News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts Olympic Games 2008

Started by Mark L. Rivers, April 14, 2008, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark L. Rivers

I'm glad to inform you about a new Stunts event: The Stunts Olympic Games 2008!
Beginning from the 8th June 2008 until the 29 June 2008, SDR will admit the new happening open to all drivers!
The Stunts Olympic Games will be quite different from normal contests where usually drivers have to race as fast as possible. In fact, the Games will include 6 different specialties wherewith drivers will have the possibility to show all their skill, but also their fantasy and their desire to enjoy with their loved game!
Drivers won't be obliged to take part in all 6 specialties or games. Everyone will have to choose in how many single games he will want to partake.
Every specialty will have an own classification that will include the assignation of the classic medals: gold, silver and bronze. But there will be also a general classification that will award the drivers who will catch the highest number of gold medals. In case of deuce, it will be considered the silver medals, and eventually the bronze medals.
So we will maybe have more single specialty champions and only one global winner. Anyway, the Stunts Olympic Games don't want to produce tight battles to demonstrate the absolute best driver. Even if every driver will want sure to aim to reach his best as in every normal contest, I hope this event (I repeat, OPEN to all!) could be greeted as a joyful and happy happening, able to arouse something near to the real Olympic spirit!

FORMULA

The Stunts Olympic Games will be articulated in 3 weeks, with two specialties (games) for every week.

GAMES (In alphabetical order)

Crashing - Fastest crash time touching whatever obstacle (Finish pillars, water and terrain excluded).
Flying -Longest aerial time (searching for crazy bugs...).
Jumping - Highest number of jumps in less than 90 seconds.
Powering - Longest Powergear time through a full-obstacle area.
Speeding - Highest speed crashing into a Finish pillar.
Swifting - Fastest time on a very short and simple track (a real millisecond "war").

TRACKS

The Games will be disputed in three different "locations" (tracks): each one of them will admit 2 different Games.

OTHER INFO

You'll find many other details (Program, Cars, Detailed Rules for every specific game) visiting the official site, soon ready!  :)

Chulk

Idea sounds good. Let's see what happens once the competition begins.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

Excellent idea, Mark, I love it! Hope the schedule won't be too tight - 6 events in 3 weeks sounds hard.

BonzaiJoe

Great :) I've always wanted to see non-racing competitions. Only problem is I will be very busy in that whole period.
But we can't be quite sure.

JTK

LOL, great! I'm not at home in the last week of the event, but I have to take part. Very nice idea, indeed!
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Krys TOFF

Funny concept, it's music to my ears. ;-) Sounds like playing FlatOut mini-games in Stunts. ;D

A best crash competition attempt was done in Lucas' forum (where there was 4DSL and WSC forum originally) and had no success. Let's hope more success to this one.

Quote from: MarkSwifting - Fastest time on a very short and simple track (a real millisecond "war").
That kind of track was used as FStunts competition bonus tracks. Additional rule was to always have the 4 wheels always completely on the road, no exception. It was very short flat tracks with sharp corners : quite boring IMO, but maybe it will be better with Mark's track design.

edit : One question : RH or noRH competition ?

edit 2 : I hope nobody will have to miss this event because of exams (june is often an exam period in north hemisphere).

Chulk

So is in the South hemisphere, right before Winter break (Which is in July). Anyway, there is a higher chance you'll see me there during that period than during Olympics time...  ;D
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Good luck in organizing it. What a shame I can't take part... :D

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: Chulk on April 15, 2008, 02:05:51 AM
Idea sounds good.

Quote from: zaqrack on April 15, 2008, 10:23:21 AM
Excellent idea, Mark, I love it!

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on April 15, 2008, 11:04:23 AM
Great :) I've always wanted to see non-racing competitions.

Quote from: JTK on April 15, 2008, 11:31:21 AM
LOL, great! .... Very nice idea, indeed!

Quote from: Krys TOFF on April 15, 2008, 12:06:01 PM
Funny concept, it's music to my ears. ;-)

Wow, I'm really happy seeing this enthusiasm after my announce!  :) :) :)

Anyway, it seems there could be some problems about the period choosen...  ::)

Quote from: zaqrack on April 15, 2008, 10:23:21 AM
Hope the schedule won't be too tight - 6 events in 3 weeks sounds hard.

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on April 15, 2008, 11:04:23 AM
Only problem is I will be very busy in that whole period.

Quote from: JTK on April 15, 2008, 11:31:21 AM
I'm not at home in the last week of the event, but I have to take part.

edit 2 : I hope nobody will have to miss this event because of exams (june is often an exam period in north hemisphere).

Well, I chose June in order of:

1) Not to overlap the event with the start of FTT. Last thing I wanted was calling away the attention form the new Krys' competition...  :)
2) A period not so intense for me, even if actually I can't manage a event longer than 3 weeks...  ::)
3) Quite standard period of real Olympic Games...  ;)

Moreover, I chose form the 8th to the 28th of the month just not to overlap the start and the end of usual contests.

Anyway, if you think it would be better, I could anticipate the event starting from 19th May (or even the 12th May), or posticipate it, but only for a week...

Waiting for your suggestions, here it is the official logo of the event...!  ;)

BonzaiJoe

I think not overlapping with the beginning/end of other competition is unimportant compared to finding a time when a lot of pipsqueaks can participate. As for myself, I have to hand in a really big paper at June 13, a smaller one (but not that small) at June 18 or 20, and then I'm away June 21-June 28. So it could hardly be worse for me :) But I would still participate.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers
Well, I chose June in order of:

1) Not to overlap the event with the start of FTT. Last thing I wanted was calling away the attention form the new Krys' competition...  :)
Thanks for that Mark.
But you know, I just spent 2 hours coding and debugging, and FTT works now (or so it seems, all kind of beta-tests are to be performed), so it will be started long before june. ;)
And as I took more time than expected to start it, I decided to let the FTT tracks last only 3 weeks, so deadline won't be as regular as with ZakStunts.

AbuRaf70

Mark:

Muy buena la idea de los Juegos Olímpicos de Stunts...!!!

Espero logren ser tan exitosos como lo han sido los ISM 2007 y 2008, con los que hemos pasados momentos muy agradables...
Por largo que sea el camino, siempre comienza con el primer paso.

Duplode

Wow, great concept! I'll be sure not to miss it!

(...) quite boring IMO, but maybe it will be better with Mark's track design.

Yup, one thing I trust is Mark's ability to design crazy stuff... ;)

That's an important point - most (if not all) categories won't work well if RH is allowed.

Quote from: Krys TOFF on April 15, 2008, 10:44:06 PM
(...) and FTT works now (or so it seems, all kind of beta-tests are to be performed), so it will be started long before june. ;)

That's nice to hear too... :)

Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: Duplode on April 16, 2008, 01:39:46 AM
Wow, great concept! I'll be sure not to miss it!

(...) quite boring IMO, but maybe it will be better with Mark's track design.

Yup, one thing I trust is Mark's ability to design crazy stuff... ;)

Well, thinking that drivers will have only a week to realize their times, and thinking that there won't be IRC rules (so no forced path), I think that this game won't be anyway boring... But I will try to realize a interesting track, even if not very hard, remembering that there will be only a week...  ;)

Quote from: Duplode on April 16, 2008, 01:39:46 AM

That's an important point - most (if not all) categories won't work well if RH is allowed.

Sincerly, I had thought that every game would be competed with RH... Now, after reading this comment, I've just tried to think if some games can be competed with NORH... Well, thinking that a NORH competition usually demands a higher number of trials to realize decent results (above all in unusual races as these games), and thinking that there will be 2 games for every single week, I don't think that NORH could be the ideal solution... Moreover I think that some games (above all Powering and Jumping, but sure even Flying) could be funny and interesting only with a RH competition... About Swifting, Speeding and (even if a bit less) Crashing, a NORH competition could be interesting, but... only a limited number of drivers has realized DOSBox videos until here, maybe because they don't know to use it or configure it. So, I wouldn't want unvoluntary to impede them to participate...  ::)
But I will evaluate all your suggestions!   ;)

Instead, about anticipating the event, I ask all you if the date 17th May-7th June (instead 8-28 June) could be better in order to permit to all you to participate. After your comments about this, I'll communicate you the definitive date within the end of April!  :)

BonzaiJoe

That would be better for me. I would still be busy, but not at the same level, and during that period I am only away May 17-19.
I agree it should be with replay handling.