News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Start competition: 1 October or 1 November? Pointsystem change?

Started by royreiger, September 03, 2009, 02:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royreiger

I'm thinking...  I hope to attract as many drivers as possible. The disadvantage of 1 october is is that I have little time (a month) to promote the competition. Once the competition started the drivers how will race most races probably get the most points. So if u start later in the season your final result wil be less good.
Should I change the point system then?
I prefere 1 november, this gives me time to let the awards be designed and make the site better looking. But if everyone is ready for the competition then I'll start it 1 october.

What do you think?  ::) Have your say....... ;D

Mingva

1 November, if I'd decide to race. My favorite point system is 10-8-6-5-...

BonzaiJoe

I'm a huge fan of the 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system. It's very fair and simple.
But we can't be quite sure.

royreiger

Okay thanks for your comments! I'm a fan of 10-9-.....-2-1 too. What do others think?

SuperBrian

I would say 12-10-9-8 ................ 2-1. I do like the simple 10-1 system, but I think the winner should be treated with a little gift. ;D
About the start of the competition I'm ready in both October and November, but if people are so focused on Z100 as some say, it would probably be more safe to start in November to attract as many as you can.
Charles Dickens said: "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."

royreiger

I think I'll use the 10-9-..-2-1 system. But would it be an idea to give the leading times some attention.
For example. One leading day on the scoreboard means 0.1 point extra. So is you are first on the scoreboard for 10 days, u get 1 point extra. What do you think of this suggestion?

Chulk

Leading time is a good idea, but giving awards for a complete day is a bit difficult because you may lead for 23:59 mins and don't get bonus. Maybe multiplying Leading hours * .01 would be better. So, If you lead for 100 hours, you get 1 point, if you lead by 1 hour, you get 0.01 points. That way, people will fight for leading time even if the don't think it will last long because a leading a single hour would be worth something, and not only an entire day. But it's just an idea and multiplier could be different. What de the other's think?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

royreiger

Nice idea Chulk! But I don't have the possibilities or a great system Zak has for his competition. To keep it simple I look at the fastest time of the day send before 18.00 That time/pipsqueak will get 0.1 point extra. So If u lead for 5 days you get 0.5 points extra. Ik think this is better, to keep the overview/servey. Maybe somebody else has a another idea to keep things organized or something? I'm all ears..... :) 

Duplode

Chulk's suggestion of fractional per-hour LTB is very good. I considered it for the first draft of Southern Cross rules (back when I was feeling brave enough to test all sort of fancy rules into the competition  :)). And offline accounting of LTB points can be done without much trouble by a semi-automated Excel sheet like the one attached below (it is the one I'm currently using for Southern Cross, only with an additional column for points awarded). Just two observations about LTB points:

• .01 points per hour is too much, as it would give 7.2 points for a full-month lead. Probably something between 1/360 and 1/240 points per hour (giving maximum 2 or 3 LTB points respectively) would be better.
  • If you're planning to make it possible to give two or more points of LTB to a single driver I think having a pure 10-9-8-...-1 scoring system would over-emphasize LTB, although you may wish to have that on purpose. This issue is the main reason why I'm partial towards 10-8-6-...-1; SuperBrian's suggestion of 12-10-9-...-1 might be a nice compromise, however.

royreiger

Some very nice ideas! Only problem is I don't understand the statistics completeley, because of my (poor) English. Maybe if some of u guys have MSN, you can explain it on MSN? I never worked with Exel. So maybe I stick to the plan: 0.1 point for the fastest time that day. If u lead for a month u can win Max. 3 points.  Fastest time of the day is the fastest replay send before 18.00pm (GMT+1:00).  
I think this is fair enough, to start with. Btw. I designed the first competition track and I like it!! :)
Hope I'll get the digital awards online next week. A friend said he would design them this weekend :)

Greetzzz,
Roy (Reiger)