News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

I think I resolved the old NORH problem

Started by Cas, August 15, 2009, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Phew... finally, I got Vizcacha working again. I had to rewrite it and now there are so difficulties, but I just sent a beta version to be tested. I'll post the pipsqueak version here probably tonight or tomorrow... it's just I'm not sure it will always work.
I have some things in mind to change completely the way it works, ensuring it will be easy for every system to support Vizcacha. But that takes some time, so I hope this version will do the basic job. If it does work, with a couple of touches, I can turn it into a new full version until I develop the other method.
New Zealand is a nice place. It is very safe!  I'm used to so much insecurity in my country and now I feel much better. There are some problems, though, like everywhere. Most activities are closed quite early in the day, for example. But it is really a very enjoyable thing to be here, as I get to know people from everywhere. NZ is certainly worth a visit! :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Hello again Cas!

I did a quick test on my system (Fedora 11, DOSBox 0.73), and Vizcacha reports "no driver activity"/"1Fh (Stunts not found in memory)". In-game, the RH menu commands work normally and the replays aren't signed. I retried a couple times to see whether it wasn't some transitory issue, but results were always the same. Most likely you already expected that, as you mentioned on the e-mail having trouble making it work under Ubuntu. Right now I can't check a Windows system; I attempted, however, to launch Vizcacha from a Win32 DOSBox instalation running on Wine. Surprisingly enough (or not, as I don't know enough to evaluate the results), it fails to work exactly like the Linux version. I will report further if I get to test it under WinXP eventually...

Cas

Yeah, I expected DOSBox to fail. Of course, this does not mean I'm going to be OK with Vizcacha only working under pure DOS and windows, but it would be useful if you had a live CD of FreeDOS to boot with and try it as well, because with FreeDOS it works on my computer. If it also does in yours, I will know that it's the system only and not the computer which causes the incompatibility.
I have been thinking of changing entirely the way Vizcacha loads the driver. There is a problem with a variable, that sometimes is there and sometimes is not. It's no easy task to hack Stunts. Also, I am concerned with the stunts_k program. I fear it may interfere with Vizcacha, because it does a similar job. In the future, once I get the Vizcacha working, I may try to embed stunts_k into it, to make it more stable.
Another thing: when I run Stunts under DOSBox in Ubuntu, I can't use the arrow keys. I have to activate number-lock and use the letter keys instead. Does this same thing happen to you under Fedora?  Do you know how to solve it?  ???

CTG

CTG

Well, I'm afraid you did not resolve the old noRH problem. ::) :D

Vector

Well- i am always noRH, it is terrible.

Marco

Hey what has happen here? ... I red 2009 posts thinking that they were from 2015 ... Ohh noooo.

Cas

Ha, ha... yes... sadly, this project didn't work as expected at that time. I'll probably try facing it a different way in the near future. I really thought I had resolved it back then :(