News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Interesting yet useless facts...

Started by Chulk, November 24, 2008, 11:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

Quote from: CTG on February 25, 2009, 03:41:41 PM
Quote from: lised on February 24, 2009, 10:05:39 PM
being beautiful

You ARE beautiful! ;)

Yeah, you are alone. It's the reading books part I'm not certain about. ;)

As an attempt to stay on topic: it's an interesting but useless fact that the jackdaws in our garden have learned to acces food on a string by pulling up the string with their beak, placing their foot on it and repeating that process a few times. Let's see what I can come up with to make it just a little harder on them...

Chulk

Did you now that Marcha de San Lorenzo, an Argentinian Military March about San Lorenzo Battle where 140 Cavalry men commanded by Lt. Colonel San Martin (you know, "El libertador") defeated 250 Spanish troups without firing a single shot is really famous around the world and is considered one of the best 5 military partitures.
It was/is used in many important situations, see below:

* The Brittish government asked for permission and they played it when King George V was crowned (22-June-1911)

* Same thing with Queen Elizabeth II (2-June-1953)

* They play it at Buckingham Palace with Guards shift change, only stopped playing it during Malvinas War (at least they had some respect after all...)

* It was incorporated in Uruguayian, Brazilian and Polish military band's répertoire, amongst others.

* It was used in some war movies (Saving Private Ryan).

* Argentinian Army (before the Nazism) gifted "Marcha de San Lorenzo" to the German Army as a sign of friendship and in exchange German army gave "Alten Kameraden" (old Comrades).

* During WWII "Marcha de San Lorenzo" was played by the German when they invaded Paris and passed right by the 'Arc de Triomphe' 

* General Dwight Einsenhower played it as well when Allied Army freed Paris, as relief.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Kamehameha wasn't invented by Toriyama Akira (creator of Dragonball)...

Quote from: wikipedia
Kamehameha I (Hawaiian pronunciation: [k?meh??m?h?]; c. 1758 – May 8, 1819), also known as Kamehameha the Great, conquered the Hawaiian Islands and formally established the Kingdom of Hawai?i in 1810. By developing alliances with the major Pacific colonial powers, Kamehameha preserved Hawai?i's independence under his rule. Kamehameha is remembered for the K?n?wai M?malahoe, the "Law of the Splintered Paddle", which protects human rights of non-combatants in times of battle. Kamehameha's full Hawaiian name is Kalani Pai?ea Wohi o Kaleikini Keali?ikui Kamehameha o ?Iolani i Kaiwikapu kau?i Ka Liholiho K?nui?kea.

alanrotoi

Usrin

Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Usrin

Some of you might be also interested in the number of metal bands per 100.000 people:
http://www.boredpanda.com/interesting-maps/?image_id=fun-maps-2-34.jpg

For the case if there are any girls around here:
http://www.boredpanda.com/interesting-maps/?image_id=fun-maps-2-53.jpg - look at Hungary!

BonzaiJoe

Must be Akoss Poo raising the average length.
But we can't be quite sure.

BonzaiJoe

Interesting to see Denmark is a clear winner on this one:

http://www.boredpanda.com/interesting-maps/?image_id=fun-maps-2-9.jpg

I moved away when I was 20. Didn't think of that as early at all.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on May 09, 2014, 12:51:27 PM
Interesting to see Denmark is a clear winner on this one:

http://www.boredpanda.com/interesting-maps/?image_id=fun-maps-2-9.jpg

I moved away when I was 20. Didn't think of that as early at all.

In Hungary it was throughout many years very hard to buy a flat/house, the rental flats are also quite expensive. (Now it is easier to some extent.) Many guys and girls are learning on the university or college, since there is a very high rate of admittance (which leads to the fact the quality of the courses are much lower). It is party time during the university years, the student thinks. It is also very difficult to find a job for a man or woman who just finished school.

I moved away when I was 27, and it wasn't easy at all.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

BonzaiJoe

CTG

Did you know about the connection of Uruguay and Hungary? ;)

Quote from: "Wikipedia
Francisco José Debali (July 26, 1791 – January 13, 1859) was a Hungarian-born composer who emigrated to Uruguay in 1838. He authored the national anthem of Uruguay and, possibly, the tune to Paraguayos, República o Muerte, which became the Paraguayan anthem.

Usrin

Long ago, it was mentioned by a Hungarian TV commentator (maybe Jenö Knézy).

CTG