News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

new cars for 2009

Started by zaqrack, October 08, 2008, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Dear all,

sorry for any possible typos, I am typing this from Budapest Arport on my PDA. By the way the  Seventeen Seconds album from Cure is still great. ;)

For the 2009 season of Zakstunts here I open a contest of new cars. A maximum of 3, but maybe only one non-stock cars will be included in the next season of zakstunts. These cars can be work-in-progress cars or completely new creations.

Criterias for the cars are t
e following:

- Balanced performance (no cheat-car)
- Unique bodywork made in stressed, car must be recognisable only by look.
- Slower cars without power gear enjoy preference (it is no requirement though)
- Properly made Stunts datasheet
- Dashboard may be unchanged from a stock car but must be completely functional. (unlike the rev meter in Melange)
- The selection of cars will be entirely made by my standards.
Please send the produced cars to zaqrack@stunts.hu mail address. Deadline is the 30th of November. Short test will follow this, and the accepted cars will be announced and used with the new season.

Zak

CTG

I would like to see a Stunts truck race... ;D

Mark L. Rivers

A contest of new cars: wonderful news!  :)
I "race" with Speedgate XSD (I have not time to elaborate a new car with Car Blaster and anyway I don't think to succeed in a better result). So, even if I'm tuning its current look with Stressed, you can already test Speedgate XSD about its drive perfomances. Please, Zak, tell me if you need something else (beside final look) to make complete its candidature.

Duplode

Great initiative Zak! That will force me to finally retake work on my cars  :) As of now, I do not know if my entry in this will be the GT3 with updated looks or the to-be-finished Skyline, but anyway you can test the former already, as I won't change its performance data. Just a question, Zak:

Quote from: zaqrack on October 08, 2008, 02:37:04 PM
- Dashboard may be unchanged from a stock car but must be completely functional. (unlike the rev meter in Melange)

I thought Melange's rev meter was functional... what is wrong about it? One of the issues I have to solve on the Skyline is the meter behaviour, so I need to be sure it will work according to the right specifications.

Chulk

How about Krys' F1 car? Is it ready?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on October 08, 2008, 05:06:43 PM

I thought Melange's rev meter was functional... what is wrong about it? One of the issues I have to solve on the Skyline is the meter behaviour, so I need to be sure it will work according to the right specifications.

well its functional, but it can be rather annoying that you don't know for the first time, when to shift gears. Of course with proper car descriptions attached this can be solved,  but still I'd rather prefer completely new dashboards, where the rev meter is centerd at the center and you have to change at the red line.
Or if this is too complicated, one of the original dashboards without modification.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Chulk on October 08, 2008, 06:11:57 PM
How about Krys' F1 car? Is it ready?
Not fully : I want to modify car shape and I was unable to get a powergear effect. Maybe I'll keep it this way, we'll see until november, but for sure the F1 2002 will be proposed. ;)

dstien

I really like this idea. I'm more than willing to help out if there are any technical issues. Tuning is next on my list for resource type support in stressed. Can CarBlaster edit dashboard settings?

I do have some plans for making my own cars, maybe I have one ready for the 2012 season. :D

Duplode

Quote from: dstien on October 09, 2008, 09:29:09 PM
I really like this idea. I'm more than willing to help out if there are any technical issues. Tuning is next on my list for resource type support in stressed. Can CarBlaster edit dashboard settings?

I do have some plans for making my own cars, maybe I have one ready for the 2012 season. :D

Cool! (to all of the three comments :)) And yes, CarBlaster can be used to tune dashboard settings, as they are *.RES parameters as well - it only requires some patience to adjust all points on the course of the meters. The bytes and coordinates used to do so are described on the Wiki.

Quote from: Krys TOFF on October 09, 2008, 05:43:26 PM
Not fully : I want to modify car shape and I was unable to get a powergear effect. Maybe I'll keep it this way, we'll see until november, but for sure the F1 2002 will be proposed. ;)

Krys: out of curiosity, what are the mass and drag coefficients of your F1 car? (definitions here) Maybe something could be done about PG with a little more experimentation...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode on October 10, 2008, 05:16:14 AM
Krys: out of curiosity, what are the mass and drag coefficients of your F1 car? (definitions here) Maybe something could be done about PG with a little more experimentation...
I studied NSX and Indy to try to find a "relation" of their settings and the powergear, and I found nothing clear. It seems the game engine has more than 1 way to produce powergear bug effect.
I don't know the mass and drag coef, I must check at home (I'm at my job right now).
As far as I remember, I decreased the car mass and the brake effect (to implement a bigger inertia), while I increased the aerodynamic resistance a little. I reduced the grip too.

CTG

Just a little help for car designing, "blueprints" of many-many cars are available here: http://carblueprints.narod.ru/

Who will design Veyron first?  :D

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on October 10, 2008, 01:47:51 PM
I studied NSX and Indy to try to find a "relation" of their settings and the powergear, and I found nothing clear. It seems the game engine has more than 1 way to produce powergear bug effect.
I don't know the mass and drag coef, I must check at home (I'm at my job right now).
As far as I remember, I decreased the car mass and the brake effect (to implement a bigger inertia), while I increased the aerodynamic resistance a little. I reduced the grip too.

I asked about mass and drag because, back when I was doing experiments for the Skyline, I noticed that it appears that some mass/drag combinations can trigger powergear and anti-powergear effects. I tried to formulate a theory, which you can find here. It sort of worked in about half of the cases, and with a bit of luck it might lead to an adequate set of parameters...

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 02:31:08 PM
Just a little help for car designing, "blueprints" of many-many cars are available here: http://carblueprints.narod.ru/

That's really helpful, thanks! I was wondering about using Gran Turismo screenshots as basis for the Skyline model when I get to do it, but this can make it much easier  :)

CTG

Due to the polygon limit, I'll give a try to simple shaped cars like primitive Jeep models, Renault 5 or Lada 2107 first. My final goal is to make the real KITT. ;)

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode on October 10, 2008, 05:39:26 PM
Quote from: Krys TOFF on October 10, 2008, 01:47:51 PM

I asked about mass and drag because, back when I was doing experiments for the Skyline, I noticed that it appears that some mass/drag combinations can trigger powergear and anti-powergear effects. I tried to formulate a theory, which you can find here. It sort of worked in about half of the cases, and with a bit of luck it might lead to an adequate set of parameters...

Interesting, I missed this part in the wiki. Thanks Duplode. ;)

zaqrack

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2008, 07:31:25 PM
Due to the polygon limit, I'll give a try to simple shaped cars like primitive Jeep models, Renault 5 or Lada 2107 first. My final goal is to make the real KITT. ;)

Please, forget the Renalut 5. Do the Citroen AX and you have a sure way to the 2009 season fame :)