News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Shape ideas

Started by CTG, October 22, 2008, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

On the other hand, I don't know if your wheels have anything to do with the behaviour of the vehicle. As known from the other tread I'm working on a compact kart like vehicle. So far however I haven't been able to convince it of it really being smaller, it can drive into objects hitting them only with air. The 3D model appears to be cosmetic, it is not the basis of the cars physical behaviour. So you can probably make a model of a bike, if you don't mind looking at a bike that doesn't pend over...

Duplode

Yes, that's a known limitation: the physical model is separated from the 3D model, and we don't know where it is. The problem with the wheels is the game will assume the first two polygons on the list (or the first twelve vertices, I don't remember exactly) are the front wheels and will use them for coordinate transformations - and thus you might end up with the nose of your car being steered as you turn the wheel.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Duplode on February 20, 2009, 11:49:35 PM
The problem with the wheels is the game will assume the first two polygons on the list (or the first twelve vertices, I don't remember exactly) are the front wheels and will use them for coordinate transformations - and thus you might end up with the nose of your car being steered as you turn the wheel.
Good to make all the front part of a bike shape turn when you turn right or left then. ;)

Overdrijf

Would it work if you'dd make a 6-wheeled vehicle? In reality such a vehicle would need to steer with it's front and back wheels, but would it need to in stunts?

Duplode

Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 21, 2009, 04:12:48 PM
Good to make all the front part of a bike shape turn when you turn right or left then. ;)

Unfortunately that would likely not work. While I haven't dug deep on how the game does the linear transformations that make the wheels change direction (dstien may know more than me in that respect), you probably can't use more than 12 vertexes as "front wheels". Six of them would be the actual front wheel, so you'd have to make the fork, handlebar and other stuff in the front part with six vertexes only, and then you'd have to worry with whether it's possible to make the steering movement convincing...

Quote from: Overdrijf on February 22, 2009, 04:34:49 PM
Would it work if you'dd make a 6-wheeled vehicle? In reality such a vehicle would need to steer with it's front and back wheels, but would it need to in stunts?

As long as only two wheels have to be steered you can add as many others as you wish  :) The classic example is LM002 step tyre attached to its rear, which is described on the *.3SH just like any of the other wheels.

Overdrijf

On the other had, who needs wheels anyway? A tank with tracks, that's a challenge. A hoovercraft would be fun too...

Duplode

The tank seems very doable actually, assuming you don't have to worry about the actual movement of the tracks... put two very long rear wheel (so they won't steer), decorate them as well as possible and then make the front wheels invisible.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on February 22, 2009, 08:54:28 PM
The tank seems very doable actually, assuming you don't have to worry about the actual movement of the tracks... put two very long rear wheel (so they won't steer), decorate them as well as possible and then make the front wheels invisible.
And for a hovercraft you need to use the first 12 vertexes to make a propellor at the back. and then an invisible polygon undernetah the vehicle to make it hover.
Too bad you can't make any parts go underground, otherwise you could make a boat. :)

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on February 22, 2009, 10:25:43 PM
Too bad you can't make any parts go underground, otherwise you could make a boat. :)

That in fact hadn't actually been tried. And it is less impossible than it seems  :)

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on February 22, 2009, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: Overdrijf on February 22, 2009, 10:25:43 PM

That in fact hadn't actually been tried. And it is less impossible than it seems  :)

It has been tried, yesterday, by me. And it is important when you jump, that's when the boat has to leave the water, it would be really cool if there was actually something in the water before that point. It could look really stupid on loops and stuff too.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: OverdrijfWould it work if you'dd make a 6-wheeled vehicle?
Hell yeah ! I want to play this famous Tyrrell F1 in Stunts !

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on February 20, 2009, 11:49:35 PM
Yes, that's a known limitation: the physical model is separated from the 3D model, and we don't know where it is. The problem with the wheels is the game will assume the first two polygons on the list (or the first twelve vertices, I don't remember exactly) are the front wheels and will use them for coordinate transformations - and thus you might end up with the nose of your car being steered as you turn the wheel.

I recon there are two good options:
1 Every car uses the same simple physics model. This one seems unlikely, the lancia does appear to really be shorter than other cars.
2 It has something to do with all those parameters that don't have an explanation on them in car blaster. Some of the series of bars really are shorter for shorter cars. However, that could be more of a result than a cause. I'm going to look in to this one when I can find the time, put it's gonna take some puzzling, since at least some of these series appear to have limitations on how much or on which sides you are allowed to shorten them, plus I've already played arround with them and now my kart is heavier or something like that on one side, landing on two wheels after every jump.
If that's not it, I'll live with it.

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on March 03, 2009, 12:27:32 AM
(...) plus I've already played arround with them and now my kart is heavier or something like that on one side, landing on two wheels after every jump.

Cool!  :o Can you recall which addresses you used to achieve that effect? As of now my experiments with the mysterious bytes in CarBlaster only led me to locate bytes that would make the car go forward/backward or rotate in the plane of the ground on its own - rotation on the z axis is definitely new!

Chulk

Maybe that can make the car spin longitudinally when jumping with only half of the car on the ramp, and the other half in the air!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on March 03, 2009, 01:31:07 AM
Quote from: Overdrijf on March 03, 2009, 12:27:32 AM
(...) plus I've already played arround with them and now my kart is heavier or something like that on one side, landing on two wheels after every jump.

Cool!  :o Can you recall which addresses you used to achieve that effect? As of now my experiments with the mysterious bytes in CarBlaster only led me to locate bytes that would make the car go forward/backward or rotate in the plane of the ground on its own - rotation on the z axis is definitely new!

One of those 3 series, but I don't know which one anymore since I edited them all. I'll get to trying editing them one by one to see what they do, that's probably more constructive. The last and longest series looks like it has something to do with length, but I have no idea about the rest. Might be the second one, the one with the long bars.