News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Planned new competition - have your say!

Started by Duplode, July 03, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

As the contest I wondered about managing is starting to take shape, I would like to get a few opinions about some organization details. I considered making a series of polls over the next few weeks, but I guess that would only waste everybody's time I'll just post all of my questions here so you can answer them all at once. Other topics might be added for discussion as I analyze the rules further. So, just say your mind  ;)

• What do you think about non-Indy OWOOT (no shortcuts) racing?
    (Great! / No strong opinion / Only with fast cars / No way, boring as hell, etc.)
  • What is your favourite OWOOT racing code?
    (Very strict IRC, no bugs allowed / IRC, minor bugs like boulevard bump allowed, as in WSC / Looser, ISA or IMSA Cup rules)
  • What is your favourite day of the week for race deadlines?
    (Friday / Saturday / Sunday / Mid-week days)
  • What do you think about mixing RH and NoRH races in a single event? (*)
    (Brillant! / Nonsense! / I'd miss the NoRH rounds anyway due to technical issues...)

(*) Note that the idea on question 4 won't be implemented on the first edition of the contest, it's just speculation on future events...

Mingva

1. Great! All cars except indy and no shortcuts sounds cool to me.
2. IRC with minor bugs (bridge trick, blvd jump and similar but no driving through obstacles)
3. Sunday
4. Nonsense! RH and noRH is two different things. Please don't mix 'em.

zaqrack

1. Great!
2. IRC + minor bugs
3. Sunday or Monday
4. I'd like it but only if it does not hinder anyone

Chulk

1- Great!
2- IRC + minor bugs seems fine.
3- Mid-week days/friday
4- Though I love NoRH I think it cannot be done as it will leave some people out...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

alanrotoi

non Indy OWOOTR sux... that rule is fun with the faster cars. A track without shortcuts with acura... or countach... yuck!

CTG

1, Only with fast cars!!! The same as Rotoi said and still some boring cars to add like Carrera and LM002...
2, Very strict IRC
3, It seems I have no time and possibility to race heavily in the next two months (working in three different projects: university, old workplace, new workplace), so my opinion is not that important. My choice would be Sunday anyway.
4, No. I also came up with this idea before starting USC 2008/09 and it wasn't a very popular one.

alanrotoi

about the other questions:

# What is your favourite OWOOT racing code?
(IRC, minor bugs like boulevard bump allowed, as in WSC)

# What is your favourite day of the week for race deadlines?
Day? I think Sunday

# What do you think about mixing RH and NoRH races in a single event? (*)
Nonsense!

Overdrijf

Well, here it goes fo me then:

What do you think about non-Indy OWOOT (no shortcuts) racing?
No strong opinion, I like shotcuts, but the only active competition is already with shortcuts, so I think it's a good idea.
What is your favourite OWOOT racing code?
Looser, ISA or IMSA Cup rules, bugs are part of te game.
What is your favourite day of the week for race deadlines?
Sunday, I'dd generally have more time and motivation for decently fnishing up a race on sunday than on other days.
What do you think about mixing RH and NoRH races in a single event?
Brillant! More people in a race, and a chance for die-hard NORH'ers to show of ther skills.

BonzaiJoe

1. I really miss the Indy. I'm sure it could be fun with other cars too though (but some of them would need some really hard track-design work in order to avoid extreme boredom)

2. My favourite OWOOT code is OWOOT. Plus some necessary exceptions (you can't cut an up/down corkscrew even if you are technically always OWOOT, you can make a ramp jump even though you are techanically not OWOOT in the middle). I guess this means Roy's famous loop cut on some early ISA track would be allowed.

3. Sunday

4. I would miss the noRH parts anyway because of technical issues.
But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

Thank you all for the answers, I guess I have a good overview of what my audience thinks  :) Weighing my stances and your opinions, likely answers for these questions are:

1. In principle, all cars might be used, but the selection will be biased towards the fast ones. Therefore, expect to have, among the four or five rounds of the competition, at least one (possibly two) Indy races and at least one IMSA round - but I'll be sure to include at least one non-Indy/IMSA race as well.

2. Regular IRC rules (except that I'll probably use (TWO)WOOT rather than OWOOT), with minor bugs allowed (boulevard and pipe bumps allowed, loop, slalom and similar bugs obviously forbidden. Bridge/ramp-wall tricks are to be explicitly outlawed as well).

3. Sunday (seems to be the majority opinion, and also the most favourable day for me to do the updates on schedule).

4. Idea shelved - I wasn't going to use it this time anyway. Maybe in one or two years DOSBox usage will be more widespread, we'll see...

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on July 06, 2009, 09:33:56 PMI guess this means Roy's famous loop cut on some early ISA track would be allowed.

Is this lap available from somewhere/someone?

And an additional question about rulebooks: WSC allowed driving on the part directly above the asphalt on tunnel roofs. Did other OWOOT competitions (IRC, etc.) allowed it as well?

Mingva

Roy's loop jump on Bogota: http://stunts.hu/irc/bogota.zip

In IRC was allowed to drive on tunnel's roof.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Mingva on July 08, 2009, 10:17:31 PM
In IRC was allowed to drive on tunnel's roof.
Precision :
IRC and WSC except season 1 => allowed to drive on tunnel's roof part that is above the road, that is at least 1 tyre above the "road zone" of the tunnel roof (seen from above)
WSC season 1=> allowed to drive all part of tunnel roof, even with the 4 tyres over the wall part of the tunnel roof. I remember asking the question to Paleke for a race in 1st season and, if I remember it well, I won that race. Some pipsqueaks signaled that my replay was invalid but as I had asked Paleke before sending my replay en confirmed my replay valid. In order to avoid another issue he decided to not allow it for following seasons.