News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

new cars for 2009

Started by zaqrack, October 08, 2008, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Quote from: dstien on December 01, 2008, 12:29:34 PM
Cruising around DEFAULT.TRK hasn't been this interesting in decades. ;)

'Cause you missed ZCT 79. ;D

zaqrack

wonderful work from both of you, after a half hour of testing I can already conclude that the Speegate and the Skyline both made it to ZakStunts 2009. The Speedgate is a bit too fast for my taste, but that is my individual problem, with the given background it is completely reasonable. (I will have to learn driving fast cars after all, gosh... :)
I did not see any major bugs which need modification - the cars are OK in their current form.

There is still one free slot for another car, I received no more applications. I see the following options in this state:

- Melange by Alan -> the .res is OK. Uniquely distinguishable  bodywork and proper dashboard (and rev. needle) are needed.
- Ford Ranger by Cody -> the bodywork is OK (with some minor glitches at the last color option) But with the current .res I can't accept this car for the competition. The mistakes to be fixed in order to let the car qualify for ZakStunts:

• The most important: proper, realistic skidding is needed.
  • Acceleration should be also significantly lower for such a chassis.
  • RPM display on dashboard should enter red line around 5500rpm.
  • As for the top speed, I don't mind if its faster than the "factory default" Ranger, but in this case the datasheet should reflect these values. (Like an american muscle-car tuned Ranger, with ~300BHP
- Any other car made from scratch or based on previously made materials. 
- No other car, and we'll start with 14 cars. 

As I'll only start the car evaluations for the next season on the 20th of December, I can extend the deadline to this date for a third car, if the scheduled completion is announced here this week. Cars made in coproduction are also welcome.

Zak

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on December 01, 2008, 05:52:24 PM
wonderful work from both of you, after a half hour of testing I can already conclude that the Speegate and the Skyline both made it to ZakStunts 2009.

:) - not only due to the Skyline but also because I will really love to make use of the Speedgate next season! Thanks!

- Melange by Alan -> the .res is OK. Uniquely distinguishable  bodywork and proper dashboard (and rev. needle) are needed.

It would be interesting to know whether Alan has some concept about what an unique 3D shape for his creation should look like...  ;)

- No other car, and we'll start with 14 cars. 

You meant 13 (11+2) cars, right? In that case, there would be (theoretically) another free slot?

Edit: Just one minor thing, Zak: I just noticed I forgot to change the line termination on the Skyline readme from Unix to DOS, a minor annoyance to Windows users. I rectified the zip on my previous post, so before you make the Skyline zip available elsewhere can you please re-download it?

zaqrack

yes, definitely. and I meant 13 :)

Mark L. Rivers

wonderful work from both of you, after a half hour of testing I can already conclude that the Speegate and the Skyline both made it to ZakStunts 2009.

I'm really happy, Zak!  :) Racing in ZakStunts is the highest honour for a car, and I'm very glad that you reserved this honour to Speedgate XSD...  :)
But I'm really very happy to see on board the Skyline R32 GT-R too!  :) I just tested it and I think it's really great, Duplode! You did a marvelous work tuning the car so to have the impression to drive a real car indeed! I liked (as it's known...  ;)) a car with a good grip, and if Skyline was only a bit more "attached" to the asphalt... it would be already true love between it and me... (but this could anyway become true...  ;)). In evry case, it's really great, and your work really amazing!  :)

Duplode

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on December 02, 2008, 11:48:04 AM
But I'm really very happy to see on board the Skyline R32 GT-R too!  :) I just tested it and I think it's really great, Duplode! You did a marvelous work tuning the car so to have the impression to drive a real car indeed! I liked (as it's known...  ;)) a car with a good grip, and if Skyline was only a bit more "attached" to the asphalt... it would be already true love between it and me... (but this could anyway become true...  ;)). In evry case, it's really great, and your work really amazing!  :)

Wow, I'm really glad to see you liked my civilian road car maybe as much as I enjoyed your furious GT1 beast :) :) About the grip levels, indeed they were almost like you suggested (about 5% higher) until a few days ago, but then on the final tests they were slightly reduced in order to make powersliding and sliding jumps more viable (and, hopefully, less RH-reliant) at moderate speeds (one of the things that frustrate me a bit with the regular IMSA cars, for instance).

alanrotoi

Thanks for using Melange! I wonder why nobody likes the dashboard... it was the unique to fit the digital speedometer properly. :(

The rev. needle is easy, it just got the top rpm at the triangle :)

zaqrack

we love the digital speedometer. just that rev needle is the annoying thing.
I still need a proper bodywork for the Melange to let it run in 2009...  :(

CTG

Talking with Alan he showed me a possible model for Melange. If he'll make it by Stressed, it will be so cool... ;)

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on December 07, 2008, 11:23:50 PM
Talking with Alan he showed me a possible model for Melange. If he'll make it by Stressed, it will be so cool... ;)

Oh my, that's truly lovely  :) :)

zaqrack

well if it will be done on schedule I'm okay with 4 extra cars next year...

BonzaiJoe

I believe we have quite enough cars... This will make it much more difficult for newbies to join, because they have to download four new cars (and learn how to install a new car) in order to seriously play along in the competition.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

I will release the required cars in one pack together and also they will be bundled to the Stunts zip downloadable from ZakStunts

BonzaiJoe

I still think you are overestimating the patience of a newcomer :)

Imagine if you are visiting an unusual, unknown site of a game you kind of like and want to check out. How long will you concentrate in order to navigate the site and find out how exactly to participate in a competition?

As it is now, I think Zakstunts is already too difficult for newbies. You need "JOIN THE COMPETITION" in big letters in the middle of the screen, right after a short, to the point description of what the competition is and how it works. Then a step by step guide: 1. download the game (+"skip if you already have it" +link to bugfix subforum), 2. Download this month's track, 3. Information about replay handling and links to noRH competition sites (+DOSBox download and noRH rules), 4. Information about Zakstunts rules, particular an easily understandable description of the car bonus rule, 5. Enter your name and country and profile info. These should be separate, linked pages.

But of course it all depends on the vision for Zakstunts. In 2006 or 2007, you intended it to be a special elite competition. In that case, it's not so important to be newbie-friendly. If Zakstunts is meant to be the center and entrance gate to the Stunts community, as I think it could be great if it was, it is indeed important.
But we can't be quite sure.

zaqrack

You are absolutely right... ZakStunts rules and introduction is still based on what I wrote 8 years ago... shame...
But I'll have a 17 day long break from work starting the 20th of December and I plan major reorganization (no redisgn or structure redesign, but stuff improving usability) to the site. Thanks for the tips, they'll be all implemented in some form and more are always welcome!