases, watching carefully, I tried to memorise the path and then recreate the track. That was only at the very beginning. Soon I became comfortable with binary files and with a quick look, I realised that the tracks were entirely contained in the replays, so I made a simple tool to extract them at that time. Of course, if I had been more thoughtful, I would've realised I could've done it within Stunts, but I had only had my computer for a few months :P
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on January 24, 2021, 10:55:23 PM
Of course, if I had been more thoughtful, I would've realised I could've done it within Stunts,

I has been staring me in my face for over 25 years. It's obvious in hindsight. Doesn't mean it's easy to discover.
Some on the forum might be knowing of this for years but have never mentioned it because it's so obvious. 8)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

I guess it's similar to the trick to sign the scoreboard after RH. It's something that one can reason that can be done before actually trying it, but because we don't normally expect it, we don't stop to think about it and so, it took relatively long for people to come up with that.

GTAManRCR

Quote from: KyLiE on January 23, 2021, 02:40:34 AM
Quote from: Duplode on January 22, 2021, 11:39:09 PM
The one I was thinking of was the left corner bias -- the bias CTG has been warning us of through all those years.

Yes, that is quite interesting as well.  I always thought CTG was just bad at right hand corners! :P

Also, in case you find it interesting, the version of Stunts that I first played was the Mindscape 13/12/1990 version released by Red Sector.

Only the crack was released by Red Sector, and also that was the version I played back in the summer of 2014, when I didn't have desktop internet connection, playing loud musics with Windows Media Player, playing the game without DOSBox, on my old IBM computer I wish I still have but didn't last long
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

KyLiE

Quote from: GTAMan18 on February 26, 2021, 02:24:56 PM
Only the crack was released by Red Sector

I know, I meant in terms of a warez group release, not an official release.

GTAManRCR

Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Duplode

I put the "confirmation pending" there because I kinda suspected the issues with rewinding I had were a DOSBox-X artefact. Thanks for confirming that.

alanrotoi

I would like to add all the info collected about both seasons of 4dsL. Every scoreboard, every pipsqueak, countries, times, stats and more stuff. I don't want to make a mess so when I upload it I'll ask here if you please can check it.

Oh I should update Melange page too.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on January 23, 2021, 07:13:50 AM
This is the screen that appears when starting the Stunts 1.0 version I have. I also see there is a SMAX program there. It looks like that one is the crack, then STUNT.COM is the one that loads this start screen.

By the way, what does this left corner bias consist of exactly?  Physicists would say that the Stunts space-time violates C-symmetry  ;D  I'm pretty sure it violates T-symmetry too. P-symmetry... uhm... what would that be in Stunts?  ::)

There are two things that I've tried to resolve about Stunts but seem like a mystery. I'll create a thread about them to discuss... maybe we in the community know more than one another thinks.

I had the Budokan copy from RedPont. And many more that I can't remember ;D

The shop near my home back in early 90's was Megasoft. It was small and dark full of computer magazine posters and kids. I bought my late childhood there :D

Cas

Ah!  That was a wonderful time!  I was at high school in 1993 and we had normal classes from Monday to Friday and a special lab on Saturdays. This lab started at 10am and was just a couple of hours long. Because the school was near downtown, it was the perfect moment to go and buy games. So sometimes, I would meet with my friends before the lab class at the (pirate) software shop. The place was small and they had a catalog you could look at while you waited. Sometimes, there were so many people packed there!  But if we would go early enough, like about 8am, then it was all for us. The catalog consisted of a dot-matrix printed list of game titles, with the size of the game (in HD floppies) and a few other marks and flags. We'd go down the list and if a title was appealing, we'd ask the guy there what it was about. The seller was young too and he was usually very honest about his impression of the game. We'd ask if it had hot-seat multiplayer and things like that.

Many times, one of the guys there was playing a game that had recently been added to the collection and we could watch him play because he had an additional monitor connected that faced the entrance. In the background, they had four or five computer boxes with two floppy drives each, whose LEDs were flashing. They had a duplication program running there all the time. All they had to do was insert two disks and the program would automatically start copying. It was the most pirate and amazing thing those days!  ;D

Daniel3D

Wow, that was not possible here in the Netherlands.
Here pirated games came from a guy that knew a guy. A network probably similar to drugs trade  8)
So quite depending on supply.

When CD ROM came it became a bit easier.
I remember 'crazy bytes' 4double CD-ROMs filled with stuff.

In 2007 that guy was sentenced..
Quote... the maker of the Twilight and Crazybytes CDs was sentenced in Utrecht to a fine of 1.5 million euros for 'professionally exercising intentional copyright infringement'. In the period from January 1998 to June 16, 2001, the Dutchman sold countless CDs with which various cracked software packages were illegally distributed. According to the court's calculations, the pirate would have earned a total of 3,698,300 guilders, converted 1,678,215 euros. The judge ruled that this entire amount, after deduction of ten percent, must be paid to the Dutch State as a fine. The judge was not interested in the defendant's defense that this amount cannot be afforded to him
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Wow!  Things were more strict there!  Here, the high boom was up until 1994 and then, that started to change with CDs because most people didn't have a CD burner, so these shops would actually rent game CDs. Around 1996 to 1997, pirate shops began receiving warnings that controls were going to be enforced to stop this and since by then, people had started to have access to their own CD burners, the business wasn't as affordable anyway, so they opted to just stop doing piracy and focus on some other activity. I don't think any of them was ever prosecuted. When it was lucrative, it was easy to do.

alanrotoi

Yep. Those times were a beatiful dream 🙂. Only good memories now.

About stunts wiki, I updated Melange and 4dsL articles. Could somebody take a look for possible grammar errors?

Cas

I gave it a read and found just a few very small details that I corrected. There are some things that in my opinion, are OK, but I'm not sure if you meant exactly that, so I just left them as they are.